5 different types of diabetes identified now

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't make out where LADA fits into this?, Just diagnosed, I am old (57!!), thin, with a positive GAD, what category is that I wonder?? The top 2 state 'young' and the next 2 imply 'overweight' and the last state 'mild', can you be mild if you're on insulin? I guess there are still anomalies within all of that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
But I wonder if in cluster 3, which I would have thought I was in before diagnosis, was the kidney disease in the low HbA1c cohort caused by their medication. As per usual the study probably raises far more questions than it answers.
Insulin therapy like Dr Bernstein suggests to protect pancreas cells and organs for cluster 3? I've dieted for image then pregnancies with insulin therapy so not many years I havent weight watched even thou 16st plus at times. I've only once comfort ate in very very bad time in my
life. (90s). So weight ballooned til i dieted again.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin therapy like Dr Bernstein suggests to protect pancreas cells and organs for cluster 3? I've dieted for image then pregnancies with insulin therapy so not many years I havent weight watched even thou 16st plus at times. I've only once comfort ate in very very bad time in my
life. (90s). So weight ballooned til i dieted again.
I think if I were to start insulin therapy with an HbA1c of 28 I would end up hypoing all day. I'm fairly sure that wasn't what you were suggesting.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think if I were to start insulin therapy with an HbA1c of 28 I would end up hypoing all day. I'm fairly sure that wasn't what you were suggesting.
Definitely not. I was referring to me and link to why my kidney health is superb compared to my peers in cluster 3.
Sorry if you ever thought I'd encourage insulin therapy to any diet controlled diabetic.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
[QUOTE="bulkbiker, post: 1714128, member: 219467] I can't get access to the original article without spending $31.50 access via The Lancet I'll see if I can find it anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Ask your local library they can often get a free print out for you.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely not. I was referring to me and link to why my kidney health is superb compared to my peers in cluster 3.
Sorry if you ever thought I'd encourage insulin therapy to any diet controlled diabetic.
I was pretty sure you weren't it just came across a bit like you were..my bad. Bit tired and full of cold today sorry. M x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="bulkbiker, post: 1714128, member: 219467"I can't get access to the original article without spending $31.50 access via The Lancet I'll see if I can find it anywhere else.

Ask your local library they can often get a free print out for you.[/QUOTE]
I did find a pdf of what I think was the study although I'm afraid to me it was a little gobbledygook... posted it up just after, But thanks for the tip I hadn't thought of the library great idea.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I feel diet only controlled diabetics as 'mild' diabetics.
(ducking for the onslaught... ..) gulp!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was pretty sure you weren't it just came across a bit like you were..my bad. Bit tired and full of cold today sorry. M x
Its a very sensitive area as no medic can just come straight out with it.... to patients, if just self inflicted. Some do self harm with food and it causes diabetes. For some not all. But you have to be predisposed to it too. Remember how many genes were/are related to diabetes?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given we like to know someones fasting inslin level as well as BG, it's great that these new clasifations gives us that. As the paper says more research needs to be done to see if people move between the groups over time.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Given we like to know someones fasting inslin level as well as BG, it's great that these new clasifations gives us that. As the paper says more research needs to be done to see if people move between the groups over time.
Insulin levels change too quickly for me to want to rely on that test.
It could give a bracket I suppose, to use as guide, but endo has it without warranting blood test via medicine response and weight gain behaviour.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I just wonder how many years will pass before a consensus is reached on classifications and this is put into practice. What would it look like by then, 6 or 7, maybe 8 classifications? Will certain testing results and some anecdotal evidence be used for diagnosis and classification? Will this ever be used? Who knows.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Progress is so fast in this area it seems like it was only a thousand years ago or so that diabetes was classified into two types and now seemingly over night it has been acknowledged that there might be more to it than just T1 and T2

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Progress is so fast in this area it seems like it was only a thousand years ago or so that diabetes was classified into two types and now seemingly over night it has been acknowledged that there might be more to it than just T1 and T2
When I was diagnosed (1997) there wasntt even T1 & T2 - just insulin dependent and non insulin dependent. Diabetes. Pre diabetes didnt exist as a diagnostic ( or, I suspect ) conceptual category either

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Avicenna (980–1037) recognized primary and a secondary forms of diabetes which I think would loosley corespond to T1 and T2 in todays terms.

Reactions: mountaintom

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed (1997) there wasntt even T1 & T2 - just insulin dependent and non insulin dependent. Diabetes. Pre diabetes didnt exist as a diagnostic ( or, I suspect conceptual) category either
Back in 1966, I remember only the two types. One was called Juvenile Diabetes, the other was Late Onset Diabete
When I was diagnosed (1997) there wasntt even T1 & T2 - just insulin dependent and non insulin dependent. Diabetes. Pre diabetes didnt exist as a diagnostic ( or, I suspect conceptual) category either
Back in 1966, I remember only the two types. One was called Juvenile Diabetes, the other was Adult Onset Diabetes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't make out where LADA fits into this?, Just diagnosed, I am old (57!!), thin, with a positive GAD, what category is that I wonder?? The top 2 state 'young' and the next 2 imply 'overweight' and the last state 'mild', can you be mild if you're on insulin? I guess there are still anomalies within all of that.
I agree. LADAs like myself (diagnosed at age 60) don't fit into any category. How did this Swedish team with 15K people sampled miss the large number of mid-age, thin, insulin deficient diabetics like ourselves. My c-peptide showed my diabetes wasn't 'mild' whatever that means.

Reactions: mountaintom

JeanCL

The five types are ...
  • MARD - Mild Age Related Diabetes
  • MOD - Mild Obesity Related Diabetes
  • SIDD - Severe Insulin Deficient Diabetes
  • SAID - Severe AutoImmune Diabetes = Type 1 + LADA
  • SIRD - Severe Insulin Resistant Diabetes
Both mild types can be treated with metformin and lifestyle changes. I am not sure which category I would fit best as I was obese (BMI 33) and 63 years old when diagnosed.
some lazy articles on msn front page were still calling type 2 obesity related, disregarding us low BMI diabetics or pre-diabetics!

Reactions: dbr10

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Avicenna (980–1037) recognized primary and a secondary forms of diabetes which I think would loosley corespond to T1 and T2 in todays terms.

Wasn't that a distiction betwwen Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Insipidus?

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I had been tested after I lost 7st in the 80s I would have been put on meds too. It doesn't stop diabetes once it's there. Well not for me.
My symptoms in 70s tells me any hba1c in 80s may have showed prediabetes levels but ignored. If i was tested.
Good diet disguises diabetes on the hba1c test. As we know.
I was diabetic throughout.
I agree with you. I yo-yo'd dieted most of my adult life. Looking back, I will wager I had type 2 way back then, but due to a lack of diagnostic know how, any fasting BG tests those casual tests used then, showed me as OK. But I wasn't. I remember one test was 102mgdl/L (5.7mmol/L) as far back as 20yrs ago, clearly prediabetes numbers, at the very least.