Flu jab 2010/2011

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Diabetics and flu

goji said:
Hi

I would like to know exactly what it is about diabetes that makes diabetics more likely to suffer complications of flu and why we need the flu shot.

Is it that:

a) our immune systems are compromised?

b) Flu is only a problem if we're out of control. Otherwise if control is good, we won't suffer complications of flu?

c) some other reason?

I am debating whether or not to have the jab.
Thanks
Goji

goji.
Have a read of this from our own Community pages on the reasons why you should have a Flu Jab as a Diabetic. The contents of this thread also give various reasons why you should too.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2010/Sep ... 17401.html

Personally, I would advise anybody to have it. When you have had a 'serious' bout of Flu as I once did and nearly died, anything that is likely to protect you from that has to be considered.

Your choice.......

Answers:
A. Yes
B. Not true, even healthy people get Flu.
C. Many reasons

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Re: Flu jab 2010.

I have had the jab for the past several years with no side effects.
The last time I had the flu I felt like nothing on this earth and really like to do anything I can to avoid that happening again.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
flu jab

hey everyone
i have contacted my local gp surgery to book my son in for the flu jab as i had never thought about it before only to find they have run out but should be getting some more in next week, anyway i was worried as over christmas and new year my partner had flu and on the news they are talking about the flu getting worse due to everyone being back to work and school. should i be worried about waiting a week what if he catches it are we going to be in trouble?? just wondered if everyone has the flu jab or not we did go in last year for the swine flu jab but that was because we got a letter inviting us in but have never been invited for a flu jab so was never aware he could have it prob me being silly but thought id ask thanks
anna marie x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yesterday I was in A&E with a family member and the person in the next cubicle was examined and the doctor thought it could be suspected swine-flue, very worrying as we were told to leave and the casualty staff started wearing masks and protective gear as a precaution! :( Not sure if this chap did have swine flu as he was rushed off to a isolation cubicle, just hope he didn't and all is well today.

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I spent soe of last night with a migraine and cold sweats- very worrying as I have not had a vaccination... :(

Fine now, though...

linkinparkfan

Dislikes
I still eat like am not a diabetic LOL
Swine Flu H1H1

i am 15 and am worried about getting the h1h1 i am type 1 insulin and dont wanna die from it i heard people with diabetes are at a greater risk :( :cry:

aboz

Re: Swine Flu H1H1

Have the jab you will be at a higher risk of catching swine flu if you don't, the vaccine helps to stop the flu becoming more agressive.I am diabetic and have had the vaccine since it became available and have not had any flu or any other problems with it. The numbers of fatalities from swine flu you read about media i think around 40 up to now is nothing compared with the 2,500 that die on average every year from normal seasonal flu.

linkinparkfan

Dislikes

aboz said:
Have the jab you will be at a higher risk of catching swine flu if you don't, the vaccine helps to stop the flu becoming more agressive.I am diabetic and have had the vaccine since it became available and have not had any flu or any other problems with it. The numbers of fatalities from swine flu you read about media i think around 40 up to now is nothing compared with the 2,500 that die on average every year from normal seasonal flu.

thanks i know its outta stock at the moment though am on the waiting list

Sue Morton

If you are waiting for the flu jab then just make sure you wash your hands every time you come home and don't touch your lips or face whilst out. If some one sneezes near you cover your nose and mouth and hopefully this might help protected you until you get the jab. Good luck

I had the flu a week before Christmas and was really ill with it a very high temperture and my bed was soaked through sweating then I was freezing cold so cold that I was getting the cramps I didn't want to eat but made myself have chicken soup I don't know what my BS was during this but I was so ill I had no thought of taking my BS. As the flu left me I got a sore throat and all my sinus were bunged up and my ear blocked liked I had cotton wool in it - the sore throat has gone but the bunged up and ear are taking longer to clear and all I have wanted to do is eat since then but I have been careful and my BS 6.1 average is good for me (doc says 6 to 7 Type 2 and am 61).

Most people that die of the flu usually have complications I smoke and have a blood disorder the is incureable but have come through it and I am sure should you get the flu if you have been keeping your self healthy you will have the strength to fight it - I did and am a lot older then you and am smoking not really keeping my self healthy and I know I should pack up I do try to cut down.

Keep checking with your doctor as to when they get the flu stuff.

Look after
Sue :)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!

I always have the jab and have never had any side effects.
My sister who has been db much longer than me refuses to have it on the grounds that there are so many different kinds of flu and it only protects from one source. Me? I'd rather lessen any opportunity to get the dreaded illness!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I had both jabs in November, flu in one arm, pneumonia in the other . . . the practice nurse thinks I'm a dart board . . . No reaction to either.

I had flu in 2008, pre-diabetes, despite having had the injection a month before, and I have never felt so ill in my life! Every joint ached, my head ached, I couldn't move; barely stagger from bed to bathroom. I had tonsilitis and literally couldn't eat and hardly drink for 3 days, like trying to swallow through golf balls with razor blades stuck in them! I barely slept for 3 nights because I hurt so much, and because I had to wake up to hold my head on every time I swallowed saliva.

I am in general never ill - I've averaged one cold a year since 1967. If the "ordinary" flu could do that to me, what would it have been like if I hadn't had the vaccination?

And what would not being able to eat or drink have done to me if I had been diabetic?

I used to get the flu jab because I have (sometimes) seasonal hay-fever and asthma, and I always felt like a fraud for having it. Not in 2008 - I genuinely thought that there was a possibility that I might die. Now I have it every year.

It doesn't hurt! :D

V

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

foxglove said:
My sister who has been db much longer than me refuses to have it on the grounds that there are so many different kinds of flu and it only protects from one source.
it protects from about 3 different strains, and they will be the 3 most common that year in that part of the world. So it does reduce the chance of getting it quite a bit.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.

foxglove said:
I always have the jab and have never had any side effects.
My sister who has been db much longer than me refuses to have it on the grounds that there are so many different kinds of flu and it only protects from one source. Me? I'd rather lessen any opportunity to get the dreaded illness!

How does that logic worse? Surely some protection against a possibly lethal illness is better than none?
What is she gaining by refusing?

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1

hi again well i phoned back up to book in after they had had some delivered only to find they had already booked it all out to people so now my son cant have the flu jab how frustrating i was not amused i have to say
anna marie

linkinparkfan

Dislikes
The new swine flu jab H1N1

i had the new 2011 jab today and for anyone thats worrying it just stings a little tiny bit
five minutes after my arm had a ache that lasted a minute then went i have had no ill affects cause of it i feel fine and the nurse said it will work in 10-14 days so i could still catch the flu xD

DazG

I understand some people are weary of having the flu jab. I had it and felt quite ill for 1 day, then was fine afterwards. My 62 year old dad didnt have it, he is T2 and I have just been to see him at the high dependency unit where he was taken at 5.30am this morning. He has swine flu and pneumonia and as of yet we dont know if he is going to make it.

So, before deciding not to protect yourself, remember that this could very easily be you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daz, sorry to hear about your dad and hope he pulls through.

Nigel

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Do you all get the jab because you are diabetic or are you offered it for other reasons? Is this something that I should be thinking about?

DazG

Hi Fencer.

I was offered it along with the pneumonia jab because of the diabetes.

People do have it for other reasons, but yes diabetes is one of them.