A week till I start the pump eeek!

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
I’m being hooked up in a week and am a mixture of nerves and excitement. I have my accu check insight here to play with. Any tips or advice? I have changed the cartridge now once or twice and I’m about to play with the handset. Also now do people cope with cannula changes?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Picci
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there
I’m being hooked up in a week and am a mixture of nerves and excitement. I have my accu check insight here to play with. Any tips or advice? I have changed the cartridge now once or twice and I’m about to play with the handset. Also now do people cope with cannula changes?
Thanks in advance!

I am not on a pump, MDI, but wishing you good luck and all the very best.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there
Thanks in advance!
Hey! Good luck, I don't have tips because I'm being hooked up 5th March! My insight is being delivered to my home in a few days! I ordered a pump pouch in anticipation :)

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck to you too! That reminds me I must get a pouch or a belt. Where did you order yours from?

steveo4

Good luck to you I would recommend you watch a few videos about the insight on you tube I found them very helpful when I first started.

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had my Insight almost a week & I love it. Today I had to change everything out as I had some stubborn blood levels - but here I am couple of hours later bloods totally back to normal. I still have to double check I'm doing things right and I can't claim that my levels are as good as I'd like but I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.
Good luck
F

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Canula change is easy. I have only done a few as I have been on a pump for about 3 weeks and no pain from a canal change yet. I suspect it's like MDI 99% no problems and every 100th it stings like a bee that has been on a steroid flower an a lovely bruise as a reminder. Therefore once a month on MDI or once a year on a pump no contest.

D

Deleted Account

I am not on an Accucheck but have been pumping for a year.
Any advice?
- don't expect to get your levels right first time. It may take some tweaks but persevere and it will be worth it
- when changing your cannula be methodical. Once you get into a rhythm, it becomes easy but the first few are awkward as it is if you get interrupted mid change.
- it might sting a little when inserting your cannula but not much and not for long.
- if your cannula hurts an hour after insertion, change it: it is not supposed to hurt so if it does, it has not gone in correctly.
- test your BG before changing your cannula and test it a couple of hours later. This will give you a good indication if it is inserted correctly. If your BG is too high after insertion, change your cannula.
- I am not familiar with Accucheck but with a Vibe (sadly, no longer available), you can change your cannula separately to your cartridge so if you make a cannula mistake, you do not have to start from scratch
- there is a lot to learn and a number of things that are different compared to injecting such as different boluses and temporary basal. They are very useful but don't expect to run with them all on day one: take some time familiarising your self with the basics before confuddling yourself with the advanced functions
- most people find the pump brilliant with the extra control. But not everyone. You always have the option to go back to injections if you do not like the pump.

I hope your "hook up" goes well.

Reactions: asa35

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Canula change is easy. I have only done a few as I have been on a pump for about 3 weeks and no pain from a canal change yet. I suspect it's like MDI 99% no problems and every 100th it stings like a bee that has been on a steroid flower an a lovely bruise as a reminder. Therefore once a month on MDI or once a year on a pump no contest.

Thank you, that made me laugh!

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not on an Accucheck but have been pumping for a year.
Any advice?
- don't expect to get your levels right first time. It may take some tweaks but persevere and it will be worth it
- when changing your cannula be methodical. Once you get into a rhythm, it becomes easy but the first few are awkward as it is if you get interrupted mid change.
- it might sting a little when inserting your cannula but not much and not for long.
- if your cannula hurts an hour after insertion, change it: it is not supposed to hurt so if it does, it has not gone in correctly.
- test your BG before changing your cannula and test it a couple of hours later. This will give you a good indication if it is inserted correctly. If your BG is too high after insertion, change your cannula.
- I am not familiar with Accucheck but with a Vibe (sadly, no longer available), you can change your cannula separately to your cartridge so if you make a cannula mistake, you do not have to start from scratch
- there is a lot to learn and a number of things that are different compared to injecting such as different boluses and temporary basal. They are very useful but don't expect to run with them all on day one: take some time familiarising your self with the basics before confuddling yourself with the advanced functions
- most people find the pump brilliant with the extra control. But not everyone. You always have the option to go back to injections if you do not like the pump.

I hope your "hook up" goes well.

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such depth. That’s been really helpful. It seems crazy worrying about the cannula when I’ve been injecting for 20 years! But it’s all new and strange. I intend to give it all a good chance. If it tightens control then I’ll be happy.

Reactions: asa35 and Books1

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck to you too! That reminds me I must get a pouch or a belt. Where did you order yours from?
I am so sorry:sorry: for not responding to your message @Sandymcat, I got two pouches from Hid-In, specifically for an insight pump. My start date is this Monday and I have honestly been avoiding looking at the pump and all the supplies that arrived 14th February, until TODAY. I can't believe you were actually having a little play around prior to starting! I feel overwhelmed just thinking about it:nailbiting:. Well done you, I admire your confidence. I hope all is going well. Christine x

Reactions: asa35

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Christine , I’m sorry I’ve not been on here much. I hope you are doing OK? How are you finding it?

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Christine , I’m sorry I’ve not been on here much. I hope you are doing OK? How are you finding it?
I start tomorrow @Sandymcat, hence my increased activity! Just went through all my equipment last night, I have been avoiding it, I truly feel overwhelmed. I hope things are good for you and you got a suitable pouch! Thank you, Chrisitne x

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck Christine. You’ll be fine! All the aspects that I really worried about turned out not to be worries. If you want to pm me I’d be happy to be there for you? x

Reactions: Picci and Books1

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck Christine. You’ll be fine! All the aspects that I really worried about turned out not to be worries. If you want to pm me I’d be happy to be there for you? x
thank you for your kind message, today is the day. xx

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am so sorry:sorry: for not responding to your message @Sandymcat, I got two pouches from Hid-In, specifically for an insight pump. My start date is this Monday and I have honestly been avoiding looking at the pump and all the supplies that arrived 14th February, until TODAY. I can't believe you were actually having a little play around prior to starting! I feel overwhelmed just thinking about it:nailbiting:. Well done you, I admire your confidence. I hope all is going well. Christine x
Hi, I've had a hid-in pouch for a year now and it's probably the best of a few I've tried. So long as you get the correct waist size, it's very comfortable - I wear mine all day and night.

Reactions: Picci