electric shock type pain in my toe.

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was kept awake last night for the whole night apart from 1 hour at the start and between 5 and 6 in the morning. The pain is in 1 toe and it is like an electric shock lasting less thn a second , but it returns often, every 4 or 5 minutes. I take it it is a nerve pain. I thought it would go away with paracetamol but no. walking round did not work. It has carried on today. Sometimes it's every couple of seconds. HELP what can I do.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it in a joint or the body of the toe? I get a similar sounding pain in a big toe joint very occasionally ( once or twice a year) - a day on anti inflammatories sorts it out

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Boo thanks for that. I take anti inflamitories daily for arthritis, but perhaps ibuprofen would help.

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was kept awake last night for the whole night apart from 1 hour at the start and between 5 and 6 in the morning. The pain is in 1 toe and it is like an electric shock lasting less thn a second , but it returns often, every 4 or 5 minutes. I take it it is a nerve pain. I thought it would go away with paracetamol but no. walking round did not work. It has carried on today. Sometimes it's every couple of seconds. HELP what can I do.

Sounds horrible.

Have you looked up Gout as a possibility? I know that neuropathy is obviously a concern, but from my understanding doesn’t usually attack quite so vehemently without warning. Gout on the other hand can. There are risk factors in dehydration that can come from high sugar levels etc, so it might be worth looking into.

I hope whatever it is doesn’t stay around for too long.

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Bananak , I will look into that as well. Unless I hit it with a hammer first!!

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds horrible.

Have you looked up Gout as a possibility? I know that neuropathy is obviously a concern, but from my understanding doesn’t usually attack quite so vehemently without warning. Gout on the other hand can. There are risk factors in dehydration that can come from high sugar levels etc, so it might be worth looking into.

I hope whatever it is doesn’t stay around for too long.

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just looked gout up. No swelling or heat in the joint. So I din't think it is likely to be that . But thanks anyway.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I don't know about electric shock, I liken the pain to having a needle pushed into your skin?

I used to get it when my blood sugars were high and assumed it was a precursor to nerve damage - hasn't happened for a long time now.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boo thanks for that. I take anti inflamitories daily for arthritis, but perhaps ibuprofen would help.
Youd need to watch it as ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory as is your arthritis med - the total amount of anti inflammatory meds taken in a day is important - id check with a pharmacist about the combination
Not sure if its available over the counter but co codamol ( codeine paracetamol mix) takes the edge off pain. Downside ( sometimes!) is the codeine makes me feel stoned

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Youd need to watch it as ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory as is your arthritis med - the total amount of anti inflammatory meds taken in a day is important - id check with a pharmacist about the combination
Not sure if its available over the counter but co codamol ( codeine paracetamol mix) takes the edge off pain. Downside ( sometimes!) is the codeine makes me feel stoned

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes urban racer , it could be someone stabbing me. But my sugars are usually controlled, but the snow might have nmade me forgetful. I will take care. Thanks for that
I have co codamol in the cupboard. I'm off to get it now. Thanks Boo I had forgotten that.