Type 1 Sickness bug

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night/this morning I have been sick 6 times. I haven't eaten anything and only had a sip of original Lucozade thay my OH got me.
I have been testing my glucose levels and they are fairly high, 14.5mmols being the highest after one small beaker of Lucozade. I was only diagnosed being a T1D back in September last year..
As I haven't eaten I haven't injected, should I be injecting anyway?

Tia

Scarlett

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Last night/this morning I have been sick 6 times. I haven't eaten anything and only had a sip of original Lucozade thay my OH got me.
I have been testing my glucose levels and they are fairly high, 14.5mmols being the highest after one small beaker of Lucozade. I was only diagnosed being a T1D back in September last year..
As I haven't eaten I haven't injected, should I be injecting anyway?

Tia

Scarlett

Depends what insulin regime you're on????

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
In my opinion you should be taking your long acting Lantus insulin. It is designed to cope with the steady trickle of glucose secreted by your liver and if your units are right it doesn't usually matter if you skip a meal or are late eating.

Sick day rules can be applied to the use of short acting insulin - I take it you haven't been given this information?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: urbanracer

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always take your basel insulin you may need to take more (10 - 20% extra) than normal while sick. Test often and correct with the NovoRapid. You should also be checking for ketones anything more than +2 for 4 hours call NHS direct for advice.