What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="dogslife, post: 1716947, member: 54885"s.[/QUOTE]
Hello.ianspurs. Sorry to hear about your chickens and the ducks. I'm curious how you knew it was a badger and not the usual foxes or buzzards. I thought badgers , although omnivores, only ate earthworms, slugs and small rodents.:)[/QUOTE]
Neighbours saw them digging around their livestock. Also. large railway sleepers at the edge of our property and hens nightime fencing burrowed under and moved - far too heavy for a fox. Others who keep chickens reported some taken by badgers

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Much better night’s sleep so no pre-dawn visits to the gym and a fasting reading of 4.9 despite a huge intake of food yesterday.
I hope the huge intake of food is not related to football results - doesn't look too good for your intake going forward. Mind you, I might have a similar issue Wednesday night - wonder how many hard boiled eggs I could eat in one sitting?

Reactions: ziggy_w

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
[QUOTE="dogslife, post: 1716947, member: 54885"s.
Hello.ianspurs. Sorry to hear about your chickens and the ducks. I'm curious how you knew it was a badger and not the usual foxes or buzzards. I thought badgers , although omnivores, only ate earthworms, slugs and small rodents.:)[/QUOTE]
Neighbours saw them digging around their livestock. Also. large railway sleepers at the edge of our property and hens nightime fencing burrowed under and moved - far too heavy for a fox. Others who keep chickens reported some taken by badgers[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your quick reply, ianspurs. We live and learn as they say. My husband and I love birds of all kinds. He has always wanted to keep chickens as his dad had an allotment when he was a boy but we live in a built up area so not possible at the moment. We love the open country and have a static caravan in the Welsh countryside to escape to whenever we can. Your home sounds very special to you. Best wishes. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have what lots of people would wish for in life and you hang on and enjoy your life with your family and youngsters they are the future! Wish you well and if you work on keeping your BG on an even keel you'll still hopefully be around to see them all grown up! K
Thanks gg - as I wrote in the Friday weigh in thread my horizon is 20 years+ management at least so no quick fix very low carb or exercise regime I can't sustain. Current carb average for this year is just under 30 and I have a home gym and miles to walk the 2 dogs.
We will have 2 more grandchildren within a month next summer so expanding the tribe!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your diet just keep at it it will come down, just a thought but some of us on here do intermittent fasting wondered if you've tried it coupled with LCHF it can help, I just don't eat just drink after my evening meal until Has long has I can following day. I usually get to 11 am or upto 1 pm but the main part of your fast is then when your asleep keep to your LCHF diet for breakfast and then test before and after, the liver dump is sometimes raised but I try not to bother about it too much BG comes down well during morning! Good luck K. There is a thread on intermittent fasting check it out!
Thanks so much K. I'm actually just getting into IF properly - being doing it last 2 days, like you say skipping breakfast and not eating until around midday - first day it worked like a charm and my fbg the next morning was down to 5.3, had gone to bed on a 4.5, which is my best reading yet. However did the same thing yesterday - and after dinner my bg did this really weird thing of fluctuating between 6 and 6.8 all evening - way longer than 2 hours post meal. I have dropped a couple of pounds this week and I remember this happening before - I even did a thread on it - as couldn't understand why weight was going down but then sugars were slightly raised. They did settle after about 10 days and it wasn't long ago I was getting 5.1s in the morning, with 4.9s at bedtime, and I dared to dream my liver and pancreas were improving their function - then I've gone back to 6s (although have had a cold, which has just about gone). Diabetes is a slippery fish and no mistake!

Last edited:

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
7.0 this morning, so I am pleased with that.

I thought badgers ate worms? If the heads were taken off the ducks, that sounds like foxes to me. These beautiful wild creatures will eat our livestock but then it is up to us humans to keep them safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.0 this morning, so I am pleased with that.

I thought badgers ate worms? If the heads were taken off the ducks, that sounds like foxes to me. These beautiful wild creatures will eat our livestock but then it is up to us humans to keep them safe.
I think we all got sloppy since no attacks for a year and other people from farming families attributed losses to badgers. I also found this on that there t'internet "Badgers are known to eat small mammals mice, rats, rabbits, frogs, toads and hedgehogs." Not chickens though but they may get ambitious!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the huge intake of food is not related to football results - doesn't look too good for your intake going forward. Mind you, I might have a similar issue Wednesday night - wonder how many hard boiled eggs I could eat in one sitting?

Ever seen Cool Hand Luke? Paul Newman eating hard boiled eggs put me off them for months ( and I had a huge crush on Paul Newman - put me off him a bit too!)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Thanks so much K. I'm actually just getting into IF properly - being doing it last 2 days, like you say skipping breakfast and not eating until around midday - first day it worked like a charm and my fbg the next morning was down to 5.3, had gone to bed on a 4.5, which is my best reading yet. However did the same thing yesterday - and after dinner my bg did this really weird thing of fluctuating between 6 and 6.8 all evening - way longer than 2 hours post meal. I have dropped a couple of pounds this week and I remember this happening before - I even did a thread on it - as couldn't understand why weight was going down but then sugars were slightly raised. They did settle after about 10 days and it wasn't long ago I was getting 5.1s in the morning, with 4.9s at bedtime, and I dared to dream my liver and pancreas were improving their function - then I've gone back to 6s (although have had a cold, which has just about gone). Diabetes is a slippery fish and no mistake!
Hi@eggs11 To keep my carbs low I now use carb substitutes that can now be bought from supermarkets like from Aldi I get carrot chips frozen you can get fresh cauliflower rice in cartons and courgette spiralized I use these instead of rice in a curry or courgette to replace pasta, from Iceland I buy frozen cauliflower rice and green veg rice in packs of 4 around £2 a bag of 4 always handy to have in to make a quick meal. Mostly stick with protein meat fish chicken bacon eggs occasionally black pudding bratwurst sausage which I prefare not so fatty has our own sausage from Aldi. Tesco and Asda also do veg chips Mediterranean vegetables made into chips,or make your own cut up into thicker chips carrots parsnip turnip etc. Sprinkle with olive oil and a shake of tarragon put on a baking sheet cook in oven 200 fan oven 18/20 mins depending on thickness of chips.
Things are getting easier to buy readily done for you supermarkets have cottoned on so hope this info.was of some use to you just keep going at it,Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck if I can help you with anything just ask,I'll help where I can or put it out their someone's sure to have the answer! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hiya cumbs i was in the 7s this morning but have been rising ever since even with correction dose will change vial and see if that works here we go again :(
@Karen. @Cumberland it's another rollercoaster ride for you two my heart goes out to you both diabetes at times is such a problem and that's only because I cannot think of a word to use to describe it! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks gg - as I wrote in the Friday weigh in thread my horizon is 20 years+ management at least so no quick fix very low carb or exercise regime I can't sustain. Current carb average for this year is just under 30 and I have a home gym and miles to walk the 2 dogs.
We will have 2 more grandchildren within a month next summer so expanding the tribe!
Good luck with your diabetes and your new tribe,all mine are grown up now I have great grandchildren where have all the years gone. K

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi@eggs11 To keep my carbs low I now use carb substitutes that can now be bought from supermarkets like from Aldi I get carrot chips frozen you can get fresh cauliflower rice in cartons and courgette spiralized I use these instead of rice in a curry or courgette to replace pasta, from Iceland I buy frozen cauliflower rice and green veg rice in packs of 4 around £2 a bag of 4 always handy to have in to make a quick meal. Mostly stick with protein meat fish chicken bacon eggs occasionally black pudding bratwurst sausage which I prefare not so fatty has our own sausage from Aldi. Tesco and Asda also do veg chips Mediterranean vegetables made into chips,or make your own cut up into thicker chips carrots parsnip turnip etc. Sprinkle with olive oil and a shake of tarragon put on a baking sheet cook in oven 200 fan oven 18/20 mins depending on thickness of chips.
Things are getting easier to buy readily done for you supermarkets have cottoned on so hope this info.was of some use to you just keep going at it,Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck if I can help you with anything just ask,I'll help where I can or put it out their someone's sure to have the answer! K
Thanks K for all the tips - you're so kind to take the time to help. I think you're right 'Rome wasn't built in a day' - as long as I stick with it, that's the main thing. Goodness - when I first found out I had a problem back in December, a month before official diagnosis, I had a random finger prick test of 12.8! Now I'm stressed if I get a mid/high 6 - I need to chill out!! :)