Toe nail question.

DazG

Hi

I have always cut my toe nails really short, however since diagnosis I have let them grow and cut them in line with my toes.

I cut them about a week ago, and the nail on my big toe sort of snapped itself, and has come away lower than normal, but still within cutting range, ie it hasnt gone down into my toe soft tissue.

Now its regrowing and I can feel the nail digging into the left side of my big toe and its sore, its sort of growing into the side part, wher eit will eventually grow out and back to normal, but its sore and it hurts.

Do I need to worry about this, or will it just correct itself once its grown a bit more?

Im a bit paranoid when it comes to my toes/feet Im afraid.

Thanks.

Daz

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes Daz you need to worry about this and best to see a Podiatrist about this problem. Ingrowing toenails can not only be painful but can lead to infections also, having diabetes puts us at a greater risk so its always wise to nip these things in the bud when they develop.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
DEfinitely see a podiatrist, you can self refer, so look up their number and call
Hana

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Hi Daz,

I was diagnosed last September with type 2 - had a combined podiatary and retinal appointment at my local hospital in November - they advised me to keep my nails short and not to cut into the corners and said that if there were any problems at all with my nails (I have pretty brittle nails due to having eczema) that I should make an appointment straight away.

My advice would be to get an appointment as soon as you can.

Hope all goes well.

DazG

Thanks for the replies.

Do I just book an appointment with any podiatrist? I have done a google search for my area and a lot of private ones have come up.

Also what do I need to see them for, will they do something to my nail?

Im not sure that it is an ingrowing toe nail, its just come away on the left side so I guess there is a little pointy bit on the end that is growing outwards as normal, but its just digging into the skin a bit, this used to happen to me before if I cut my nails too short and it would correct itself once it had grown enough.

Edit: Rainey - that is what has happened, because it has snapped a bit its as if I have cut into the corner.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daz,

No need to go private when you are entitled to be seen by the NHS, ring your GP surgery for the number if you can't find it and ask to be seen, tell them you have type 2 diabetes and have a problem your nail and hopefully you'll be seen soon.

Nigel

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Hi Daz,

Ouch! Sounds painful. You could try speaking to your surgery to see if they have a podiatrist they can recommend, may be quicker than waiting for a referral.

Good luck and hope it's sorted soon. :)

DazG

Thanks again for the advice.

I have just rang my local hospital and they have told me I need to be referred by my doctors surgery (I live in Wales) so I will sort that out next week when I see my doctor.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
DazG said:
Thanks again for the advice.

I have just rang my local hospital and they have told me I need to be referred by my doctors surgery (I live in Wales) so I will sort that out next week when I see my doctor.

Daz, my doctors has a Podiatrist who visits the surgery once a week to see diabetic patients, ask your surgery if there is one who does likewise and ask for a appointment to be seen if this is the case.

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked about seeing an NHS one, I would have had to wait weeks, so I went to a private one who could see me the same day, it was only £20.