Giving blood

Curleous

Dislikes
bad manners and rudeness
Are type 1 diabetics allowed to give blood as i always used to?

Thanks

Curleous

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly, no, you can't give blood (or plasma) if you have type 1 diabetes. That was one of the things that upset me most when diagnosed. However, I have managed to pursuade a few friends to donate blood to replace me as a former donor.

sugar2

As above, no, we can't. Although I would be interested to know if anyone knows the reason why? I was told that " I needed my blood more than they did" but can't work this out. I can imagine why they might not want it....but not why it would harm me, if I was otherwise healthy.

redrevis

It doesn't matter what type you are. If you're on insulin you can't give blood, if you aren't on insulin then you can.

simples.bmp

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm afraid it's not quite so 'simples'........

Diabetic's are not excluded from giving blood simply because they have Diabetes.

The UK Blood Services Standing Advisory Committee on Care and Selection of Donors has concluded that blood donation is safe for people with Diabetes who manage their condition by taking tablets and have no complications or other underlying medical conditions.

Always best to check with the Agency first by phoning the number Sue gave in her post. There are MANY other reasons why a Diabetic may not give blood, especially if there are other conditions.

It isn't just about Insulin.

rainey2910

Dislikes
Work!
Diabetic's are not excluded from giving blood simply because they have Diabetes.

Glad to hear that, I was thinking of giving blood at the end of the month - we have a National Blood Service event at our local school. I'll check with them to see if it's ok for me to give blood.

Thanks! :)

redrevis

I was refering to the 'insulin vs not on insulin' part. I thought it would be fairly obvious that there are many many other reasons why people can't give blood, way too many to list.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
redrevis said:
I was refering to the 'insulin vs not on insulin' part. I thought it would be fairly obvious that there are many many other reasons why people can't give blood, way too many to list.

redrevis.

We are fully aware what you are referring to and yes you are correct in that the reasons why you may or may not be able to be give blood are numerous. However to many that is not so obvious.

As a Monitor on this Forum we don't just answer a post for the benefit of one particular Member we also post general information for the benefit of ALL Members.

The dissemination of information which may be useful to all Members, especially NEW Members who do not have the benefit of your experience. One member has already posted, that the information was useful in much the same way as your post was even if the comment, "If you aren't on Insulin then you can" is not strictly correct. We correct things on this Forum to assist Members.

It isn't a 'slight' on what you posted it is just something we always do for the benefit of the Members. I would have thought you knew that by now, it is fairly obvious.......

The main thing is because of all the variables it is best to check with the organisation concerned and not to get bits of sometimes factually incorrect information from here. Simples......

cugila
Forum Monitor

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told, when I rang up the blood donation people to ask why I couldn't donate, that it was because I had type 1 diabetes (nothing to do with being on insulin), and so there would be fewer platelets in the blood. So they would have to take more blood to get the same amount of platelets, then separate it out and recombine it to end up with whole blood with a normal number of platelets. I was told it wasnt to do with it being dangerous or harmful for me, or the resulting blood being dangerous for the recipient, just cost and time wise it wasn't worth it for them - it would cost about 3x more than blood from someone else.

This was told to me by whoever answered the phone at the National Blood Service, I don't know how accurate it is - lot of their other rules don't seem to be based on fact. As a woman, I could have all sorts of unsafe sex with a different sexual partner daily (for free - if I was charging money that would magically make some difference to how safe the blood is, not sure how that works) and could still donate blood. But if I was a man, and had had one male sexual partner, and had safe protected with that partner, I would not be able to donate blood, I assume because people are scared of catching teh gay.

jameshallam

The rules of the blood service are all based on risk assessments and designed by committee.
Looks good in theory but in practice it never works out as well as originally hoped!

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Tou're not alowed to donate blood if you're gay and male.
It doesn't matter if you've never ever had unsafe sex, if you're gay, you're not allowed to donate.

That's why my husband doesn't donate anymore, it's discrimination based on no scientific evidence whatsoever, and it's not acceptable to me.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I tried to give blood two months ago (and was rejected, of course) the nurse did tell me that they were looking into making it possible for diabetics with T1 to give blood in the near future. I hope that's true, I was so disappointed when I found out I couldn't give blood.

stavenmorris

Blood giving is great idea for helping others. Are donate blood at least 1 time in 2 month is really good for you and also useful to others so blood giving is good. Blood giving is really safe and no create any weakness or health problems so you donate more blood and helping others.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Nice. But they don't let diabetics do it, so either you're pretending or this is spam.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
borofergie said:
Nice. But they don't let diabetics do it, so either you're pretending or this is spam.

They do, see the thread started today.

I'm type 2 on tablets and I give blood. as long as your medication has been stable for about 4 weeks before donation date and you are feeling fine then they are happy for you to donate.

Just one thing to watch for though in my experience, since being diagnosed I've had 2 cases of re-bleeds straight after the plaster was stuck on and I've had to re-apply pressure to stop it again. I now tell them and we make sure the donation site has settled well before leaving the couch.

Regards
Angie

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
That's interesting. I hear that giving blood a couple of time's a year is good for increasing insulin sensitivity and decreasing iron accumilation.

It's also be great for "pimping" your HbA1c test, getting rid of lots of old "sugared up" blood cells.

stavenmorris

I also giving the blood for regular two time in three month but i don't have any problem about this. And yes you firstly recommend your doctor and then after you giving blood is really be safe. And human blood cells are different for all so must you check it and then after you doing this.