Baking with coconut flour and almond flour

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's the ml for the hard stuff that gets me too. 60ml of butter? I just convert it into 3-ish ounces of butter and it seems to work. Diet Doctor has quite a few mls when US measurements are converted to metric. As for packing-down, I don't but make sure the cheese/whatever is up to the rim. That seems to work too. So far!
I find “some butter” and ‘tons of cheese” generally does the trick :D

Reactions: Orangeteddy

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I find “some butter” and ‘tons of cheese” generally does the trick :D
I always go over what they say, because really, one cup of shredded cheese is never enough.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Key_master_ thank you for mentioning the savoury cheese scones and adding the link. I made them tonight and they were delicious! :)

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a successful strawberry crumble this weekend using ground almonds, Splenda and butter, turned out really nice though I say it myself :happy:
You cant post that! Its just a tease - what is the recipe :) I am salivating here....

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Key_master_

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You cant post that! Its just a tease - what is the recipe :) I am salivating here....

Oopsie sorry, I kind of just adapted it from other recipes. I just put 350g of defrosted frozen strawberries in a Pyrex dish. Then rubbed together, 55g ground almonds, 15g milled flaxseed, 3 teaspoons of Splenda and 30g butter. Sprinkle it on top of the strawberries and cook for 30 mins Gas Mark 5, 190c or 375F
4 portions, 7.5g carbs each.

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I used to be keen on home baking and still am but since going low carb and trying out new recipes, to be honest I'm fed up with the waste and the taste.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find recipes that actually give the weight of ingredients rather than just saying cups (or fractions thereof). I have looked at numerous websites for conversions from cups to grams/oz and not only does it differ between ingredients, it differs for the same ingredients depending which conversion site you use.

I have discovered the use of xantham gum - for holding mixtures together - and contacted the makers to find out about it's use with coconut or almond lour - and they could not give me anything beyond guestimates.

Next up - baking powder - or is it baking soda? Then there's arrowroot and cream of tarter - all of which now sit in my cupboard looking as lost and bewildered as I am. I've only accumulated them from trying recipes that include them.

Sweetener - after much trial of Stevia the rest is now in the bin. It does not bake well and leaves a nasty after taste. You have to calculate how much to use as it's not a like for like swap for sugar. However I found Total Sweet Xylitol which is a like for like swap for sugar and tastes very similar to it. I contacted Total Sweet as they have a number of recipes on their website and they mention diabetes on their website too - but none of their recipes use coconut flour or almond flour and I was keen to see if they might -
Thanks very much for your email and interest in Total Sweet.
I'm not an expert on diabetes, but I know coconut flour and almond flour are high in fat compared to standard flour, so are not always the answer.
Either way, there are two recipes on our website that don't use flour. These aren't necessarily good for diabetics and, as mentioned above, are high in fat, but I hope they're of interest....

Meanwhile back in the Orangeteddy kitchen, another batch of coconut flour cookies have exited the oven - falling apart as the texture is still all wrong. I have gone through enough eggs to keep a small farm in business. Coconut flour recipes need LOTS of eggs with them.

But hubby ( who has been really supportive of the low carb thing and has also completely joined in with it) is missing proper cake - so he made one this morning using ordinary flour (just 4oz) and the Total Sweet - and the taste and texture was really good. I tested my blood before and after a slice - an increase of 1.5

I have had success with making pancakes and waffles - and also the fathead pizza dough using almond flour which seems well suited to savoury recipes.

I'm keen to find some British baking recipes using coconut flour and also almond flour. I have researched this quite extensively but can't afford the waste. I'm looking for any cake or biscuit recipes that people here have had success with, using coconut and/or almond flour importantly with ingredients in grams/oz?

many thanks

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I thought l was the only one who have stocked cupboards with a lot of coconut flour l have also tried and tried and failed and last week a friend told me to mix one cup of coconut with a cup of of corn flour it helps l have not tried this am not sure of calories on corn flour

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oopsie sorry, I kind of just adapted it from other recipes. I just put 350g of defrosted frozen strawberries in a Pyrex dish. Then rubbed together, 55g ground almonds, 15g milled flaxseed, 3 teaspoons of Splenda and 30g butter. Sprinkle it on top of the strawberries and cook for 30 mins Gas Mark 5, 190c or 375F
4 portions, 7.5g carbs each.
This is certainly on the list for trying - thank you...

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought l was the only one who have stocked cupboards with a lot of coconut flour l have also tried and tried and failed and last week a friend told me to mix one cup of coconut with a cup of of corn flour it helps l have not tried this am not sure of calories on corn flour
Cornflour is high in carbs - around 90g/100g - and a cup is almost that, but I've found it ok in very small amounts so it might also be ok in baking (assuming the baked goodie is smallish). I've also got a lot of unused coconut flour.....!

cocobee.2017

Does eating cake made from coconut or almond flour (or whatever the case may be) sweetened with stevia or any other sweetener that isn't the evil sugar - make u wish and crave for REAL cake with REAL icing? I know just talking or thinking about it makes me start craving. So not fair :(

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had trouble stopping myself from eating the whole lot of these in one go https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free/ I've made them with lemon oil instead of zest and a bit of grated fresh ginger and, although you do have to chill them well and the dough is a bit fiddly to roll and cut, they are worth the effort.
I’ve done these too need to freeze them though in small packs and take out a few at a time though as they’re a bit addictive!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Does eating cake made from coconut or almond flour (or whatever the case may be) sweetened with stevia or any other sweetener that isn't the evil sugar - make u wish and crave for REAL cake with REAL icing? I know just talking or thinking about it makes me start craving. So not fair :(
find it works the opposite easing the craving for the real stuff bu5 know that others find it triggers cravings. I use erythritol now but didn’t touch artificial sweetners for first two months I did this way of eating to help me lose some of my sweet carvings. Now it’s just a very small part of my way of eating and stops me going overboard but we’re all different

Reactions: cocobee.2017

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The diabeticgoodbaking blogger, @ewelina is a member here. :)

I thought it wa an old blog, I’m sure last post was 2016.

If @ewelina sees this, your recipes are fab, I first tried your velvet cake as had tried numerous other sponges using the dreaded coconut flour. Haha!! Then I found your recipe using almond. I’ve been playing with the no added sugar truffles as well. I found a 100% cocoa choc now as well. Last night I had a play. Made a layered truffle with a no added sugar peanut butter, cut in 30g of flax seed, to further lower the carbs added a few ice cream wafers. It’s almost like a chunky peanut butter kitkat. 0.6g carb per square. I ate 4, no impact on blood sugars, it was just after tea so could of hid them.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am interested in alternative baking but only for savory items. I don't want to compromise my simple rule that I don't eat sweet things, getting a taste for cakes and deserts again doesn't seem like a good idea.