How often to have HbA1c tested?

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw a locum Dr today on a non diabetes related matter, but I mentioned that I hadn't been called for an HbA1c, which I thought was due last month, and could she ask for it? She looked at my last results and commented on how well I'd done, but said she couldn't ask for it to be done as "it would throw the system out of whack" ?? I said I had been told I would be tested every three months for the first year and she said that as my last test was so good the DN probably isn't bothered about it.
When will I get another one? Who knows!!!

D

Deleted member 308541

I used to go every three months for a hba1c test, but now I go every six months since I have managed to bring it down to a lower level.

My blood tests are done at a pathology shop not at my GP's practise, so none of this out of wack stuff happens

Reactions: Buttons11

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe book an appointment with the nurse? I was diagnosed last May and have had HbA1cs done every 2-3 months so far.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The general rule is an HbA1c and review every 3 months until such time as the HbA1c is below target and medication is stable, then it moves to 6 monthly. If your nurse decided to move you to 6 monthly she should have told you. Eventually it will move to annually.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Here is the sequence of my reviews:

Diagnosis and full check A1c 98
One month later review A1c 73
Three months later full review A1c 43 and told to expect a call for review in 6 months.

The letter inviting me for blood draws arrived today but I am going to stretch it out so that I get the results at the 12 months from diagnosis stage. Fingers crossed that I get under the Magic 42.
It seems that once you achieve under the 53/48/42 mark the fewer reviews you will be called for.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My GP surgery only refers me for a HbA1c test every 12 months, which is the minimum, presumably because they think I have good control. As your last two readings were 42, that might be why you are not getting tested every 3 months now.

The NHS gudelines only recommend testing at least twice a year, and only more often if recently diagnosed, bg remains too high, or treatment plan has been changed.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/diagnosis/

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't self-test so the HbA1c is the only diabetes monitoring I get. So far I have been tested every three months at least, and I would be unhappy with anything less frequent. The A1c measures the glycated hemoglobin over the previous 8 to 12 weeks so anything less frequent than three months will miss some data. If you are self-testing, you will have additional data.

Context: I was diagnosed just over one year ago. If I had a reliable "pattern" over several years I might be prepared to space out the A1c tests to more than three months.

Last edited:

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some are luckier than others with their GP surgeries. I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago, had a re-test at 3 months and then tests moved to annually so have only had 3 tests (excluding diagnosis) to date!

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some are luckier than others with their GP surgeries. I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago, had a re-test at 3 months and then tests moved to annually so have only had 3 tests (excluding diagnosis) to date!

You could ask for an interim (6 month) blood test without a need to see the nurse/doctor unless something is thrown up. I have done this in the past and was given one.

Reactions: Debzz_

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried this @Bluetit1802 but sadly have been refused :mad: They seem to think my HbA1c is well controlled at 40 so will not countenance it. Luckily I test daily so know more or less where I am:)