Counting carbs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone have problems with counting carbs for rice? I eat a lot of white rice (I know it's bad and I should eat brown rice but I don't like it) anyways, my blood sugar is always high after I ate the rice. Has anyone figured out a better way to count it. I count it as 15 grams for every 1/4 cup of it. That is what my doctor told me to count it as. Any suggestions is appreciated. By the way, I have type 1 and have had diabetes for 11 years. I had 2 kids and that was the only time my blood sugar was perfect. I was 20 at the time of being diagnosed with it.

D

Deleted Account

What makes you think white rice is "bad"?
It is a major part of the diet throughout many parts of the world.

To address your question about carb counting, I weigh the rice (before I cook it) and look at the packet to calculate how manny carbs I am going to eat. I have no idea how that matches your 1/4 cup ratio.

As to why you go high, a few ideas come to mind:
- is your ratio before cooking or after cooking? Rice absorbs a lot of water so the carb counting is very different.
- the glucose in rice is absorbed very quickly (the Glycaemic Index, which measures glucose absorption, of rice is the same as sugar). Is the problem that your BG shoots up because the glucose gets into your blood quicker than the insulin? You will know this if your BG levels off (without a correction) later. You can address this by taking your insulin earlier when you eat rice.

FUD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends how big your cup is! I would suggest measuring your 1/4 cup out, assuming you use the same cize cup each time, then weigh out the amount of rice on some scales for an accurate figure then check that against a carb counting book. You also need to check whether the figures are cooked or uncooked as that makes a big difference

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Copied from a list that I have; carb amounts for the following:
COOKED, 1 cup
Parboiled white -45.5
Pearl barley -38.3
Bulgur -25.6
Brown rice, med -42.3
Brown rice, long -41.3
DRY, 1 cup
Parboiled, white -145.9
Pearl barley -123.8
Bulgur -80.4
Brown rice, med -138.5
Brown rice, long, -136.5

Hope this helps.

cocobee.2017

I had to totally give up rice because of the spikes + now don't even miss it. It also made me feel extremely tired after a meal of rice

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The GI of basmati rice is better than ordinary long grain white rice. You might find your blood sugar levels are a bit better with basmati rice.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Basmati (white) comes in at approximately 39.2 carbs for 1 cup cooked.