LCHF and intermittent fasting

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Meat and two veg, larger portion of meat and lots of butter.

One the fasting, should you just drink water or can you use cordial. I use Squashed from Robinson’s but it does up my BG very slightly. I have given up caffeine, so tea and coffee are a no go.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you wish to make it very simple just eat steak, eggs and a few green veg or salad. Cook yourself one steak and 2 eggs, once you have eaten them, repeat as many times as you wish.

Don't try to lose weight untlil you have had BG under control for at least a few weeks. I assume you are using a BG meter.

Reactions: darenu

Clifton556

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you wish to make it very simple just eat steak, eggs and a few green veg or salad. Cook yourself one steak and 2 eggs, once you have eaten them, repeat as many times as you wish.

Don't try to lose weight untlil you have had BG under control for at least a few weeks. I assume you are using a BG meter.
No not using anything

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good thinking, I do suffer from lack of willpower at times and when I fall off the rails I really fall off the rails
Its when you walk down the cereal aisles in the supermarket and your other half says in your ear poison, poison,poison that you know you have got there...

Reactions: darenu

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice problem is I don’t ever seem to be satisfied. I can eat a lot and worry about eating too much fat effecting me adversely in other ways
Many of us have found that initially the cholesterol does rise while there is weight loss going on (from the glucose stores), but settle down to good values when ketosis starts to kick in. It is a temporary state, and in fact you do not need to pump up the fat in the early days since the purpose of the HF part is to provide energy for ketosis and to protect the muscle tissue from being scavenged to provide ketone energy while becoming fat adapted.

I look on HF as being either higher fat than you were probably used to on the carb diet previous, or more likely Moderate Fat, i.e. in moderation. I use fat levels to control my weight so I increase weight by upping the fat for a while, and conversely dropping the fat to lose a bit of weight. My weight has been stable around 67 kg, which is a good weight for me, for the last 3 years,

Reactions: meandmaboy

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been told to follow a LCHF diet by the doctor I was wondering if running it alongside intermittent fasting would work better?

Also what do people eat on LCHF I quickly found myself running out of ideas or money

Yes, LCHF + IF is certainly effective for me. I tend to skip dinner instead of breakfast, because dinner usually cost more.

In fact, LCHF prepares you for IF AND extended multiday fast. You will then find that will power has little to do with it. You are just not that hungry anymore...

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its when you walk down the cereal aisles in the supermarket and your other half says in your ear poison, poison,poison that you know you have got there...

I noticed you said you avoid the fake bread etc. What is your feeling on Keto Bread? Myself and my mother (who is amazing at support) found recipes on DietDoctor to make Keto Bread, I think we cracked it in terms of the bread on our last effort and I find it really good, throw in some bacon and an egg and it's a really good sandwich with practically no carbs.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed you said you avoid the fake bread etc. What is your feeling on Keto Bread? Myself and my mother (who is amazing at support) found recipes on DietDoctor to make Keto Bread, I think we cracked it in terms of the bread on our last effort and I find it really good, throw in some bacon and an egg and it's a really good sandwich with practically no carbs.
I suspect that BB was still in the supermarket looking at the row of processed breads. I used to call it plastic bread rather than fake, but similar sentiment.

Certainly, those with the time and inclination can find suitable recipes to cook up something that does the job instead, but it will be hand crafted, not industrially processed, and will be a niche product produced on an 'as required' basis. It will probably be more expensive to produce commercially, so is probably not the sort of thing a supermarket would want to sell. So yes, DIY will get round the problem to a reasonable degree, but it sounds that you had a certain amount of trial and error before you got your alternative.

Finding a suitable LC alternative to the staple of life is proving to be the holy grail of this forum, and is a perennial question raised on the forum. I personally am lucky in that I have found a multiseeded loaf at my supermerket that I can tolerate, so I do not need to go on this quest myself. But then, I am no longer using keto diet so do not restrict my carbs to eye watering levels, as some here do.

Reactions: JoeT1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it works for you then great... I however used to be a very fat bread fiend.. I could eat a whole loaf in one sitting (and developed Type 2 as a result). It's mainly for that reason that I avoid it. I found even with things like keto crackers once made I found it very hard to stop eating them and it released some of those cravings again. So I put them too in the "no thanks" box where they will stay. And anyway a nice juicy steak or some crispy bacon is so much nicer...