Chinese Food

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on LCHF and while I'm away I know that we'll be going out for a Chinese meal with friends. Apart from avoiding the rice, what are going to be the least damaging dishes for my diet please?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crispy duck.. (no pancakes obvs).
Stir fried greens.. kai lan, bak choi, dao miu . Some seafood dishes might be ok.. ask and see if they can do something stir fired without batter.

Reactions: SueJB
D

Deleted Account

Remember sweet and sour sauce has sugar in it ... to make it sweet.
And you will be a better person than I if you can avoid eating the prawn crackers: they are sooooo moreish.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Get a menu before you go and then ask questions of the restaurant if they can cater with foods and minimal sugars. Their sauces can be overloaded with what you don't want

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Chicken chow mein (spelling?) ... the bean sprout variety. Chop suey. If you're doing Szechuan they have loads of veg dishes, meats of all sorts

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Chinese is my worst nightmare, I’m vegetarian and a plate of just stir fried veg isn’t going to cut it!

Reactions: Simon84

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your ideas - I'm not keen on sweet and sour in any case, and now feel sure that I can find a couple of dishes that are mostly duck or chicken with veg. Thanks.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I find the beef & mushroom or chicken &mushroom (or either with vegetables) to not be so bad for my levels. I sometimes do have a small amount of rice, especially if it is fried. Ribs are ok - but check if they are in sauce. That can be the problem with ribs.sometimes the sauces area quite sweet. Look for "dry" ribs.some menus offer them. Enjoy and don't pig out!

Reactions: Simon84