Fast heart rate

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a underactive thyroid I also drink a lot of tea which maybe causing it
My mother (T1D) had to give up coffee for a while coz she had tachywhatsit. It also made her anxious, which made things worse. I think she also had thyroid problem.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jackie006 I would strongly suggest you have your thyroid checked.

I had an undiagnosed thyroid condition (medical incompetence caused it to be repeatedly overlooked), the complications of which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Resting heart rate was 130bpm.

The thing was, the condition was so, so easily treatable - and I would not have been so poorly had my GP thought to look beyond my diabetes.

Do keep us posted.

Edited to say - sorry, in my haste to reply I had overlooked your post saying you're underactive - but still, do get your thyroid checked again as if it's something you're being treated for it might be that you're having too much Levothyroxine. :)

scotland10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone else find that they have increased heart rate just wondered if it anything to with being diabetic
Hi Jackie, I had a fast heart rate which eventually resulted in atrial fibrillation which in turn meant I had to have defibrillator fitted. I can't confirm if this was as a result of being diabetic but would advise asking your GP.Sorry, I didnt mean to alarm you !

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Does anyone else find that they have increased heart rate just wondered if it anything to with being diabetic
There is some research (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150522083513.htm) showing that a faster heart rate could indicate diabetes but that doesn't necessarily mean the converse is true. My heart rate is usually around 70. It's going to be another example of all of us being different, some people will experience a faster heart rate and others will experience a slower heart rate and then some will be normal, whatever normal is.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get tachycardia often when I'm sick with something or rather on top of my other stuff. Although I was in ER this weekend just gone with high BP and tachycardia (heart rate fluctuating between 102 - 122). They put me on the ECG, took blood to check whether I'd had a heart attack, did a urine test, then did a chest x-ray. Well my chest x-ray apparently showed an abnormality in that my heart is apparently wider than normal (ER docs words). So now I'm having to see my GP and get that followed up to see what that is about. Then also it comes to mind could this enlarged heart business be the cause of my tachycardia and increased heart palpitations I've been having lately. I don't know. So frustrating. I'm not sure if diabetes causes a fast heart rate, it may do. I hope you are getting yourself checked out though, especially if your heart rate is going over 100.

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
Have same problem my resting is from 90 to 100 and i made cbc ecg echo on my heart and they say all are normal may be anxious they said i should go to psychiatric

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rock steady 60 resting.
Now, exercise always aim to double it, then go to triple for short periods.

Even with the fat I was 60, when I lost (most of) the gut it was the same.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mine is according to my fitness bracelet 65 at the moment but every now and then seemingly at random times I get a high heart rate alarm don't know why.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well I think it can be related to stress, high blood pressure , or in rare cases be caused by a very low level of iron in ones body... and even more seldom because of internal bleeding .... but most often I think it can be caused by a too high metabolism...

Last edited:

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I think it can be related to stress, high blood pressure , or in rare cases very be caused by low level of iron in ones body... and even more seldom because of internal bleeding .... but most often I think it can be caused by a high metabolism...

I don't have a low metabolism, but I don't have a high heart rate.
Well, I don't notice any effect from the 'diets wreck your metabolism' brigade, my heart rate never changed, so it can't be true.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a low metabolism, but I don't have a high heart rate.
Well, I don't notice any effect from the 'diets wreck your metabolism' brigade, my heart rate never changed, so it can't be true.

well I didn´t say you had any condition, just tried to write a number of reasons to why some people experience a too fast heart rate without any obvious reason

diabetes in itself doesn´t give a high heart rate

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Panic attack?
Doubt it just at random times , to be honest I have never experienced such a thing.

Mind you thinking about it I do have a stent grafted for an AAA not sure if that may be causing it some how.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I notice the original post and replies were a long time ago so I hope Jackie006 found the answers she needed. As it is still relevant to recent posters I wondered --Could it be the affect of medication, pain or stress? My heart rate varies but always reads high, sometimes double that of my husbands. My blood pressure is high and I have a lot of pain and stress. The extra medication I have recently been put on to help with the pain plus additional medication for blood pressure pushed my pulse rate up to 128ish so I have now been put on beta blockers which brought my heart rate down to 72 after only one tablet! Not sure if it is made worse by diabetes. Personally I would always check it out with a GP to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jackie, I had a fast heart rate which eventually resulted in atrial fibrillation which in turn meant I had to have defibrillator fitted. I can't confirm if this was as a result of being diabetic but would advise asking your GP.Sorry, I didnt mean to alarm you !
Atrial fibrillation doesn't usually lead to having a defibrillator. I have had it for years, but pretty much completely controlled by medication. Prolonged high blood sugars lead to nerve damage, including to the vagus nerve. I believe that my AF, which is mostly vagal, may have been caused by this long before I knew anything abut diabetes. I am hoping against hope that if I can control my bg for long enough, the damage to my vagal nerve may be healed. Just as doctors often say that diabetes is inevitably progressive, they say the same about AF. I hope to prove them wrong on both counts.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When do you measure it? At rest or when active? How high? High and stable or high and irregular? I like to measure mine while still in bed first thing in the morning. I record it each day and am able to make comparisons going back years.