No weight loss

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
HELP!!!Been trying LCHF eating but can't seem to lose weight but seem to have gained. I'm due back at the doctor next month and dress being told I'll have to be medicated..So frustrating

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
can you list what your eating and we may have suggestions.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I didn't lose on lchf. I had to do low carb and no cheese, nuts, cream and no pork scratchings.
I used chicken, mackerel, not too much veg but some. I stopped seafood, broccoli and brussel sprouts for my thyroid. I stopped fruit for my fatty liver.
I ate cod without batter..... No potato unless fresh that was reheated. I ate gravy but not more than once a week.
I did stir-fry. I ate protein bread toasted with fried eggs on. I ate egg mayo once a week. I made endless omelette and threw in anything. Maybe a treat a few peas on odd occasion. I ate most fish or meat.

I hope this helps!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HELP!!!Been trying LCHF eating but can't seem to lose weight but seem to have gained. I'm due back at the doctor next month and dress being told I'll have to be medicated..So frustrating

In denial - The first thing is, I don't know where you are in the world, but in the UK, it is very unusual for those with pre-diabetes to be medicated, if they don't have other fairly significant conditions to take into account. Some with PCOS are given Metformin, but that is usually more focused towards the PCOS than the pre-diabetes.

There are many misunderstandings about LCHF. It might be a magic, transformational way of eating for some, but it doesn't suit everyone. Further more, it is, like most things in life, open to interpretation for exactly what LCHF means.

Personally my way of eating could be referred to as LCHF, but I prefer to label it, where I have to as Reduced Carb, with Balancing Fats. the reason I do that is it more describes how I feel about my way of eating, and makes it easier for some to understand.

Going LCHF isn't all about cleaving chunks of cheese and spreading it with butter, before diffing it in clotted cream. I'm not suggesting you are doing that, or anything close to it, but from what I have observed over the years, some folks end up eating large amounts of protein, then add the fats.

It would be worthwhile giving us an idea of the sorts of meals you are eating, so that we could maybe help if there are some tweaks available to you. It would also be worthwhile telling us how long you have been eating LCHF and give us a rough idea of how much you have gained in that time.

Diabetes (including pre-diabetes) is a long haul, rather than a quick fix, so don't panic over a bit of a bump in the road.

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Basically I've been pre for the past 14 years and my diet has been reasonably ok. Fish,chicken vegetables cooked in own juices at home. Out treats similar foods cooked differently. I have binges. Not a regular chocolate/sweets eater per se. At times I get cravings then really binge on some of the things I omit. I'm however not exercised the last 2 years

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What are your BG readings?

Usually it is more important to have good BG results than to lose weight. Do you test on a regular (or irregular) basis?

Reactions: ickihun

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi I used to test daily for a while but stopped in December. The group I attend advised against it

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I can´t go low enough in level of carbs to loose weight either.. I have to count calories.... I try to go as low as 1000 calories in a day... and eat a bit more the days I exercise a lot.. like burning up till 2000 calories each time ... mostly by walking up-hill on the treadmill.. initially I couldn´t do much but when doing a steady fitness I soon got much stronger and had a much better endurance...
we all have to find the formula that fits us personally.... ... I actually was so fat and unfit at the start that a long walk every other day was all I could manage also because arthritis in my feet... my arthritis has bettered a lot from doing fitness and long walks... over time not right from the start it hurt like H..l

I test every day... I think most people will lose control if they stop doing that

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to count calories as well as carbs or I put weight on.

and I test several times a day. I dont care what my medical people say, I need to know how my body is reacting to the carbs I eat so i can tailor my meals to keep my blood sugars at a safe level.

@In_Denial can you give us a typical days menu?

Reactions: Freema

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your BG readings?

Usually it is more important to have good BG results than to lose weight. Do you test on a regular (or irregular) basis?

I'm with @DCUKMod
It's not good being overweight with reasonable BG.
That's just fooling yourself life's good, and you have a magic pass.

@In_Denial eat less, LCHF isn't the magic.

Edited by a Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with @DCUKMod
It's not good being overweight with reasonable BG.
That's just fooling yourself life's good, and you have a magic pass.

@In_Denial eat less, LCHF isn't the magic.

Actually, you have twisted my sentiments. My personal take on managing blood glucose versus losing weight would be that blood glucose has always been my drive. Although I got very slim post diagnosis, I think you will find I have repeatedly stated that I would rather have achieved good bllod glucose, but still have love handles than concentrate on getting slim and finding my bloods were still high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes I do hope to have low blood glucose regardless. I also believe that my portions should be modified to help with the weight loss. So I'll be doing just that..Thanks all

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually, you have twisted my sentiments. My personal take on managing blood glucose versus losing weight would be that blood glucose has always been my drive. Although I got very slim post diagnosis, I think you will find I have repeatedly stated that I would rather have achieved good bllod glucose, but still have love handles than concentrate on getting slim and finding my bloods were still high.

Sorry then
I thought you said you were skinny now?
Not chubby/love handles any more.
I can't say I lost that much weight, but I lost a lot too lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry then
I thought you said you were skinny now?
Not chubby/love handles any more.
I can't say I lost that much weight, but I lost a lot too lol

I am very slim. I didn't lose very much.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very slim. I didn't lose very much.

Sorry.
You just keep mentioning your 'love handles'

I haven't heard that term for years lol!

Me, I'm proud to be a super chubber that lost the weight.

Difficult journey for me comparatively then, but well worthwhile.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't lose on lchf. I had to do low carb and no cheese, nuts, cream and no pork scratchings.
I used chicken, mackerel, not too much veg but some. I stopped seafood, broccoli and brussel sprouts for my thyroid. I stopped fruit for my fatty liver.
I ate cod without batter..... No potato unless fresh that was reheated. I ate gravy but not more than once a week.
I did stir-fry. I ate protein bread toasted with fried eggs on. I ate egg mayo once a week. I made endless omelette and threw in anything. Maybe a treat a few peas on odd occasion. I ate most fish or meat.

I hope this helps!
You are a heroine!!! Your post makes me realise that being a skinny low carb person is hard (because it's almost impossible to GAIN needed weight) but needing to LOSE weight AND reduce carbs must be much worse. Well done that woman!

Reactions: ickihun

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in the UK, it is very unusual for those with pre-diabetes to be medicated
NICE now advises GPs to try to get pre-diabetics to improve their A1cs with lifestyle, and if that fails give them Metformin. NICE now believes the two strategies may keep many pre-diabetics from ever progressing to full diabetes.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You just keep mentioning your 'love handles'

I haven't heard that term for years lol!
The term comes up in posts about how and where to attach the Freestyle Libre. I have even felt some regret that I don't have this handy site to use. Bingo wings are also mentioned. Everything comes in handy if you keep it long enough, even things you regret having acquired in the first place.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The term comes up in posts about how and where to attach the Freestyle Libre. I have even felt some regret that I don't have this handy site to use. Bingo wings are also mentioned. Everything comes in handy if you keep it long enough, even things you regret having acquired in the first place.

Don't let @DCUKMod hear you, lol.