How to get the right fat content in a ketogenic diet

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently embarked on a ketogenic diet, working towards the following macros each day:
Carbs:10%
Protein:30%
Fat:60%

I thought that the carbs would be the hardest thing to achieve but I’ve just about got my head around that.

I’m struggling obtaining the right amount of fat. Any suggestions for how to up this? I’m floating around only achieving about 40-45% a day and I’m aware that if I don’t get this right I won’t actually ever be in ketosis.

I’ve tried cheese and nuts(nuts are challenging with the carbs though) so far but short of just nibbling on a lump of cheese to get it to the right level, it’s hard. I would rather have it as part of a meal than scrabbling to up the level after tea when I’ve entered it all on my myfitnesspal.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No limits are there?

Just crack on with fat.

Beaut of the diet, it' so simple?
no carbs,
avoid protein?

Sign up to this sites diet for a few quid, comes highly recommended by the lchf'ers

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No limits are there?

Just crack on with fat.

Beaut of the diet, it' so simple?
no carbs,
avoid protein?

Sign up to this sites diet for a few quid, comes highly recommended by the lchf'ers

I know I can beat butter and cream but what with? I would have normally had butter on toast or cream on stewed apples! I can’t just eat a spoonful of butter

I’m struggling to find ways to incorporate fat into my meals

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I can beat butter and cream but what with? I would have normally had butter on toast or cream on stewed apples! I can’t just eat a spoonful of butter

To be fair, it's beyond me, but people do seem to eat butter by the spoonful?

Or just put butter on fried eggs, or fry bacon in butter.

Just no bread or apples.

Just butter.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I have recently embarked on a ketogenic diet, working towards the following macros each day:
Carbs:10%
Protein:30%
Fat:60%

I thought that the carbs would be the hardest thing to achieve but I’ve just about got my head around that.

I’m struggling obtaining the right amount of fat. Any suggestions for how to up this? I’m floating around only achieving about 40-45% a day and I’m aware that if I don’t get this right I won’t actually ever be in ketosis.

I’ve tried cheese and nuts(nuts are challenging with the carbs though) so far but short of just nibbling on a lump of cheese to get it to the right level, it’s hard. I would rather have it as part of a meal than scrabbling to up the level after tea when I’ve entered it all on my myfitnesspal.
Hi @jcbman
Try salami, chorizo, pate, soft full fat cheese, full fat yoghurt, butter, double cream. These all have high proportions of fat to protein, which is what you will need if you are to end up with a 2:1 ratio. My latest tasty snack (as part of a main meal) is a slice of cheddar cheese with pepper Boursin on top. You only need a small amount, but it is very tasty and filling.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jcbman
Try salami, chorizo, pate, soft full fat cheese, full fat yoghurt, butter, double cream. These all have high proportions of fat to protein, which is what you will need if you are to end up with a 2:1 ratio. My latest tasty snack (as part of a main meal) is a slice of cheddar cheese with pepper Boursin on top. You only need a small amount, but it is very tasty and filling.

Why do you need protein?
Protein turns to sugar?
Protein can raise your BG?

Fat doesn't

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
You can make fat bombs from raw cacao butter and coconut oil. Google it. There are some lovely ones. Crunchy almond butter is my new best friend just watch the protein. MCT oil is a quick way of getting in to ketosis which I have in my bulletproof coffee. There are loads of recipes on Pinterest too. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try adding mayonnaise to steamed cauliflower or other veges along with herbs or spices, make a salad dressing of olive oil and wine or cider vinegar with various flavourings. You can make small bottles of salad dressings and keep them in the fridge until a little before they are needed, let them warm up and give them a shake to mix.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Avocado, peanut butter (not too much because of the protein content), mayonnaise, cheese, butter...

I’ll happily eat butter with a spoon though :D or a lump of cheese with butter spread on it!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Why do you need protein?
Protein turns to sugar?

Fat doesn't
You need sufficient protein to maintain and replace your cells. About 1g per kg of target body weight per day. Much more than this and there is a possibility that your liver will turn the excess into carbs by gluconeogenesis.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need sufficient protein to maintain and replace your cells. About 1g per kg of target body weight per day. Much more than this and there is a possibility that your liver will turn the excess into carbs by gluconeogenesis.

It's very hard to live on pure fat without any protein.
Maybe you are worrying the op too much

How accurately do you count?

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
It's very hard to live on pure fat without any protein.
Maybe you are worrying the op too much

How accurately do you count?
Sorry, I didn't say no protein! Just not too much, with values supplied.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am assuming you are looking to reverse pre-diabetes. My advice is buy a body mass set of scales, just to ensure that if you put on weight t is muscle not fat. Take baseline measurements for fat, visceral fat and lean body mass. I would focus on lean body mass, satiety, lchf variety and enjoyment when eating.

Because carbs are low, it is likely you will be loosing weight and fixing metabolic issues, so there may be no requirement to get into too much detail (I don't know my ketones and have never tested). I don't think it is necessary to get an exact ratio or even get into ketosis, just cut the carbs (as you are doing, 10% is great) and adjust fat if you are not getting results.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am assuming you are looking to reverse pre-diabetes. My advice is buy a body mass set of scales, just to ensure that if you put on weight t is muscle not fat. Take baseline measurements for fat, visceral fat and lean body mass. I would focus on lean body mass, satiety, lchf variety and enjoyment when eating.

Because carbs are low, it is likely you will be loosing weight and fixing metabolic issues, so there may be no requirement to get into too much detail (I don't know my ketones and have never tested). I don't think it is necessary to get an exact ratio or even get into ketosis, just cut the carbs (as you are doing, 10% is great) and adjust fat if you are not getting results.

What fats give what results mate?
What are we looking for here?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you need protein?
Protein turns to sugar?

Fat doesn't
Or maybe it doesn't when fat adapted. Gluconeogenesis may turn out to be demand driven when keto so your body only makes glucose from protein when it is needed. So your statement "protein turns to sugar" may only be partly true... it certainly doesn't cause me to spike and I eat a shedload of it.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or maybe it doesn't when fat adapted. Gluconeogenesis may turn out to be demand driven when keto so your body only makes glucose from protein when it is needed. So your statement "protein turns to sugar" may only be partly true... it certainly doesn't cause me to spike and I eat a shedload of it.

No issue bud.

If you say protein is a free banquet, chuck it down,
No problem for me, I don't have any issue with unlimited fat and proteins.
Get some in!

LCHF is the bees

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Butter on green veg.. butter on steak. Stephen Phinney one of the main keto doctors puts melted butter over his dinner.
I sometimes put butter on cheese although I find that by keeping carbs below 20g per day keeps me in ketosis without having to worry too much about other macros. I'm afraid that there are some people commenting here who aren't that well informed on a ketogenic way of eating.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve found that prawns need a spot of insulin to cover but fish doesn’t.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter on green veg.. butter on steak. Stephen Phinney one of the main keto doctors puts melted butter over his dinner.
I sometimes put butter on cheese although I find that by keeping carbs below 20g per day keeps me in ketosis without having to worry too much about other macros. I'm afraid that there are some people commenting here who aren't that well informed on a ketogenic way of eating.

Why do you mess about putting other stuff on butter?