low carb yeast bread loaf

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made sure to do this just once I found something that would activate the yeast and rise the dough without it having to be sugar/honey. It worked with yacon Syrup, which technically is 24g sugar (fructose) but having inulin it also has a GI of 1 so seemed like the best option with the least risk of a glucose / insulin spike.
it is soft and light just like proper wholemeal bread. Not gluten free though, apologies.

recipe with video example here:

Reactions: eggs11

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made sure to do this just once I found something that would activate the yeast and rise the dough without it having to be sugar/honey. It worked with yacon Syrup, which technically is 24g sugar (fructose) but having inulin it also has a GI of 1 so seemed like the best option with the least risk of a glucose / insulin spike.
it is soft and light just like proper wholemeal bread. Not gluten free though, apologies.
A loaf needs about 1tsp of sugar to activate the yeast. The sugar is consumed by the yeast so does not end up in the bread. Even if it did that would be about 0.3 grams per slice.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A loaf needs about 1tsp of sugar to activate the yeast. The sugar is consumed by the yeast so does not end up in the bread. Even if it did that would be about 0.3 grams per slice.
technically yes, but I was never comfortable with it, so I am glad I managed to find a way where, even if not all of it is consumed, this is low glycemic and keto-friendly

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding a small amount of sugar, about 1/4 of a teaspoon and allowing the dough to prove for longer is a better way - the fructose syrup is no different to any other sugar, so not any better - for me the GI is irrelevant - sugar is sugar. Add less - and dissolve it in the water before starting for maximum dispersion throughout the yeast cells - they will actively absorb sugar and water.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Adding a small amount of sugar, about 1/4 of a teaspoon and allowing the dough to prove for longer is a better way - the fructose syrup is no different to any other sugar, so not any better - for me the GI is irrelevant - sugar is sugar. Add less - and dissolve it in the water before starting for maximum dispersion throughout the yeast cells - they will actively absorb sugar and water.
that's the difference though: 5g of sugar are just 5 grams of carbs. that's it.
5grams of yacon syrup are 1.5g sugar (yacon syrup is mainly fibre, inulin for 60%, rest is carbs, 24% is sugar)
And if you watch glucose spikes, the fact that it comes with inulin and hence has a lower GI than even xilytol, seems like a good enough thing to me

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
that's the difference though: 5g of sugar are just 5 grams of carbs. that's it.
5grams of yacon syrup are 1.5g sugar (yacon syrup is mainly fibre, inulin for 60%, rest is carbs, 24% is sugar)
And if you watch glucose spikes, the fact that it comes with inulin and hence has a lower GI than even xilytol, seems like a good enough thing to me
I don't see the logic - the yeast needs some sugar to work - the 1/4teaspoon of sugar will work equally well as the sugar in the syrup - there is no need for anything exotic.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like Hotpepper, my husband activates his yeast without sugar. Just puts the dried yeast in warm water and leaves for 1/4 hour. I, sadly, don't get to eat his bread as he uses flour, but his yeast is sugar free.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Hotpepper, my husband activates his yeast without sugar. Just puts the dried yeast in warm water and leaves for 1/4 hour. I, sadly, don't get to eat his bread as he uses flour, but his yeast is sugar free.
That is because the yeast is working with the wheat flour. Sugar is necessary if you are using yeast in low carb bread recipes.