No weight loss

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sounds good, but WHICH vegetables and how much per meal?
The vegetables are usually an assortment of cabbage,cauliflower,courgettes,pak choi, onions, asparagus. Sometimes stir fried or steamed. Salads with berries,cucumber,tomatoes
But maybe too big a portion?

Reactions: ickihun

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I do appreciate the
In fo. It does seem to me that the foods I eat are ok but that I need to review the portion sizes....a lot

In_Denial

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
2 cups coffee daily.Breakfast 3 poached or scrambled eggs. Reduced to 2 now. Some days so busy with work no breakfast. Lunch salad or stir fry vegetables with either fish or Chicken prepared at home. Anchovy in salad some days. I add mayonnaise. Evenings maybe a repeat of what I had for lunch.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The vegetables are usually an assortment of cabbage,cauliflower,courgettes,pak choi, onions, asparagus. Sometimes stir fried or steamed. Salads with berries,cucumber,tomatoes
But maybe too big a portion?
Onions are too high in carbs to be included in a very low carb diet. Tomatoes even more - they count as a fruit. Leafy green vegetables like spinach are the lowest in carbs.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 cups coffee daily.Breakfast 3 poached or scrambled eggs. Reduced to 2 now. Some days so busy with work no breakfast. Lunch salad or stir fry vegetables with either fish or Chicken prepared at home. Anchovy in salad some days. I add mayonnaise. Evenings maybe a repeat of what I had for lunch.

seems a lot of calories to me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does seem to me that the foods I eat are ok but that I need to review the portion sizes....a lot
Yes, that seems right to me. Dr Bernstein tells the story of a woman who couldn't understand why her bg continued too high although she swam every day. Dr B asked her what she ate before her swim. She said, "lettuce". But when he asked, "How much lettuce?" she replied, "the whole head of lettuce." He also explains what he calls "the Chinese restaurant effect" where eating til one feels stuffed will raise bg even though the foods eaten are all low carb.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that seems right to me. Dr Bernstein tells the story of a woman who couldn't understand why her bg continued too high although she swam every day. Dr B asked her what she ate before her swim. She said, "lettuce". But when he asked, "How much lettuce?" she replied, "the whole head of lettuce." He also explains what he calls "the Chinese restaurant effect" where eating til one feels stuffed will raise bg even though the foods eaten are all low carb.

Allegedly you need butter on that lettuce to reduce the calories lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I do appreciate the
In fo. It does seem to me that the foods I eat are ok but that I need to review the portion sizes....a lot
If you add a little more protein it gives satiety so less bulk is needed to fill you up. Fat on lchf does the same but I add on too much fat.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If you add a little more protein it gives satiety so less bulk is needed to fill you up. Fat on lchf does the same but I add on too much fat.

Just reminded me that a favourite snack is a lettuce leaf with proper mayo drizzled down the middle.

Just don't ask how many!:cool:

Reactions: ickihun

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Confused now.
Who's Dr B?
And he's not a high fat bloke?
So butter isn't good?
And just lettuce?

Even I can't do that for too long?
If you really want to know, read this: http://www.diabetes-book.com/bernstein-life-with-diabetes/
Dr B invented LC and pioneered home bg testing. Many of us probably owe him our lives or at least our quality of life. He does not advocate HF, but rather replacing most of the carbs in our diet with protein, and whatever fat comes with it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you really want to know, read this: http://www.diabetes-book.com/bernstein-life-with-diabetes/
Dr B invented LC and pioneered home bg testing. Many of us probably owe him our lives or at least our quality of life. He does not advocate HF, but rather replacing most of the carbs in our diet with protein, and whatever fat comes with it.

LC has been around for over a century, doubtful that Bernstein invented it. Banting was one of the first proponents, see his 'Letter on Corpulence'.

Reactions: LouWilk059

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LC has been around for over a century, doubtful that Bernstein invented it. Banting was one of the first proponents, see his 'Letter on Corpulence'.
But as a way of treating diabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes! It began during the 1800's and was the only way to treat diabetes before insulin was discovered in the 1920's. It continued to be used to treat diabetes for a long time.

Cookery and Household Management
Printed 1936

Diabetes

Those suffering from this ailment require carefully to avoid all foods containing sugar and starch. The following Must be avoided:

Milk, sugar, flour, cornflour, oatmeal, rice, sago, macaroni, the various pulse foods, fruits containing a high percentage of sugar, potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, broad beans, spanish onions.

The following are allowed:

meat, soups, fish, poultry, game and meat of all kinds. Also eggs, butter, cream, cheese, certain vegetables. Light dry wines. Weak unsweetened spirits. Tea, coffee and cocoa which may be sweetened with saccharine. There may be plentiful use of butter, cream, fat and oils if the digestion will allow.

Reactions: LouWilk059

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm however not exercised the last 2 years
emoji17.png
Ok this is my pet subject so I'm gona weigh in on this one.

A contributing factor in T2 is insulin resistance (IR) in muscles.
Simple version: if your a couch potato like me your muscles are not being used regularly when food comes in the body know this and dose not send energy to the muscles instead converting that food energy to FAT in case its needed at a later date.

Exercise more, use your muscles, and when food comes in a greater proportion is now sent to the muscles(muscles keep burning fuel up to 24 hours after exercise) and less can be stored as FAT.

This lowers IR and helps regulate blood sugar levels.

For exercise 15 mins of Yoga, Palliates or Ti Chi is as good as a 5 mile walk. It's not about exertion its about activation.
Walking uses legs muscles & yoga uses the whole body. More muscles being used for a shorter time verses less muscles(walking) for a longer time.

Muscles burn fuel after you have finished exercising so more muscles burns more fuel. ;)
Hope that helps.
:bag:

Reactions: rom35

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

It was actually known before Banting's time as a 'management' for T1. In the early part of the 20th century it became a recognised treatment for epilepsy, too. We must remember that T2 is a fairly modern condition, in the past it was seen as a condition of the elderly.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Onions are too high in carbs to be included in a very low carb diet. Tomatoes even more - they count as a fruit. Leafy green vegetables like spinach are the lowest in carbs.
I have always cooked meals from scratch including curries, braised beef, etc. It is essential to start most of my dishes with an onion or two. In fact since low carbing I have been mincing said onion rather than chopping it to help thicken dishes (instead of using flour or starch) which works really well. So I believe there is a place for the humble onion.

Reactions: DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes! It began during the 1800's and was the only way to treat diabetes before insulin was discovered in the 1920's. It continued to be used to treat diabetes for a long time.
Yes, you're both right! I did know that really, just forgot it, and I have actually already downloaded a copy of the cookbook from an earlier post. But can I say that Dr B re-discovered low carb and made the theory available to the post war generations? I think he did enough to be seen as a hero and he's certainly mine (though if he invited me to dinner at his house I'd go along for the conversation but not for the food!)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have always cooked meals from scratch including curries, braised beef, etc. It is essential to start most of my dishes with an onion or two. In fact since low carbing I have been mincing said onion rather than chopping it to help thicken dishes (instead of using flour or starch) which works really well. So I believe there is a place for the humble onion.

This is the method I now use instead of using tomato puree or cornflour to thicken. We are all different, I can tolerate onion (the plain ol'English type) and a small amount of baby plum tomatoes.