pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Lickthelid

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm no expert, but they sound brilliantly normal to me. Have you tried testing before meals and 2 hours after?

Yes and all within range.
Before dinner this evening 5.1

Had homemade frittata with salad. Followed by blueberries and full fat Greek yogurt.

I tested 2 hours after but did have a hot drink with milk in between and it was 5.5

I only have 3 testing strips left as I’m just using the leftovers from my pregnancy, Gestational diabetes. But ordered a new meter today. So far so good. I feel like I can add some more carbs, so will try that when I can. Today totalled 56g

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Had homemade frittata with salad. Followed by blueberries and full fat Greek yogurt.

I tested 2 hours after but did have a hot drink with milk in between and it was 5.5

I only have 3 testing strips left as I’m just using the leftovers from my pregnancy, Gestational diabetes. But ordered a new meter today. So far so good. I feel like I can add some more carbs, so will try that when I can. Today totalled 56g
All sounds very hopeful. When you have some more strips you might just like to try 1, 2 and 3 hours after a meal just to make sure you have caught the peak and the return to normal. It's great that you are planning to go on testing as you add carbs.

Reactions: Lickthelid

Lickthelid

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All sounds very hopeful. When you have some more strips you might just like to try 1, 2 and 3 hours after a meal just to make sure you have caught the peak and the return to normal. It's great that you are planning to go on testing as you add carbs.

I think I will continue to test for the first few months as I get my head around it all. During pregnancy it was so strict due to the hormones etc so I could eat certain foods one week and the next my readings became out of range. We had prescription strips and had to test 8 times a day. So 7 months of that and it became normal.
So I’m finding being prediabetic allows me more freedom with food I think. So as I don’t have weight to lose I think I may be able to eat more good carbs, and be more relaxed. I think once my strips arrive, I’ll just test the meals higher in carbs.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
I'm no expert, but they sound brilliantly normal to me. Have you tried testing before meals and 2 hours after?
If anything, they may be on the low side, as a glucometer has a 20% margin of error. But I'd take the advice of the person who says to test 2 & 3 hours AFTER your meals.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.

Sounds perfect to me.although some would say it would be better in the lower 90's at 2 hours. But I'd be happy w/these numbers.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds perfect to me.although some would say it would be better in the lower 90's at 2 hours. But I'd be happy w/these numbers.
It seems to me that without the info a Libre would give, one really needs to test at 1hour, 1 hour 30m, 2 hours etc etc. (And when does one actually LIVE?) If I only test at 2 hours, I don't know if that number has come down from a higher number, or maybe has only just gone up from the pre-prandial level, in which case it's not comparable to the official targets for 2 hours. And without later tests I don't know if it went on rising, or went on descending, or stayed the same.

paulholly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
my morning results have been between 5.8 and 6.7 does this mean you can be in and out of being prediabetic? some days youre ok and others youre not?

Lickthelid

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my morning results have been between 5.8 and 6.7 does this mean you can be in and out of being prediabetic? some days youre ok and others youre not?

Not sure of the answer to this. However my fasting bloods were low on the same blood as my HbA1c that came back as pre diabetic, almost type 2. Since I’ve been testing them each morning they are low 4s, high 3s. So for me I think it’s the after food numbers that are more of an indicator.

Although I’ve changed my diet and the after food numbers are in range too but I can only imagine thy must have been high.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning phenomenon , My FBG was 6.3 , I nada bran cake brekkie + apple (normally OK , then later felt dizzy took BP ( diastolic a bit low but normal) and BG Was 7.1 ( 2 hrs after Brekkie approx) , had lunch of small loaf bread egg light mayo + tomato sandwich . BG then straight after as I felt 'better' was 5.0 ! HUH?

Reactions: Prem51

Peridot67

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, newbie here, only recently (this week) been 'officially' diagnosed as pre-diabetic altough I have been trying to convince my GP of this for a while... following a blood test a few weeks ago, my Hba1c was 43.

I have been testing twice a day over the past 2 weeks, first time in the morning and 1.5 -2hrs after dinner, and I average around 7.1 fasting and vary around 6.4 after meals. For 6 weeks or so I have been exhibiting strong symptoms. I have had one spike of 10.1 and one low of 4.4 in that period but have to wait another 5 weeks for a further blood test and another week to see the diabetic nurse at my GP practice.

To further complicate matters, I had food intolerance testing yesterday and have discovered that I am also wheat and lactose intolerant and have chronic pain & fatigue from Fibromyalgia which I have had for >20 yrs...

My blood sugar reading was 9.3 after dinner tonight.... I ate some nuts earlier today I wonder if this is why?

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction

That depends on what u have eaten the night before and your activity 24 hours before, even stress level will have some impact. The only reliable way to test will be a properly done ogtt.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have discovered that I am also wheat and lactose intolerant and have chronic pain & fatigue from Fibromyalgia which I have had for >20 yrs...
I'm so sorry to read about your chronic pain and fatigue, which you have suffered for so long. The good news is that things are about to improve! Many many people here on this Forum have found for themselves that restricting the amount of carbohydrates they eat dramatically lowers their blood sugar. This means greatly reducing the grains and lactose in the diet, so trying a low carb diet could improve your health on all fronts! Lots of support and ideas on the Forum as to how to eat well with fewer carbs. Also here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Reactions: pat81

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Reactions: Peridot67

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oral glucose tolerance test. Have bloods take. Drink (I think) 75cl of Lucosade. Repeat test after two hours to see if BG has returned to normal range.

It's a bit more complicated that that, and Lucozade is no longer appropriate because of the reduced sugar content. There is a pre-mixed drink called Rapilose that can be bought very cheaply, and contains exactly 75g glucose.

http://penlanhealthcare.com/uploads/Rapilose-OGTT-Instructions-For-Use.pdf

https://www.gpsupplies.com/catalog/...pilose-ogtt-glucose-solution-300ml-pack-of-1/