Cake is just for mugs....

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
So after the epic quest to conquer baking using ingredients that are new to me, measurements I have never heard of plus of course, a mass of coconut flour and almond flour, which is just in need of using up - I have discovered the joys of mug cakes!

And the ones I made last night actually came out really well.

I made these - chocolate mug cakes - the ingredients below give enough to split into 2 individual ramekins. You can make up the mixture whilst dinner I cooking and have it for pudding with or without cream!

I scoured the internet for recipes and cobbled together this from various ones plus my own little changes.

§ 1 large egg (I only had medium)

§ 2 tablespoons butter (I didn't have any so used Flora Buttery)

§ 2 tablespoons almond flour (I used ground almonds)

§ 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

§ 2 tablespoons xylitol sweetener (I used Total Sweet - you may wish to try with 1 tbsp. and add more according to taste).

§ 2 teaspoons coconut flour (be careful not to misread this as tablespoons as I did to start with!)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

¾ teaspoon baking powder

1. Measure out 2 tbsp. butter and melt it..

2. Add the sweetener to the butter plus the egg.

3. Add your 2 tbsp. cocoa powder to the butter.

4. Add your coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, and vanilla.

5. Mix the ingredients well, until everything is combined with no lumps and then measure the mixture out into 2 mugs or better still 2 small ramekins.

6. Microwave both together for 60 seconds then skewer the middle to check if cooked. If not cooked it will leave some mixture on the skewer so add a further 15 seconds at a time till cooked.

I used a whisk and after melting the Flora (butter) I just put everything into a tall container and whisked it thoroughly.

I have to say it came out really well. After all the disappointments with baking this is something that actually does work well. I have been thinking of variations to the chocolate version both sweet and savoury so will see how these turn out before posting them.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
So after the epic quest to conquer baking using ingredients that are new to me, measurements I have never heard of plus of course, a mass of coconut flour and almond flour, which is just in need of using up - I have discovered the joys of mug cakes!

And the ones I made last night actually came out really well.

I made these - chocolate mug cakes - the ingredients below give enough to split into 2 individual ramekins. You can make up the mixture whilst dinner I cooking and have it for pudding with or without cream!

I scoured the internet for recipes and cobbled together this from various ones plus my own little changes.

§ 1 large egg (I only had medium)

§ 2 tablespoons Flora (the recipe says use butter but I didn't have any so used Flora Buttery)

§ 2 tablespoons almond flour (I used ground almonds)

§ 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

§ 2 tablespoons xylitol sweetener (I used Total Sweet - you may wish to try with 1 tbsp. and add more according to taste).

§ 2 teaspoons coconut flour (be careful not to misread this as tablespoons as I did to start with!)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

¾ teaspoon baking powder

1. Measure out 2 tbsp. butter and melt it..

2. Add the sweetener to the butter plus the egg.

3. Add your 2 tbsp. cocoa powder to the butter.

4. Add your coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, and vanilla.

5. Mix the ingredients well, until everything is combined with no lumps and then measure the mixture out into 2 mugs or better still 2 small ramekins.

6. Microwave both together for 60 seconds then skewer the middle to check if cooked. If not cooked it will leave some mixture on the skewer so add a further 15 seconds at a time till cooked.

I used a whisk and after melting the Flora (butter) I just put everything into a tall container and whisked it thoroughly.

I have to say it came out really well. After all the disappointments with baking this is something that actually does work well. I have been thinking of variations to the chocolate version both sweet and savoury so will see how these turn out before posting them.
noooooooooooooooooo zapper machine:grumpy:

Babs1

Hi orangeteddy
Can you tell me how many carbs are in your recipe, I’m fairly new to this diet and still learning

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've tried to work this out but got stuck on the cocoa (Tesco unsweetened) - and the Total Sweet xylitol - anyway, excluding the baking powder which was in a gram and the Total Sweet I made it 14.1grams of carbs - so if you shared this as I did then just half it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@SueJB they look good, I’ll let you know what they’re like later!

5A158CFB-3846-4BF1-8B11-C5867BC6B29A.jpeg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks, I'll give it a go next week. Yours look fun
I just ate a bee. They’re a little better from the oven, I think. I like the slightly browned top. It’s a silly cake tin from Lidl, I love insects :)