How often do you test?

BottomlessPit

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wondered how often everyone tested their blood sugars when they were settled into a low carb regime. Once you know you are ok with your regular meals is there any point in still testing on a daily basis unless you try something new?

Reactions: kamsamji

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is a personal choice, I think. I have a good size list of meals that I 'trust' but still occasionally test them to spot unwanted trends before they possibly cause problems. All knew meals are tested, obviously.
If you are happy with your bg levels then it is up to you, there are no hard and fast rules except that we should at least keep an eye on fbg.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will generally test first thing in the morning and before and after each meal. I do actually know what foods will (normally!) raise my levels or not, but I also watch (and sometimes test) for other things such as health issues or different medication which will also affect levels. But it's partly a "being in control of my diabetes" empowering type procedure too for what it's worth! :D

But I'd efinitely agree that what everyone does is up to them and how they prefer manage their diabetes.

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested intensively for the first several months (I am diet controlled), but nowadays I tend to go for a few weeks without testing at all, and then test intensively for a while. I find that gives me a better picture than spreading my tests out and doing one or two a day.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a lot, and I never did really.

People will always have different approaches that mirror their personalities and outlook.

I had no desire to experiment with my health. I knew what foods I had to remove from my life, and did that. I didn’t fiddle around the edges to see what, or if I could get away with eating.

It worked for me, but I would never assume it would for everyone else.

I used to test my FBG every day, then changed to testing late afternoon early evening, when I hadn’t eaten for a few hours.

I now test on average once or twice a week, except when I choose to eat more carbs, like I am this week on vacation so I test after eating to ensure I can continue doing it without harming myself.

Reactions: Leigh.beazley

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I test 3 or 4 times a day. I'm lucky as I've never been told to by GP and still get strips on prescription.

When I get focused on my diet/exercise I like to see what's working and what's not. So morning, & after meals.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Decent compromise, especially in the face of others that don't test at all simply due to poor advice from their doctor / nurse

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I no longer test on a regular basis. When I first went Keto I tested daily before & after meals for a month.
My last two Hba1c have both been 5.3% & my BG's were all between 4 & 61
I eat the same meals regularly so unless I have something different I feel that I do not need to test.

D

Deleted member 308541

I do a fasting test, and before and after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I sometimes test before I go to bed.

I have no problems obtaining strips of my choice, as I get subsidised strips from the NDSS.

Reactions: rom35

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I test 7 or 8 times a day: on waking and before and after food. I do intermittent fasting - no breakfast and one meal a day 2 or 3 times a week. When fasting I test as if I was eating so that I can watch trends.

Could no doubt test less, but I like to be aware of trends and it keeps me motivated.

As others have said, once you have everything under control, it’s a matter of personal choice.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At present, four or five times a day - first thing on waking, before and after lunch and dinner and last thing before sleep. But once I'm more certain of my levels it will be less.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I do a fasting test every morning when I get up. It's just to see everything is OK and what effects anything I've eaten the previous day have had. My fbs is always in the range 4-5, in the low 4's when I'm in a good run and losing weight. I never test at any other time because I just don't eat anything that has any quantity of carbs in it. I see no point in experimenting with new food that may have a damaging affect on my body. At the age of 74, I am lucky my body has survived my previous lifestyle, so I am giving it a long and comfortable retirement in the best condition I can manage.

Dr_Ian_Dickson

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Poor advice and medical care
Testing should be like any other “investigation” - is it necessary? Why am I testing? Unless you are worried about hypo and this will only happen in T2D if you are on meds that can cause this, then little point testing for this. If you are worried a food is raising your BG it might be worth a test but as has been advised your HbA1c measured at 3 monthly intervals or longer (if well controlled) is more than adequate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing should be like any other “investigation” - is it necessary? Why am I testing? Unless you are worried about hypo and this will only happen in T2D if you are on meds that can cause this, then little point testing for this. If you are worried a food is raising your BG it might be worth a test but as has been advised your HbA1c measured at 3 monthly intervals or longer (if well controlled) is more than adequate.

I beg to differ.
I have achieved excellent control of my blood glucose using a glucometer and a food diary.
Testing before and 2hours after food has allowed me to tailormake my way of eating to remove both hypos and hypers.
(I am one of those inconvenient people who can get hypos without glucose lowering medication)

None of that would have been achieved by the occasional HbA1cs that my surgery offers - which are less than once a year, despite the 3 month guideline frequency.

Reactions: dbr10

Dr_Ian_Dickson

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hi, looking at the original post things seemed settled and not describing the important issues that you raise in your own case in your post. I was trying to answer the specific post not your personal situation. At the end of the day I respect your opinion on what you needed to do for your own situation. In a situation where things are settled and Hba1cs are good I stick with my opinion.

Dr_Ian_Dickson

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Certainly if you are concerned you are hypo you should test and if you are trying new foods with carbs and want to know their effect it might be worth testing but “routine” testing with no real agenda or purpose is unlikely to be helpful, gives you some finger discomfort from repeated testing and at the end of the day costs the NHS money.

D

Deleted member 308541

Certainly if you are concerned you are hypo you should test and if you are trying new foods with carbs and want to know their effect it might be worth testing but “routine” testing with no real agenda or purpose is unlikely to be helpful, gives you some finger discomfort from repeated testing and at the end of the day costs the NHS money.
Most, if not all T2's on this forum self fund their testing strips, so that saves your so called NHS a shed load of money.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There are many, many posters on this forum (including myself) who are refused self testing equipment on the NHS and who fund their own testing.

Fortunately, there is plenty of information, both here on the forum and elsewhere, which enables us to test effectively and learn how to manage our own blood glucose. Although i have seen several posters say that when they discuss this with NHS staff, the staff fail to grasp the basics of how this works.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m fairly new so test about 8 times a day: fasting, before bed and pre and post meals.

I find it motivates me and keeps me focussed: no temptation to eat a sugary snack and pretend I haven’t!

Not sure if I’ll carry on at this rate in 6months time though.

Just to put your mind at ease @Dr_Ian_Dickinson I buy my own testing strips and lancets ( and bought my own monitor). I figure I’ll save the NHS money long term by keeping good bg control and hopefully avoiding diabetic complications.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
f you are trying new foods with carbs and want to know their effect it might be worth testing but “routine” testing with no real agenda or purpose is unlikely to be helpful, gives you some finger discomfort from repeated testing and at the end of the day costs the NHS money.

No test strips for me from the NHS and to be honest s%d all support from my GP and abysmal advice from my Diabetes Nurse.
I have found that self testing is key to good control, lets me know what foods raise my blood sugar and maybe even as a predictor of forthcoming illness (my bloods went up this week before coming down with a cold).
There's no "might be useful" it is essential. I realise that as a retired doctor you may disagree but please don't preach NHS platitudes to people who are very aware of what they are doing.

Last edited: