Britain's big diet! More confusion?

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bad food for anyone?

Depends. One of my favorite sausages is Krakus Kielbasa Zywiecka. 100g gives me 216kcal and a mere 0.5g carbs. Also contains sodium erythrobate. No idea what that is, but tasty to this particular reprobate..

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally agree! Research has pointed a finger at the ‘eatwell’ plate being responsible for the rise in obesity.
Actually the eatwell plate isn't followed, and USDA statistics demonstrate an increase of calories, mainly form added sugars and starches in the US diet and not a decrease in fat consumption.

What happen when people starts to follow LCHF or a calorie restricted diet is that people is becoming more food-aware.

And, excuse me if I talk of the Other forum, having the Carbs and Cals book is very useful for me.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
1600 calories a day that would mean roughly doubling my daily calorie intake no way I'd put loads of weight back on.
That makes two of us. Does your GP just say you have a broken metabolism and leave it at that?. I think most of my weight problems were caused by the Harris Benedict formula being way way out. It says I should eat 2300 calories before exercise. What a joke. Oh, nearly forgot, Rosiglitazone, nearly killed me, what with excess weight and failing liver function. Just as well I was getting liver function checked as part of diabetic review.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I believe the eat well plate is fine for those who do not have diabetes because it is a balanced diet. For me and most people of my generation that is how we always ate and in the 60/70s bought our families up eating the same way. Nether me my husband or our children are over weight and never have been. Most people who are very obese do not eat like the eat well plate they rarely eat vegetables fruit or dairy stuff but prefer the fast foods and eat double portions of things like McDonald,s fish and chips and a family size pizzas that's what causes weight gain not the eat well plate

Reactions: DJC3

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually I believe the eat well plate is fine for those who do not have diabetes because it is a balanced diet. For me and most people of my generation that is how we always ate and in the 60/70s bought our families up eating the same way. Nether me my husband or our children are over weight and never have been. Most people who are very obese do not eat like the eat well plate they rarely eat vegetables fruit or dairy stuff but prefer the fast foods and eat double portions of things like McDonald,s fish and chips and a family size pizzas that's what causes weight gain not the eat well plate
The problem is that in my youth we had no central heating, fewer cars, less warm clothing so we burnt off more energy; some from the carbs. Now we have more carbs than we need so have to have less than our parents did to avoid fat storage and this is where the Eat Well Plate isn't balanced for today. Some people have very high natural metabolisms and can eat whatever

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people who are very obese do not eat like the eat well plate they rarely eat vegetables fruit or dairy stuff but prefer the fast foods and eat double portions of things like McDonald,s fish and chips and a family size pizzas that's what causes weight gain not the eat well plate
Sorry but when I was morbidly obese I very rarely ate as you describe. I would eat mainly home cooked good quality food but with all the regular carbs. However because I had insulin resistance from way too much french bread and croissant consumption from when I lived in France I just got fatter and fatter. So I'm afraid it is not quite as simple as you claim. I'm not so sure I am convinced by the "most people are fat because their diets are rubbish"argument, their diets may be rubbish but not because of what you claim but because they have their starchy carbs with every meal just like the Eatwell Guide says.. As always there will be people who fit in every spectrum but less victim blaming maybe the order of the day here.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, weight was an issue right from birth. Fast foods and ready meals werent really available in the 1960’s and 70’s and those that were around were despised by my mum. The foods we ate were healthy home prepared and, because of the weight issues, strictly limited - the medics had no answers despite testing thyroid function and checking for diabetes
Substantial weight loss only came when testing revealed a number of food intolerances and the elimination of those foods - v rapid weight loss (61/2 stone in 6 months) and an overall 10 stone reduction. Some things I came out as intolerant to would fit into high carb end ( white flour, banana, corn) others wouldnt ( dairy, eggs, tomatoes). The weight loss period was accompanied by an overall increase in calories, and , probably carbs - you try doing low carb or low cal on a diet of ,initially exclusively then v much centered on, lamb, lamb fat, brown rice and pears!
The weight loss was 15 -16 years prior to my diabetes diagnosis and was accompnied by several years on medications for food allergies (Nalcrom)

Last edited:
Reactions: first14808

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but keeping the same price. Shrinkflation.
Do you remember a couple of years ago a multi-pack of Heinz beans was 6 cans. Then 5 and now 4. :banghead:

And don't even get me started on Wagon Wheels there no bigger than a Jammie Dodger now. :grumpy:

But just since were having a grumble what about the new Sugar Tax.
Bottles will ever get smaller for the same price or convert to using artificial sweeteners. I was reading a post on here that led me to an article on artificial sweeteners "can cause penis cancer and lead to T2 diebeties". :wideyed:

NOW I'm not a Dr and no expert but that doesn't sound good to me.
Especially if your a bloke. :shifty:
:bag:

Reactions: Dodo

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the Eatwell plate being good advice for the non diabetic as long as the information about portion size in the accompanying guide is also heeded.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually the eatwell plate isn't followed, and USDA statistics demonstrate an increase of calories, mainly form added sugars and starches in the US diet and not a decrease in fat consumption.

What happen when people starts to follow LCHF or a calorie restricted diet is that people is becoming more food-aware.

That's certainly true for me. So it was kind of enforced, ie T2 being carb intolerance. Once I realised that, I became much more 'carb aware', and thanks to the folks here, dug into metabolism and nutrition and why 'normal' diets can be a bad thing.

Problem is changing public perception about what's healthy. So we've been told for years that fat is bad, even though there seems to be mounting evidence that animal fats aren't bad.. If eaten sensibly. Industry's followed that health advice, so we have lots of low fat foods promoted. Even though they're often high in sugars & starches. But they're cheap ingredients, even if they may be creating health problems. So there's the concerns around high fructose corn syrup and some manufacturers reformulating and promoting their product as containing real sugar. I suspect less sugars and starches would do far more to reduce obesity than the calorie reduction being promoted now.

And that public health advice still puzzles me. Basic carb metabolism is simple. Use it, store it or excrete it, so excess leads to fat and other potential health issues. And the solution is equally simple, eat less carbs. And it's simple to monitor, ie scales and/or a tape measure. Junk food industry wouldn't be happy with that advice, but we'd have a healthier nation.

Reactions: Dodo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is that in my youth we had no central heating, fewer cars, less warm clothing so we burnt off more energy; some from the carbs. Now we have more carbs than we need so have to have less than our parents did to avoid fat storage and this is where the Eat Well Plate isn't balanced for today. Some people have very high natural metabolisms and can eat whatever
Agree the Eatwell plate is a great starting point if your starting point is eating lots of junk food as per the obese stereotype...Lots of people do blame our obesogenic environment e.g. TV, modern conveniences etc. making us all lazy but there is an arguement that says its our biology that makes us 'greedier' and 'lazier' and not the other way around. Our biology is determined by hormones and many of us have an insulin/carb intolerance problem that gets exacerbated by eating higher carb foods (and we do eat more of these whereas fats and vegetables have not increased). We haven been driven into eating high carb foods (packaged with lots of sugar) by the demonisation of fat.
To me the calorie restrictions suggested by PHE are not based in science and are just an excuse for the food industry to put the emphasis on individual behaviour rather than the quality of what they are providing - looking forward to the 600 cal ready meals with PHE approved logo alongside that 'Heart Healthy' one already in use! This will be a food marketing godsend for the industry!

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but when I was morbidly obese I very rarely ate as you describe. I would eat mainly home cooked good quality food but with all the regular carbs. However because I had insulin resistance from way too much french bread and croissant consumption from when I lived in France I just got fatter and fatter. So I'm afraid it is not quite as simple as you claim.

I also blame the French! Especially the thin ones who can eat a rich meal with wine and lovely French bread and stay skinny. **** them!

But that's also why I think the '5 types of T2' study gets interesting. Some of us may just be unlucky and genetically predisposed to carb intolerance/insulin resistance, or it's something that develops as a result of diet. Figuring out which that is and tailoring advice will benefit public health more than generic advice that's going to be wrong for some percentage of the population.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but when I was morbidly obese I very rarely ate as you describe. I would eat mainly home cooked good quality food but with all the regular carbs. However because I had insulin resistance from way too much french bread and croissant consumption from when I lived in France I just got fatter and fatter. So I'm afraid it is not quite as simple as you claim. I'm not so sure I am convinced by the "most people are fat because their diets are rubbish"argument, their diets may be rubbish but not because of what you claim but because they have their starchy carbs with every meal just like the Eatwell Guide says.. As always there will be people who fit in every spectrum but less victim blaming maybe the order of the day here.
It is not about victims but about the facts which we are confronted with almost daily the obesity epidemic which they now say people should eat smaller portions of food. I agree that some may not fit that description I gave as there are always exceptions to everything. You blamed your weight from eating to much good French bread and I think if we like something then the temptation is to eat a lot of it and probably far more than is good for us and I am sure we have all done that at times The foods we seem to like best are the starchy carbs which in a lot of people..not everyone..will result in gaining weight I do not think the aim of the Eatwell guide is to eat to much it is to eat a variety of all foods in moderate portions that will suit most people and even some diabetics can eat can eat a small amount of the starchy carbs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I could never do the diets as laid out by slimming clubs or doctors, right from my early 20s, even though I was rushing around on my bike or walking, miles every day, either I have been diabetic for far far longer than the one year since diagnosis, or a 'balanced' diet is not really balanced at all.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also blame the French! Especially the thin ones who can eat a rich meal with wine and lovely French bread and stay skinny. **** them!

Because their meal is actually not too rich normally. This is a traditional recipe from Lombardy

http://www.in-lombardia.com/visitin...oday-s-recipe/pizzoccheri-valtellinesi-recipe

As you could see is full of highly caloric foos. But was normally served as single dish in the winter in a mountain valley, so people consumed all the calories.
It's the same thing of the pizza that was meant as a single dish too. If you add to them appetizers, another main entry and a dessert, and then you go to watch the telly, you have just eaten a calorie bomb...

And I think that highly processed industrial food are way more caloric...

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because their meal is actually not too rich normally. This is a traditional recipe from Lombardy

http://www.in-lombardia.com/visitin...oday-s-recipe/pizzoccheri-valtellinesi-recipe

As you could see is full of highly caloric foos. But was normally served as single dish in the winter in a mountain valley, so people consumed all the calories.

That looks rather tasty.. Think I'd be tempted to add some bacon/smoked ham/sausage and set into that with some nice Lombardy wine and fresh bread. Then leave it to settle in front of a nice fire rather than go yomping up the mountains.

It's the same thing of the pizza that was meant as a single dish too. If you add to them appetizers, another main entry and a dessert, and then you go to watch the telly, you have just eaten a calorie bomb...

And I think that highly processed industrial food are way more caloric...

Agreed, and I blame marketing. So look at a typical Dominos order system and it tempts you with garlic bread, nuggets & dips, bottle of syrup and a calorie/carb packed dessert. Good for profit margins, not very good for health. And no exercise required as it'll be delivered fresh to your doorstep.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people who are very obese do not eat like the eat well plate they rarely eat vegetables fruit or dairy stuff but prefer the fast foods and eat double portions of things like McDonald,s fish and chips and a family size pizzas that's what causes weight gain not the eat well plate
I am afraid that is simply not true. Some do, many do not.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
When the powers that be decided that fat was bad, sausages became tasteless tubes of sawdust with a tiny bit of meat. Why don’t they leave our food alone and make the green veg cheaper to encourage us to fill up on it rather than the processed stuff?