Dexcom G5

D

Deleted Account

Cool.
I'd be interested in reading about your experience.
I tried the G4 but didn't find it accurate enough but have heard the G5 is more accurate.

I liked that you get the chance to calibrate the G4 so I was forced to take a finger prick a couple of times a day and was more comfortable with this than the factory setting on the Libre.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool.
I'd be interested in reading about your experience.
I tried the G4 but didn't find it accurate enough but have heard the G5 is more accurate.

I liked that you get the chance to calibrate the G4 so I was forced to take a finger prick a couple of times a day and was more comfortable with this than the factory setting on the Libre.

I did mean to put G4 but I’ve found it good so far

Reactions: Kim Possible

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @diabeticmegxo , glad to see you've got yourself kitted out with cgm! It makes such a difference.

If you've got a kindle, there's a couple of good books about getting the most out of cgm.

Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder.

Beyond Fingersticks by William Lee Dubois.

They both explain in detail why it's so different from the sort of stuff taught on DAFNE.

For a start, that "only correct at meals" idea goes out the window. With cgm, if you can see the line starting to inflect upwards, check again over 10 to 20 mins to see if the trend is confirmed, it just makes sense to think about a small correction dose there and then to nudge it back into line while still in range instead of needing a big correction at the next meal when you might already be out of range.

Sure, it might mean a few more shots each day playing it that way, but in the long run, I've found it makes life so much easier just giving little tweaks and nudges to stay in range instead of taking a sledgehammer to it after going out of range.

Good luck with it!

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @diabeticmegxo , glad to see you've got yourself kitted out with cgm! It makes such a difference.

If you've got a kindle, there's a couple of good books about getting the most out of cgm.

Sugar Surfing by Stephen Ponder.

Beyond Fingersticks by William Lee Dubois.

They both explain in detail why it's so different from the sort of stuff taught on DAFNE.

For a start, that "only correct at meals" idea goes out the window. With cgm, if you can see the line starting to inflect upwards, check again over 10 to 20 mins to see if the trend is confirmed, it just makes sense to think about a small correction dose there and then to nudge it back into line while still in range instead of needing a big correction at the next meal when you might already be out of range.

Sure, it might mean a few more shots each day playing it that way, but in the long run, I've found it makes life so much easier just giving little tweaks and nudges to stay in range instead of taking a sledgehammer to it after going out of range.

Good luck with it!

Apologies about late reply, thank you!