Low carb diet

Norteme

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I found out I was pre-diabetic about 4 weeks ago, I went straight onto a low carb diet (around 30g/day). I lost 2 kg quickly but then last week I’ve lost nothing at all although my clothes are looser which is great.

My blood glucose reduced to under 6 throughout the day but the last 2 days I have had higher readings and usually before dinner in the evening. The only ‘naughty’ food today was a small biscuit ( about 4g carb) and still within daily carb goal.

I guess this could mean I can never have even a small ‘treat’ occasionally :-( is that how it is for you guys??

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I found out I was pre-diabetic about 4 weeks ago, I went straight onto a low carb diet (around 30g/day). I lost 2 kg quickly but then last week I’ve lost nothing at all although my clothes are looser which is great.

My blood glucose reduced to under 6 throughout the day but the last 2 days I have had higher readings and usually before dinner in the evening. The only ‘naughty’ food today was a small biscuit ( about 4g carb) and still within daily carb goal.

I guess this could mean I can never have even a small ‘treat’ occasionally :-( is that how it is for you guys??
My bgs tend to be higher in the evening. My explanation for this is the idea that I don't produce a lot of insulin, and by evening I have used it all up. Then my small store of insulin is replenished during the night, but it is not large enough to last the whole day. Eating VERY low carb does seem to help a bit, which supports my theory, but I can't say if it is correct.

Well done losing the weight and mostly sticking to c.30g carbs daily! Your experience with the quick, then stalled weight loss confirms Jenny Ruhl's theory that when you first drastically cut carbs you lose glycogen stores which also contain lots of fluid. After that you are back to a much slower loss of actual fat, and obviously you only lose if you have also cut calories. She explains all about it here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/43067073.php

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't quite follow the information given - a biscuit is a treat?
No - can't quite understand that ;)
To be serious - I find that floury or starchy foods seem to hit above their weight - beans are something which I can't eat for the same reason.
In time you should discover which foods have the most impact on you and know to avoid - I would rather have something like a low carb trifle than a biscuit.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It will take time for your body to adjust to your new regime. I lost weight and had no stall at all so I am not entirely convinced of the water loss theory. The small biscuit is something you could test, have one straight after a low carb meal and watch the results on your meter then you can judge if this little treat is something you could have occasionally or not at all. We all react differently so at this early stage of Low Carbing you can treat these small things as 'experiments'.
Good luck and keep up the good work.

Reactions: Arlmy

Norteme

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your replies. It’s great to have a place to ask questions when you’re concerned. It’s much appreciated :)

AvocadoQueen

Try and line up some high fat, low or zero carb snacks for when you really need a nibble (eg. cream cheese in lettuce, or celery, or pork scratchings, or cheddar cheese) , or try just drinking more water when you feel hungry. I have been doing keto since October, having good results and after the initial weight loss due to shedding water, a bit up and down but mainly down in weight as well as inches round my waist. Keep at it, try to avoid getting a carby snack as a treat, remember, being in ketosis and feeling slimmer and healthier will be a bigger and better treat. Intermediate fasting is very good - eat the last meal at 8 pm and do not eat again until 12 noon the following day, it really helps the weight come off. Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You do need to be aware though that for some people fasting puts up blood glucose readings quite significantly.
I eat first thing and then go all day without eating, then eat late at night. That might not be the way to lose weight, but it gives me an Hba1c in the normal range.

Arlmy

I have sweet treats in the form of dates, chia puddings, almond choc cakes (home made so I know what’s going into it), almond butter on celery sticks.
There are a few easy recipes on this forum you might like to try.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! The thought of life without ever having a treat. :nailbiting: I can barely wrap my mind around that. Then again, I have the taste buds of a 12 year old.

With low carb, you can still have treats, but they are often ones you have made yourself. There are all sorts of recipes for cookies, cakes, ice creams, and other treats that are lower in carbs. They are not exactly like high carb treats, the sweeteners do not always taste or react the same as cane sugar and they often have almond or coconut flour instead of wheat. They do, however, satisfy that sweet tooth. You may not be able to eat as much as you used to, while staying within your carb limit, but you do not have to be deprived.

The most varied recipe source is Pinterest. Low carb/Keto recipes is the #1 reason for me using this site.

If you decide to purchase treats, buyer beware and test yourself. I have found one muffin and one bagel that I can buy for way too much and have mailed to me frozen that do not spike my glucose. They are definitely treats. I have learned to be very wary of any sweet that is advertised as sugar free or for diabetics. They may contain regular flour, sugar by another name, or one of the sugar alcohols that spike my glucose.

cocobee.2017

I just had weight watchers jelly with cream, no sugar + zero carbs + BSL tested all good BUT I question the artificial sweetener they use so treats are very occasional. I also want to give away sugar completely but baby steps. Still I enjoyed it + it fixed my sweet tooth for now. I am also prediabetic. I know it feels scary at first.

Happyhomelands

I find that when fasting my bg goes up a bit. I don't fast for long so overall I feel the small temporary rise in bg is OK for me because I need to lose weight.
Everyone is different but it could just be that with such low carbs your body thinks you are fasting. You could Google Jason Fung to get more informed opinions
Congratulations on managing your diet so well. I must admit if I can 1 cookie the rest of the packet would not be safe.