Type 1 T1, just got a tattoo

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I have type 1 diabetes and I just got a tattoo. I was just wondering if there are any special precautions we have to take when it comes to after care to ensure it heals properly/ doesn’t get infected?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I keep all my fresh ink moisturised with Bepanthen nappy cream. Heals just as fast as a non diabetic :)

Reactions: porl69

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep all my fresh ink moisturised with Bepanthen nappy cream. Heals just as fast as a non diabetic :)

Thanks for the tip! Will normal baby lotion work? That’s what my artist suggested. Or petroleum jelly?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tvnerd . Not sure about petroleum jelly.
Some of us T1's are prescribed aspirin as a blood thinner. If you are taking aspirin it may be wise to consider the effect it will have on blood flow whilst being tattooed. On occasion I've had a tattoo I stopped taking aspirin 7 days prior to the tattoo in order to aid blood clotting whilst being tattooed. Resumed with aspirin immediately after tattoo.
If you are on any type of blood thinner maybe something to consider.
Good luck.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tip! Will normal baby lotion work? That’s what my artist suggested. Or petroleum jelly?
They won’t help with the soreness, and will stop the skin breathing. The Bepanthen is designed specifically for the sore, broken skin you get with nappy rash, while being gentle enough for a baby’s bum. I had a sleeve done over several months last year and it was just the job.

caram

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a tattoo last month after worrying a lot about how it would heal/risk of infection but it has healed fine and looks good. My tattooist recommended natural moisturisers, in particular palmers cocoa butter or any cocoa/shea butter. Smells so good too

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had 10, some pretty large and used bepanthen on all of them. Though, my friend got one last month and was told bepanthen has changed its ingredients and not to use it anymore so maybe ask the artist for their advice on that one!! X

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your suggestions. Adding a picture of my tattoo below. The tattoo artist suggested I use Johnson’s baby lotion, has anyone tried that?
IMG_4105.jpg

Reactions: porl69 and himtoo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all for your suggestions. Adding a picture of my tattoo below. The tattoo artist suggested I use Johnson’s baby lotion, has anyone tried that? View attachment 25579
That’s gorgeous! Personally I wouldn’t use baby lotion, it’s very oily and won’t allow the skin to breathe and therefore heal. I think it may say on the bottle not to use on broken skin. I’d highly recommend a nappy cream like Bepanthen, it’s designed to soothe sore and broken baby bum skin, so it perfect for tattoos.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Any antiseptic cream is good for healing tattoos not petroleum jelly as it’s a barrier it could harbour bacteria

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s gorgeous! Personally I wouldn’t use baby lotion, it’s very oily and won’t allow the skin to breathe and therefore heal. I think it may say on the bottle not to use on broken skin. I’d highly recommend a nappy cream like Bepanthen, it’s designed to soothe sore and broken baby bum skin, so it perfect for tattoos.

Got some nappy cream! I have another question- is it just me or does a tattoo itch like crazy!! I know I’m not supposed to scratch it but it does itch a lot. Is that part of the healing process? No redness or inflammation

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you should have incorporated a Diabetic ‘Medic Alert’ in your tattoo. Just a thought!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got some nappy cream! I have another question- is it just me or does a tattoo itch like crazy!! I know I’m not supposed to scratch it but it does itch a lot. Is that part of the healing process? No redness or inflammation
The itchiness is a sign that it is beginning to heal, don't scratch it as you will pull the scab off and that in turn may pull the ink out. Keep putting the bepanthan on, it's brilliant stuff. Used it on all of mine (full sleeve and a chest piece)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As @johnpol said, itching means it’s healimg and it’ll only last a couple of days. If it’s unbearable, I found tapping it lightly relieves the itch a little. Not quite as good as a scratch but it won’t ruin your new ink!

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The itching is the WORST part of getting a tattoo! I do the whole gentle slapping thing to help alleviate the itchiness as well. That and scratching *near* the tattoo!

tvnerd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m trying the slapping/ tapping technique. Seems to be working. Thank you so much everyone for your advice!!

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I have type 1 diabetes and I just got a tattoo. I was just wondering if there are any special precautions we have to take when it comes to after care to ensure it heals properly/ doesn’t get infected?

I've always used coconut oil. it's natural, smells great, it's mildly antiseptic and it works like a charm.

hammerotis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
petroleum jelly can fade some tattoo ink colours , i have found that nappy rash cream bepanthen as always worked well

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Show us your ink then, people!

This is my most recent one, on my left arm and shoulder, based on four songs by my favourite band that have meant so much to me over the last thirty years (not done on a whim!). Took eight months with fortnightly sessions to allow healing.

84828882-7E85-4C09-AB1A-C87884C127DA.jpeg

Reactions: porl69 and johnpol

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Hustle Butter, which is good, but not cheap. My tattoo artist loves the stuff, but doesn't recommend it because if the price. His go to is Palmers cocoa butter (the solid stuff in the tub, not the cream/lotion)