confused with the numbers game

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi yes lunch was 9.1g

That's good. All I can suggest is that the 4.6 before lunch was a rogue reading. We all get them and it is annoying, but not a lot we can do. If I see a number I am not expecting, whether it is high or low, I will do a re-test to confirm it. A 4.6 before lunch is excellent - if it was right!

Reactions: gilllsmaad

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe it or not, those cravings do go away. It'll be a little while, but it comes with kicking the habit. (Sugar is, after all, highly addictive). Sadly, no patches or gum to help, but it does get better. All low-carbers have been there, just like quitting sigarettes. It's hardest at the start! One thing tho; did I read your thyroid's wonky? I have Hashimoto's, and when my meds aren't exactly right, it messes with my bloodsugar. I get hypo when I shouldn't, as diet-controlled T2's don't, usually. I eat 6 meals a day, (3 proper ones and 3 snacks) at around 75 grams of carb in total. If I'm active I might need a little more. Another good reason to test regularly! Going no carb might affect your thyroid and weight as well. (I started gaining weight because the stupid thing thought I needed more fat piled on. Aaargh!). All of this is specific to my body, you'll find out in time what works for you. No rush. It's a bit of a balancing act, but a doable one. My meter is my best friend. And my packet of emergency Oreo's. ;)
yes my thyroid is wonky lol my latest level was 12which makes the gp happy but i feel better when its around
That's good. All I can suggest is that the 4.6 before lunch was a rogue reading. We all get them and it is annoying, but not a lot we can do. If I see a number I am not expecting, whether it is high or low, I will do a re-test to confirm it. A 4.6 before lunch is excellent - if it was right!
thank you i will remember to do a retest in future if its not what I'm expecting x

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Happyhomelands

JoKalsbeek
Thank you i do hope it passes soon and to be honest i dont feel I'm doing well cos i feel i need carbs or sugar i want to grab sweets or something i know i cant have anymore
That's hard. Im doing moderate low carb, 50 to 100, depending on what I fancy. When I am hungry, which is rare now I munch on 8 almonds. It works for me. I've also tried double cream and butter, they also worked but I prefer almonds.
My advice is to remind yourself that munching carbs will set you back to craving carbs. Have a snack of choice handy. Bin if you can the snacks that would blow you off course.
4.6 is about my lowest, I'm also a diet controlled t2. But you will see from the posts that we are all different and you will find your way.

Do take a while to reduce gradually. I've frightened myself by going too hard too quickly and it's not nice. I was glad of the almost instant forum support with that.

Well done for getting your head round it all. Good luck.

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's hard. Im doing moderate low carb, 50 to 100, depending on what I fancy. When I am hungry, which is rare now I munch on 8 almonds. It works for me. I've also tried double cream and butter, they also worked but I prefer almonds.
My advice is to remind yourself that munching carbs will set you back to craving carbs. Have a snack of choice handy. Bin if you can the snacks that would blow you off course.
4.6 is about my lowest, I'm also a diet controlled t2. But you will see from the posts that we are all different and you will find your way.

Do take a while to reduce gradually. I've frightened myself by going too hard too quickly and it's not nice. I was glad of the almost instant forum support with that.

Well done for getting your head round it all. Good luck.
Thank you Happyhomelands I think maybe its too late to reduce gradually as i feel if i start eating something a bit more carby I may not stop!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I see a number I am not expecting, whether it is high or low, I will do a re-test to confirm it.
Congratulations for your scientific honesty! I have long realised that I skew my readings because when I see a surprisingly high number I retest, but when it's surprisingly low I just smile!

Reactions: gilllsmaad

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I am hungry, which is rare now I munch on 8 almonds
Like you, I am not often craving snacks, but my go to ones are cheese with butter on top (I need to gain weight) or 20g walnuts, as according to the packets walnuts have half the carbs of almonds. So if I eat almonds it will only be 10g - almost exactly your 8 nuts.

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like you, I am not often craving snacks, but my go to ones are cheese with butter on top (I need to gain weight) or 20g walnuts, as according to the packets walnuts have half the carbs of almonds. So if I eat almonds it will only be 10g - almost exactly your 8 nuts.
i must say i have found that surprisingly I am craving less since not eating hardly any carbs which i find weird. For me I think little and often will suit me best. x