Metformin

JimRoden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone know of an alternative tablet to metformin.?
I am really struggling to lose weight on it before I was taking it I lost about 4 stone with slimming world but since taking it there's nothing coming off. I have spoken to a lady at slimming world and she said she has the same problem. I am due to see the GP next Monday so I would like a bit of knowledge before I go in.

Jim

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No drug which does the same as Metformin, even though it's been tried to be mimicked. To now no other tablet as effective on regulating bgs from the gut and liver as Metformin.
However, not everyone needs it.
See your doctor as to why you were prescribed it. An excellent to low HbA1c will convince your doctor more that this all-round insulin resistant med isn't for you. Many obese patients get metformin automatically prescribed if diabetic. It is an appetite suppressant.
Do you have a big appetite? Are you not just readjusting to your previous weight loss. Reducing your food input without metformin can cause hunger and a rebound.
Have you been taking your metformin religiously to Dr's requirements everyday?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're taking it for the wrong reasons .... diet might need some revision and exercise regime ahead of a tablet would be infinitely better

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really struggling to lose weight on it before I was taking it I lost about 4 stone with slimming world but since taking it there's nothing coming off. I have spoken to a lady at slimming world and she said she has the same problem. I am due to see the GP next Monday so I would like a bit of knowledge before I go in.

Jim

Well done on your loses so far. That's a bunch of weight gone there

There are over 400 drug permutations to treat Type 2 Diabetes, so there are certainly other mess out there.

I'm sort of surprised taking Metformin has stalled your weight loss as it is quite widely recognised to aid weight loss, by virtue of how it works.

It could be you have coincidentally reached a weight loss plateau, and need to tweak things a bit to get going again.

JimRoden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No drug which does the same as Metformin, even though it's been tried to be mimicked. To now no other tablet as effective on regulating bgs from the gut and liver as Metformin.
However, not everyone needs it.
See your doctor as to why you were prescribed it. An excellent to low HbA1c will convince your doctor more that this all-round insulin resistant med isn't for you. Many obese patients get metformin automatically prescribed if diabetic. It is an appetite suppressant.
Do you have a big appetite? Are you not just readjusting to your previous weight loss. Reducing your food input without metformin can cause hunger and a rebound.
Have you been taking your metformin religiously to Dr's requirements everyday?
I take it religiously two tablets in the morning and two tablets in the evening my blood sugar was quite high at first but since taking them it is normal I do not have to check my blood sugars either.

JimRoden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done on your loses so far. That's a bunch of weight gone there

There are over 400 drug permutations to treat Type 2 Diabetes, so there are certainly other mess out there.

I'm sort of surprised taking Metformin has stalled your weight loss as it is quite widely recognised to aid weight loss, by virtue of how it works.

It could be you have coincidentally reached a weight loss plateau, and need to tweak things a bit to get going again.
I lost the 4 stone before I was diagnosed with type 2 I go the gym 4 times a week I cross train for an hour every time I go and mix it up with weights. I can run a 5k quite easily. I don't know what else to do I'm currently 20 stone my target weight is 18

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jim, that's still a fair amount of weight, even at 18. I'm well over 6 feet and less than 12.

But great effort thus far ... it'll drop off and exercise clearly not an issue for you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost the 4 stone before I was diagnosed with type 2 I go the gym 4 times a week I cross train for an hour every time I go and mix it up with weights. I can run a 5k quite easily. I don't know what else to do I'm currently 20 stone my target weight is 18
What kind of eating regime are you currently following?

JimRoden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jim, that's still a fair amount of weight, even at 18. I'm well over 6 feet and less than 12.

But great effort thus far ... it'll drop off and exercise clearly not an issue for you
I used to play rugby soi am very well built I have put fat on top of muscle I think at 18 I will be a healthy weight I was 18 stone and playing quite well at that.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin will not stop you losing weight as it is more known for loosing weight on it as it can supress the appetite making us eat less. It certainly did that with me the more I increased the dose as told to by my doctor the less I was eating and lost weight I did not need to. I now only take one 500g a day of the SR version any more than that and my appetite goes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I follow the slimming world plan as this worked before the type two but this time round nothing is happening
A lot of us have found that by cutting out carbs and following a low carb higher fat diet that weight has effortlessly fallen off whilst eating great food and not feeling deprived. Alongside this we can reduce blood glucose levels and maybe start some intermittent fasting. Check out some of the success stories in the Low Carb section of the forum and maybe have a read of www.dietdoctor.com for some ideas of how it all works.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I used to play rugby soi am very well built I have put fat on top of muscle I think at 18 I will be a healthy weight I was 18 stone and playing quite well at that.

Understood :) Tough sport. I was Aussie Rules ... different game of course but it kept you mighty fit

Reactions: JimRoden

Robdought

I've been taking metformin for months 500 mg X 3 daily. I also have IBS and take 20 mg buscopan x3 daily. I had severe diarea with in 20 mins taking metformin after meals. At the time I thought this was caused by my IBS so I cut down to one tablet a day 500mg per day. On my own advice. I've not stop taking any metformin and I had my medicine review at the chemist last week with the pharmacy.

The pharmacy is going to contact my GP and ask to change to slow Release tablets. I feel 100% better without the tablets. What concerns me is I can not afford test strips and our GP will not prescribe so how can I monitor my Sugar levels. It's a catch 22 situation. As any body else found SR metformin is positive option.Thank You

KeithT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Jim
Hi Jim. Whilst Metformin is known to repress the appetite I don't think it is designed as a slimming pill. One of the best ways to lose weight is by drastically cutting down on carbs. I had been 13 stone for years and my height (thanks to age shrinkage. lol) is a little over 5' 6" these days. Anyway, a concerted effort on my part to cut my BG numbers to a safe level by cutting out (or reducing) my carb intake has led to a loss of my belly fat - not completely yet but the difference over three months is noticeable. Don't forget that the new fat will drop off quickly with diet but then the older fat will take a lot longer and seems not to be coming off at all. Metformin isn't a miracle drug, in fact I had problems with vitamin B12 being stripped, but it is a necessary part of our overall BG control. I'm on Metformin and Gliclazide which is known to put weight on, so diet plays a big part in keeping it off. Try cutting down on bread and cut out potatoes in all their forms for a month and see how you go.