cop of tea?

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my Fasting BG are pretty good averaging 5.5 over the last week (5.7 since Jan 1st) but I have noticed something over the last couple of days. I take my fasting BG when I wake up and then I take my BG before breakfast and there is a rise.

Friday Fasting 5.4 and then 40 mins later before breakfast 6.2
Saturday Fasting 5.6 and then 1 hour later 5.6 before breakfast.

In between Fasting and before breakfast I have a one / two mugs of tea with milk but then I have always done this. Looking back my BG (from Jan 1st) always drops slightly between the fasting and the pre breakfast test.

Is this just a blip / just one of those things ?

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker
That's my assumption so far. I'm working on the premise, once is accidently, twice is co-incidence, thrice is enemy action.
but I just wondered if anyone had any input as I am still relatively new at this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker
That's my assumption so far. I'm working on the premise, once is accidently, twice is co-incidence, thrice is enemy action.
but I just wondered if anyone had any input as I am still relatively new at this.
To be honest even after 2 years of monitoring my FBG can still throw a spanner in sometimes.. last week I was getting mid to high 6's which is unusual for me.. then came down with a cold so reckon it must have been that but I still see quite some volatility. these are mine so far this year...

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 09.29.47.png

D

Deleted Account

I think meters have to be 15% accurate 95% of the time which means there could be as much as 30% difference between two readings taken at about the same time.
The readings quoted are all within this tolerance. In other words, the rise is not significant.

However, there are other things which could also lead to this slight increase. The one that usually catches me out is picking up a couple of carbs on the end of my finger. Could be a drop of milk or wiping the work tops from my partner's late night toast munchies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My FBG hops around like a pea on a drum, mainly depending on stress levels - and I'm not talking about major stresses like a job interview (although those have a huge impact). I'm really talking about waking up and seeing frost out the window and knowing I will need to take 10 extra minutes to clear the car windows, which will mean I am a bit later hitting the traffic...

Nowadays, I just shrug and wait til a trend goes on over several days. Although I don't often test my FBGs any more. All they told me were that I was stressed, or not. They didn't add anything to my D management :D

Reactions: DJC3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mostly ignore my FBG readings. I really don't know why I still take them. I guess it is just habit. I must stop, and save myself some strips. They tell me nothing at all. I prefer to use the reading immediately before my evening meal to tell me how I am doing in general. By that time any insulin resistance/liver dumps/stress hormones have died down, and it is then when I see my lowest readings of the day. Far less stressful!

Reactions: lindijanice