Type 2 ?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
On behalf of my daughter who already has Hashimotos Thyroid disease, we have conundrum:

During recent tests she was told her Hba1- was at 49. Although she a thyroid flare up and she and DB nurse - are wondering if this have could impacted on her BS. She has been given a tester and randomly through the day has come back average 6.5 sugars. Today she tested around 6.30 she tested and got a reading of 10.7. All she had eaten a handful or so of salted tortilla corn chips. She asked if that was a normal reading for non diabetic- I do not feel I can answer that so put it over to to you guys

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I suggest that your daughter does a more structured testing over, say, a week. Taking fbg and prandial readings then comparing these readings with the charts showing non Diabetic and Diabetic levels. Sorry I do not have a link to the chart but other members will post it, I'm sure. Although Hashi can sometimes go hand in hand with T2 this is not always the case. Good luck.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Could very well have been the tortilla chips as they are extremely high in carbohydrates at 60.8/100g. But in order to be sure your daughter really needs to test just before eating and the about two hours later.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Thanks guys- they were chips are still still high carbs- and would this affect a mon diabetic to such high?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Bearing in mind her early morning tests are averaging 5.5 - 6.5 appearing non diabetic - she not or meds or low carbs but has cut back on sugar. But there is a ? over diagnosis. I think she needs to speak to her endocrinologist.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys- they were chips are still still high carbs- and would this affect a mon diabetic to such high?

Even non-diabetics see some significant rises, following carby food, but they usually revert to "normal" range promptly. I 'm pretty certain it isn't sensible to draw too many conclusions from one reading.

Other things could impact her blood glucose, like stress. I imagine she wasn't at her very most relaxed having her bloods done in those circumstances is she's not a routine self-tester.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. There is a definite link between Hashimotos and t2d although the link is not understood. A huge study in India found that for those diagnosed at the same time with both things the t2d was better controlled when the hypothyroidism was well controlled.

I have both conditions and my daughter has just been diagnosed after a flare up post partum. She was diagnosed at a chronic fatigue clinic, which has been very helpful.

So, yes, the high reading could be related to her Hashimotos, or it could just be the food.

Is she having hbalc checks? Are her tsh and t4 levels routinely checked? My daughter gp refused to recheck her tsh and t4 because he didn't see a need. She insisted which was why she had the referral and her diagnosis. The thing is your daughter has a definite dx so should be tested regularly anyway. The habalc will be a very good guide.

I agree that she needs to speak to her consultant.

My I ask if you have been tested for hashi?

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Yes, thanks she has had major flare up and understands T2 and Hashi links- but her daily readings very erratic and the whole testing exercise is to establish if she has T2.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my diabetes sort of under (diet) control in 3 months, and I had to re-adjust my thyroid meds for a year and a half to finally get it right! Diabetes was easy in comparison. Now, I'm experimenting with my diet again. I kept going hypo which as a diet-controlled t2 shouldn't happen, so I ate between 10-15 grams of carbs, 6 times a day. Now I'm finally on the correct dosage, I'm trying eating 3 times a day. No hypo's yet! I'm still terrified it'll backfire on me, and the carb-flu isn't helping, but yes... Hashimoto's can and will affect bloodsugars. Up, down, all around. Gaining control there will certainly help with the diabetes. Good luck!