Prescription Costs

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys! Ever since I got diagnosed (17 years ago) I have had free prescriptions. Most my life I lived in Wales and had free prescriptions, dental and eye care. I have been in England for three years and I am honestly so confused.

I am not on any benefits, although I cannot work due to chronic pain and debilitating anxiety (avoidant personality disorder). I do have a fiance who has finally found a full time job, though he doesn't get paid until the very end of March. We are living off donations from friends right now as we have no money at all.

I am really worried that I need to pay for my insulin and medication now, and I don't know how I'm going to do it... I have been told I am no longer able to claim ESA, I have applied for PIP but that is still in progress. I am also due the dentist but cannot afford that either.

I saw that I might be able to get a FP92A form, but I am not sure if I can because my partner is working? I hate that they judge things based on our partners!

I'm really really confused on what to do and I'm worried I'm going to run out of insulin. The last few prescriptions they didn't ask and so I think my partner (who picks it up) wrote that I was still receiving benefits...

If anyone knows what step I can take it would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

D

Deleted Account

If you have diabetes which is treated by more than diet, you are entitled to a medical exemption certificate which entitles you to free prescriptions.
Take a look at https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates which tells you how to apply for a medical exemption certificate.
If you do not have this certificate (even if you are clearly entitled to it) you are may be fined for declaring you are entitled to free prescriptions so I would strongly advise you to get one as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, the bureaucrats who devised this system do not want it abused so everyone must apply for a new certificate when their's expires. It is not assumed that because you have type 1 diabetes, you will always have type 1 diabetes. I guess someone may find a cure one day!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@kitsunerin Panic not! All diabetics that are prescribed diabetes medication, whether it be insulin or tablets, receive free prescriptions BUT you have to ask for an exemption form first. You will get this if you contact your surgery. It is not means tested - everyone gets it, rich or poor. This will also exempt you from paying for any other prescriptions not connected with diabetes.

You will also receive a free annual eye sight test (but pay for any glasses), and the usual annual retinal eye screening.

Perhaps you should make enquiries if there is an NHS dentist in your area. My family and I are registered with one in my small town.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Tis true. You need form "FP92A" from your doctor. Mine took 10 days to come through. In the mean time just tick box E on the prescription (something like "I have a medical exemption certificate") Using the exemption whilst waiting for the certificate to be issued is not a problem

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tis true. You need form "FP92A" from your doctor. Mine took 10 days to come through. In the mean time just tick box E on the prescription (something like "I have a medical exemption certificate") Using the exemption whilst waiting for the certificate to be issued is not a problem
I am not sure about that last part and would suggest checking it out. I know you can claim the costs back once you get your card but claiming before may put you in "fine" territory just the same if you use it when I expires and you haven't yet got a new one. When you get the form have a read of what it states

Reactions: Granny_grump_

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding of the exemption is you have to pay whilst the process is going through, but provided you have appropriate receipts, the money can be reclaimed once the certificate arrived.

I know that doesn't help a "today" problem, but might help prevent one in the future.

If you are already registerred with a GP, @kitsunerin , it should be a problem for your Doc to sign the form.

Fingers crossed for you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys! Ever since I got diagnosed (17 years ago) I have had free prescriptions. Most my life I lived in Wales and had free prescriptions, dental and eye care. I have been in England for three years and I am honestly so confused.

I am not on any benefits, although I cannot work due to chronic pain and debilitating anxiety (avoidant personality disorder). I do have a fiance who has finally found a full time job, though he doesn't get paid until the very end of March. We are living off donations from friends right now as we have no money at all.

I am really worried that I need to pay for my insulin and medication now, and I don't know how I'm going to do it... I have been told I am no longer able to claim ESA, I have applied for PIP but that is still in progress. I am also due the dentist but cannot afford that either.

I saw that I might be able to get a FP92A form, but I am not sure if I can because my partner is working? I hate that they judge things based on our partners!

I'm really really confused on what to do and I'm worried I'm going to run out of insulin. The last few prescriptions they didn't ask and so I think my partner (who picks it up) wrote that I was still receiving benefits...

If anyone knows what step I can take it would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
talk to the pharmacist too. They should recognise that your prescription is exempt and can give you the forms and correct receipt, if necessary, to claim back any costs. My friend, how is a pharmacist, told me to tell you that she does this regularly for people in England.

Reactions: Prem51 and Dodo

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As far as I know everyone has to pay for NHS dental treatment unless you are on specific benefits.
This is a longer term problem, though. As others have said you should get free prescriptions.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Can't remember where I read it, but I remember the advice said something like "should you receive an NHS penalty notice for the condition for which you have applied for the exemption certificate in the period immediately before it was issued, simply reply quoting your exemption certificate card number and the charge will be dismissed" or something simular to this

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know everyone has to pay for NHS dental treatment unless you are on specific benefits.
This is a longer term problem, though. As others have said you should get free prescriptions.

Yes we do, but the NHS treatment is heavily subsidised and doesn't make a big hole in your wallet like non-NHS dental treatment does.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for the help! I've applied for a certificate now, going off ESA really messed things up I think. Hopefully they will be okay now!

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=74 who can, and cannot get free dental care in the UK from the NHS. Around here, all the NHS dentists have closed their waiting lists for adult. I have been on a waiting list for 4 years now for an opening.
Here in Maidenhead our local NHS dentists are advertising for customers. Doesn't compensate for the fact that an average semi-detached costs £500,000 though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in Maidenhead our local NHS dentists are advertising for customers. Doesn't compensate for the fact that an average semi-detached costs £500,000 though.

Every little helps!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=74 who can, and cannot get free dental care in the UK from the NHS. Around here, all the NHS dentists have closed their waiting lists for adult. I have been on a waiting list for 4 years now for an opening.

We fell lucky after having been paying for private treatment for many years after all local dentists refused NHS patients other than children. We also have a dental centre, 100% NHS, that is located in the local community hospital. It has been there many years catering for "special cases", mainly severely mentally affected children and adults that are difficult to treat in a normal situation. They were specially trained staff. For some reason the patients were moved elsewhere and the centre opened its doors to anyone on a first come first served basis. We heard about this by accident and applied. Luckily there were still places available. We have been with them a few years now.

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Just pop into your GP surgery ask for an exemption form, you will need your NHS number, fill in the form, your GP will need to complete and send it off. Exemption only takes about a week and covers everything.

TrevA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prescription are free for Type 2's as well. Also, if you are getting a form from your GP, they should know your NHS number. I filled my form in there and then and handed it back to the receptionist, who got the doctor to sign it and they sent it off. I got my exemption certificate about a week later. The certificate (which is actually the size of a credit card) lasts for 5 years.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prescription are free for Type 2's as well. Also, if you are getting a form from your GP, they should know your NHS number. I filled my form in there and then and handed it back to the receptionist, who got the doctor to sign it and they sent it off. I got my exemption certificate about a week later. The certificate (which is actually the size of a credit card) lasts for 5 years.
they are only free for type 2's on diabetes medication.