Type 1 Needle change

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 diabetic for 38 years now and your probably wonder why I’m asking this question now but I’ve had different responses to my question. Do I need to change my needle on my Novorapid pen every time I use it, which is 3 times a day or daily only. I’ve heard different responses to my question and I’d like to know what is the best way. I change my night time needle every night on my Tresiba Nova pen, so can anyone please give me the correct advice
Many thanks Jade0106 xxx

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Every time seems like overkill. The recommendation to do this is based on the fact that the needles are precision engineered for a painless single use, but do go "blunt" causing more pain. In reality, I find I can used them about 5 or 6 times or even more before I start to notice them going blunt.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Every time seems like overkill. The recommendation to do this is based on the fact that the needles are precision engineered for a painless single use, but do go "blunt" causing more pain. In reality, I find I can used them about 5 or 6 times or even more before I start to notice them going blunt.

I have to confess that I don't change my needle 'every' time but I think at least part of the reason for doing so is that if you leave it on the pen, it then provides a pathway for bacteria to travel up the needle and into the reservoir.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since we're doing confession. Yay I have sinned! :)

I keep the same needle on my Novopen whilst out during the day. (Work.) so it gets used more than once. (Though I have spares rattling around incase of a mishap..)

What I have noticed with a blunt needle sometimes is during an airshot, it sprays more randomly than a new needle jet..?
(Think of a running hose pipe then put your thumb gently over the end..?)
So, I'm also wondering if a used more blunt needle could have an effect on the dosing administration side of things too..

image.jpeg

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you need to box ask for 2 they are single use for a reason.

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much from all of you and I definitely won’t be using my needle for 6 times. (Picture number 3 after 6 uses says it all, very dramatic) I think that using the same needle about 1-2 times a day is better as sometimes I have to give myself extra shots if my blood glucose rises. Thanks again for all your advice, the picture definitely helped me to make my decision, love Jade xxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a new one every time, mainly because the cap doesn't fit the pen with the needle on, and because I was advised to. Every once in a while I'll use a needle a second time, when I've forgotten to put new needles in the etui I carry my pen in and ther are still used needles in it that I haven't thrown away already. Lancets is another story, I was advised to change them after every use as well, but they rarely get changed within a month.
I still wonder if I should use my needles more often, as last month I averaged 7,8 injections a day (I counted because I wanted to order a 3 months supply) and that's an awful lot of needles.

Jade0106

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never realised that it could hinder the amount of insulin coming out, I always give an air shot before I inject my insulin, but that’s just something I’ve always done to make sure its coming out, so does the extra air shot cause insulin not to release it like an jet straight away? I’m a little bit worried now, I’m probably over reacting now
Also a completely different subject, I would like to say a happy Mother’s Day to all of you Diabetic Mothers, you all deserve it xxx

Reactions: Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never realised that it could hinder the amount of insulin coming out, I always give an air shot before I inject my insulin, but that’s just something I’ve always done to make sure its coming out, so does the extra air shot cause insulin not to release it like an jet straight away? I’m a little bit worried now, I’m probably over reacting now
Also a completely different subject, I would like to say a happy Mother’s Day to all of you Diabetic Mothers, you all deserve it xxx

Hi again.

The airshot primes the needle & expels any airlock..
A used needle wouldn't hinder the amount of insulin dosed. (IMO.) It was more my observation regarding a worn/damaged needle tip? :)

I feel "in the real world" we do what's comfortable for our own needs, with regards to multiple needle use..
I've pranged the tip replacing the pen cap a few times, so always carry spare microfines. ;)
Remembering the days of glass syringes & knitting needle jabs so even a blunt don't give me much hassle!