Reactions: Dodo

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Were these sponsored by ExLax? Not to mention what Trade Descriptions would cause...

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@rochari Hi Bill, I seem to be suffering from techno-senility. I'll try again for Rite Diet ad.
View attachment 25636
Very expensive!
Oh my goodness Grant, you've done it again! That's the one! My folks were serious about it only being a Christmas treat because it was so expensive. It was very tough for them as there was little money in our house which makes me appreciate just how much they sacrificed to buy me these things. When I started my first job at 16yo we got usually a weekly visit from a Cadbury's rep. From him he used to regularly give me bars of their diabetic chocolate. I feel sure it was in a cream cover, was dark, dark chocolate but I loved it. For me it tasted better then other diabetic chocolate available at that time. The one I hated was the mint-crunch. Bill

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my goodness Grant, you've done it again! That's the one! My folks were serious about it only being a Christmas treat because it was so expensive. It was very tough for them as there was little money in our house which makes me appreciate just how much they sacrificed to buy me these things. When I started my first job at 16yo we got usually a weekly visit from a Cadbury's rep. From him he used to regularly give me bars of their diabetic chocolate. I feel sure it was in a cream cover, was dark, dark chocolate but I loved it. For me it tasted better then other diabetic chocolate available at that time. The one I hated was the mint-crunch. Bill

Strangely, I have memories of the old Boots D choc in a white wrapper? (This was only a treat at Christmas.)
Lol, Easter it was a tea mug without the egg.. (Cadburys did eggs in branded mugs.) my mum may have eaten the egg.? Or split it & handed the chocolate to my sister.. ;)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Diat Pils very strong lager in the 70s it cost 27p a bottle and had a label saying recommended by the British diabetic association.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Can anyone remember the diabetic chocolate in the 70s I think it had a butterfly as the logo and I think coca cola Tab were the first to do sugar free coke in I think a pink can?
Hi @jaywak I certainly can! Both ExLax and trade descriptons come to mind...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, the little box of Wander chocolates and the small chocolate covered biscuits. I'd totally forgotten about those. Grant, you or maybe the moderators perhaps could start a Nostaglia thread or similar. The information and equipment you have from the past, which to me is so great, I feel is important for all of us who lived through those past times and also for folks newly diagnosed.

Oh and the Ex-lax effect kicked in for me if I ate more than two of those awful little custard creams which in my younger days was about the most usual diabetic treat. The culprit, sorbitol, I think was the only sweetener they could use in our 'special' foods in those days. Bill

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Wow, the little box of Wander chocolates and the small chocolate covered biscuits. I'd totally forgotten about those. Grant, you or maybe the moderators perhaps could start a Nostaglia thread or similar. The information and equipment you have from the past, which to me is so great, I feel is important for all of us who lived through those past times and also for folks newly diagnosed.

Oh and the Ex-lax effect kicked in for me if I ate more than two of those awful little custard creams which in my younger days was about the most usual diabetic treat. The culprit, sorbitol, I think was the only sweetener they could use in our 'special' foods in those days. Bill
Totally agree Bill. I have been wondering what the best option is. Nostalgia is possibly the best idea yet. I had thought about Museum or Curiosities. Nostalgia has a humour about it, as though we all yearn for those days! There must be more obsessives out there who have not let go of their relics, or am I just weird? Er, please don't offer an answer! Keep well

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really loving this thread.
At 27 yrs in the things you guys and gals are discussing are to far back in time for me ( just:) ).
What is amazing is the fact that even with such products at your disposal, you SUCCEEDED and are here today to tell us young 'uns.
I know we all have different struggles, but this posts proves that if you could survive back then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to, at the least, in this day and age be able to have some control of the condition.
To all of you with the memories you're sharing of times past, a big thank you. You're making me smile and also realise how lucky I am to be where I am today with the technology available.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diat Pils very strong lager in the 70s it cost 27p a bottle and had a label saying recommended by the British diabetic association.
And it put me in A&E a good few times in the months after I was diagnosed :p well not really, I put myself there by drinking too much of it. 'twas on the hospitals recommendation to drink it but not by the pint with it being sold in half pint bottles
Diabetic chocolate? If you kick an easter egg in the right place it'll fly but if you get it wrong it shatters, nobody's sent me bars of it in years as a prezzie as I send it back to whoever at Christmas.
The stuff's just wrong