Keto Paleo - 4 weeks and no weight loss

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Four weeks ago I made the decision to go Paleo, as I have IBS and struggle with dairy and wheat. It's the best thing I've ever done in terms of the IBS, and also my skin is good, I feel great. I also lowered my carbs to around 20g because having followed a moderately low carb diet for so long, going Keto along with the paleo seemed like an idea time to really tweak my diet and see the results.
My blood sugar has lowered - which is great. It was in the mid-teens, it's now in the 8's and 9's. I can't get it lower than that and my DSN and GP don't seem to care... so I'm on my own. I'm on Lantus (80units pm, 40units am), Lyxumia, and should be on Metformin but after the onset of horrific symptoms 5 years down the line, I've stopped taking them for now.
Since being on insulin for just over a year, I haven't been able to lose a single pound no matter what I do.

A typical day for me at the moment is: Bulletproof Coffee for Breakfast. Mid-morning, I may have a snack of veggies (e.g, a handful of broccoli), Lunch is typically fish or meat, zoodles or veggies, and maybe a spoon of homemade hummus, or some avocado. Dinner can vary, but last night for example, was pan-fried beef with asparagus and spinach. Tonight is cauliflower soup - which is literally some cauliflower cooked and blended with almond milk and seasoned.

I intend to maintain this way of life, as I can see the improvements in all other areas... I just would have liked to have dropped some weight too as I'm drastically overweight.
Any ideas? Anyone have any tips and tricks?

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd suggest having a look at Dr Jason Fung. I think fasting would help you, but because you're on insulin and medication I can't responsibly recommend you do it without medical supervision. Hopefully another member can help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Four weeks ago I made the decision to go Paleo, as I have IBS and struggle with dairy and wheat. It's the best thing I've ever done in terms of the IBS, and also my skin is good, I feel great. I also lowered my carbs to around 20g because having followed a moderately low carb diet for so long, going Keto along with the paleo seemed like an idea time to really tweak my diet and see the results.
My blood sugar has lowered - which is great. It was in the mid-teens, it's now in the 8's and 9's. I can't get it lower than that and my DSN and GP don't seem to care... so I'm on my own. I'm on Lantus (80units pm, 40units am), Lyxumia, and should be on Metformin but after the onset of horrific symptoms 5 years down the line, I've stopped taking them for now.
Since being on insulin for just over a year, I haven't been able to lose a single pound no matter what I do.

A typical day for me at the moment is: Bulletproof Coffee for Breakfast. Mid-morning, I may have a snack of veggies (e.g, a handful of broccoli), Lunch is typically fish or meat, zoodles or veggies, and maybe a spoon of homemade hummus, or some avocado. Dinner can vary, but last night for example, was pan-fried beef with asparagus and spinach. Tonight is cauliflower soup - which is literally some cauliflower cooked and blended with almond milk and seasoned.

I intend to maintain this way of life, as I can see the improvements in all other areas... I just would have liked to have dropped some weight too as I'm drastically overweight.
Any ideas? Anyone have any tips and tricks?

My take on it would be maybe trying eating in a tighter window. Say between 1 and 7 pm although you would obviously need to monitor blood sugars very closely.
Also you have been doing this for 4 weeks so aren't properly fat adapted in all probability. Your body is getting used to running on fat. Let it get used to this way of eating and heal. There have been a number of threads on www.ketogenicforums.com about women especially not losing on a keto regime in the early days. Then over time the weight starts to drop off. For the time being just enjoy feeling great!
Are you also measuring your body? Changes can occur that may not show up on the scale but your body shape could reveal some major differences in things like waist measurements etc.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My take on it would be maybe trying eating in a tighter window. Say between 1 and 7 pm although you would obviously need to monitor blood sugars very closely.
Also you have been doing this for 4 weeks so aren't properly fat adapted in all probability. Your body is getting used to running on fat. Let it get used to this way of eating and heal. There have been a number of threads on www.ketogenicforums.com about women especially not losing on a keto regime in the early days. Then over time the weight starts to drop off. For the time being just enjoy feeling great!
Are you also measuring your body? Changes can occur that may not show up on the scale but your body shape could reveal some major differences in things like waist measurements etc.

Sorry to post and run like that!
I am not measuring my body, but I think that it's something that I need to do. I think I'm just very impatient, and it galls me that prior to insulin and prior to diagnosis if I wanted to lose a few pounds it would happen quicker (although I never kept it off lol). But throwing diabetes and insulin into the mix makes weightloss infinitely more difficult!
I'm persevering and maybe even going to not bother weighing for a month or two longer.

Reactions: Alison Campbell