What's the conversion rate to French blood sugar levels

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't remember how I convert my blood sugar level to the French rate. Can someone help me please, I have to go for my six monthly checkup next week and whilst my GP actually speaks very good English, when I told her my blood sugar had been around 7 she hadn't got a clue what I meant and I had forgotten how to convert it. Any help welcome please.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say your blood sugar was around 7, what measurement units are you talking about, and which tests? Your finger pricks or the HbA1c?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I can't remember how I convert my blood sugar level to the French rate. Can someone help me please, I have to go for my six monthly checkup next week and whilst my GP actually speaks very good English, when I told her my blood sugar had been around 7 she hadn't got a clue what I meant and I had forgotten how to convert it. Any help welcome please.
1 mmol = 18mg/dl
7 *18 =126mg/dl

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A meter from England is in mml/l
So as already said 7mml/l is 126mg/dl (7x18)
BUT
Though they use a mg/dl meter the French read the results in g/l not mg/dl so you need to put in a decimal point before the last 2 figures.
1,26 g/l is the same as 7mml/l.
1g/l as used in France is the same as 5.5mmol/l on an English meter (100/18)
2g/l is about the same as 11mml/l
A hypo is below about 0.72 g/L

Calculation is (reading in mmol x 18)/100
Write down the result and remember that the French often use a comma not a full stop when they write decimal figures.
Your doctor is not surprisingly confused since 7g/l would be sky high( almost 39mmol/l ) and I doubt you would be sitting in her office at that level

chinta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I had a figure of 1 somewhere in my head and also of multiplying or dividing by 18 but it was forgetting about dividing by 100 that was confusing me!!!