Krill oil-

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Saw krill oil capsules in H & B the other day. I know that several of the animal products we have at work have it in as apparently according to the rep it is good for you. Seems she may have been right. The products it is in are nutritional ones made for animals but all human edible... taste quite nice we are encouraged to try some of them. The reps swear by the liver one post alcoholic night to such a degree they have to justify taking on their rounds as they once used so much almost wiped out stock during the big vet congress at one point apparently :hilarious:

Reactions: 2 people

Angusgolfer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm interested in this. I had considered Krill Oil, partly because of my diabetes, and partly because of my recent heart operation. Decided against it for 2 reasons. 1. The heart benefits claimed are only obtained at doses much higher than the recommended dosage suggested by most suppliers. 2. I had read some research that said it interacts with clopidogrel and aspirin that I have been on since my surgery. Please keep us all posted though. If you see this benefit continue, I might consult my doctor to ask if it is ok for me to try it.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
this may be helpfull
In a study that appeared in the 2004 Annals of Pharmacotherapy, krill oil increased the effect of warfarin, a blood-thinning medication. Additional medications that may interact with krill oil include aspirin, clopidogrel, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, dealteparin, enoxaparin, heparin and warfarin. You should, therefore, speak with a medical professional prior to taking any krill oil supplement if you currently take any medication that can cause your blood to thin.
Many individuals have a food allergy to crustaceans, and Krill are a type of very small crustacean. If you have an allergy to crustaceans, you should not consume krill oil. If you have a crustacean allergy, you will generally have a moderate to extreme allergic reaction to krill oil. This allergic reaction may require emergency care and or hospitalization. Even if you normally do not have any known allergy to crustaceans, if you experience any allergic reaction to a krill oil supplement, immediately discontinue use and seek medical attention

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wad taking it to facilitate lowering my cholesterol.
The better blood sugar ranges were an unexpected bonus.
Mind you, I've recently cut red meat from my diet, almost a lacto vegetarian now and maybe that's helped.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
I would take it myself if I wasn't on asprin

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
I wad taking it to facilitate lowering my cholesterol.
The better blood sugar ranges were an unexpected bonus.
Mind you, I've recently cut red meat from my diet, almost a lacto vegetarian now and maybe that's helped.
did it lower your cholesterol by much and over how long a period ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I'll be back on my krill oil as soon I get it unpacked after housemove...

:lurking:

Angusgolfer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this may be helpfull
In a study that appeared in the 2004 Annals of Pharmacotherapy, krill oil increased the effect of warfarin, a blood-thinning medication. Additional medications that may interact with krill oil include aspirin, clopidogrel, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, dealteparin, enoxaparin, heparin and warfarin. You should, therefore, speak with a medical professional prior to taking any krill oil supplement if you currently take any medication that can cause your blood to thin.
Many individuals have a food allergy to crustaceans, and Krill are a type of very small crustacean. If you have an allergy to crustaceans, you should not consume krill oil. If you have a crustacean allergy, you will generally have a moderate to extreme allergic reaction to krill oil. This allergic reaction may require emergency care and or hospitalization. Even if you normally do not have any known allergy to crustaceans, if you experience any allergic reaction to a krill oil supplement, immediately discontinue use and seek medical attention

Yes. Thanks. That is similar to what I had read. Will be very intrigued to hear what effect it has on Hb1Ac levels over a few months. If change is significant, I would ask my doctor advise on whether or not the level of interaction with my medication is enough to worry about.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin