CGM/GM Price Comparison

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought it would be useful to start a topic looking at the pricing of the various CGM and GM options out there. Feel free to add others as they come up. This is solely for stand alone systems. Those with the Animas Vibe or Medtronic pumps, for example, can add their own posts with the TCO detailed.

So, what are the costs?

Dexcom G4 (available direct from Dexcom):

Sensor Pack (4 sensors): £205
Replacement Transmitter: £260
Receiver Kit: £350

Lifetime of sensor: Est. 4 weeks
Lifetime of Transmitter: Est 12-14 months

First year cost assuming 1 sensor lasts for a month: £1170
Second year cost (including replacement transmitter): £875

Total Two Year cost: £2045

Dexcom G5 (available direct from Dexcom):

Sensor Pack (4 sensors): £205
Replacement Transmitter: £200
Receiver Kit: £275

Lifetime of sensor: Est. 4 weeks
Lifetime of Transmitter: 3 months

First year cost assuming 1 sensor lasts for a month: £1690
Second year cost (including replacement transmitters): £1415

Total Two Year cost: £3105

Abbott Freestyle Libre:

Start up kit: £138
Sensors: £48 per sensor
Replacement reader (if you lose/break the original): £48

Lifetime of Sensor: 14 days

First year cost: £1290
Second year cost: £1248

Total Two year cost: £2538

Abbott Freestyle Navigator CGM:

System Kit (includes transmitter, receiver, skins and cables): £950
Sensors (6 sensors): £288 - if purchased in bulk, 18 per time, 10% discount applies
Replacement Transmitter: £400

Lifetime of transmitter: 1 year
Lifetime of sensor: 5 days

First year cost (assuming sensors bought on monthly basis): £4694
First year cost if able to afford bulk buying: £4060
Second year cost: £3856
Second year cost if able to afford bulk buying: £3510

Total Two year cost (assuming no bulk discounts

Cost of Dexcom G5 here in Germany appears to be completely covered by the national medical insurance company AOK, leaving only a very small sum to be found from my own pocket. It took a lot of persuasion to get the AOK to accept covering the costs, but Dexcom have given excellent service and even provided replacement sensors and applicators when „faulty“ applicators prevented their use.

The free 0800 technical service followed transfers my calls automatically to the Edinburgh Dexcom office where all my calls have been handled with courtesy and technical accuracy. Well done Dexcom.

Having used my G5 system for just 4 months, I find it both accurate and convenient. If only the sensor did not need changing every week, it would be perfect. My diabetologist makes out a prescription for an estimated 6 months supply, which is delivered to my door by DHL from the warehouse in Holland within 24 hours.

Why n earth is there so much hassle in the UK about the supply of CGM devices?

Welcome your comments.

Bman626

I use the libre as well. It works great for me. So much easier with a CGM. My only wish is that the sensor should last more than 14 days.

SnapDani329

It really is down to how much life you can squeeze out of a Dexcom sensor - some people get a maximum of 2 weeks. So for them it would be considerably more expensive. And of course, you don't know until you try it..
For some reason I don't do as well as I used to, a couple of my recent ones only got to 18 days. The current one is on day 26 but I had a session of "???"s yesterday.

I’m new to the dexcom- came from the libre 2 system, how do you “squeeze” a dexcom? I thought it just died after 10 days.

wes.w

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m new to the dexcom- came from the libre 2 system, how do you “squeeze” a dexcom? I thought it just died after 10 days.
The message you quoted was from 2015, so I think you'll find that all the sensors now last for a fixed period of 10 or 14 days, probably determined by the app they run on rather than the sensor itself. And the profits keep rolling in :arghh:

I have a T1 friend who has had a Libre for many years. He said that the active time on that had been reduced.

Reactions: miriamy

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible, but tricky. You need to remove the transmitter without disturbing the sensor attached to your body. There are Youtube videos showing you how to do it. Search for "Extending the life of a Dexcom G6" or similar.

• Informative
Reactions: In Response