Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi all,

I recently started going back to the gym and have upped my workouts. I find it difficult to eat enough protein required most days just because I am so busy - 2 jobs and a masters degree! I am also pescatarian so don't eat meat. Can anyone recommend a good protein powder that isn't going to havoc with my blood sugar levels?

I could do a google search but would rather hear first hand from fellow type 1's!

Thanks

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted Account

Hi @Miss90
Sorry I can't answer your questions: you have raised a question in my mind. What makes you think you need more protein now you have upped your gym?
I am a frequent gym-goer: usually every other day with other sports like climbing on the other days. I usually do a combination of cardio and weights (although recently I have had to reduce my weights as I have torn a tendon in my arm). I find this regime helps me maintain my weight and keeps me toned (just under 20% fat) without changing my diet.
However, like you, I eat no meat: I call it "vegaquarian"so I am very conscious of the amount of protein I eat and wonder what the impact would be if I ate more.
Apologies for distracting your thread for my own gain.
And good luck with your discoveries.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I am very conscious of the amount of protein I eat and wonder what the impact would be if I ate more.
Micro damage: we build muscles by ripping them and knitting them back together with protein. :bookworm:

The idea is you eat carbs to give the body energy to burn before exercise, as simple as a banana, and protein after to rebuild the micro damage that exercise has caused. ( its supposed to be 1/2 hour after exercise)

If your struggling for a food source nuts are a great source of protein or a protein shake after a work out.;)
:bag:

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.myprotein.com/our-range/protein.list

They're a pretty cheap and reliable source of protein for most diets. Their standard whey protein never had much of an affect on my sugar levels, just had to take note of how much milk I had with it.

I'd recommend going for 1.4g protein for every kg of body weight minimum. Using that has got me to some pretty decent lifts. The research says more could be better but 1.4g/kg should be reasonably easy to fit into your diet.

Also it has to be a long term thing too. It won't make any sudden changes but long term your progress will be a lot better than without it.

Good luck.