Struggling

JoJoS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really fed up and struggling. My blood sugars are up and down and I don't feel I have any control over them anymore. I'm making mistakes at work, and feel like running away. What does anyone else do when they feel like this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @JoJoS It's pretty common to feel down about things, there's alot of responsibility and work in managing this. Can you give us a run down of what insulin you're on, what your daily readings are like etc ? Running high/low BG readings will get you down, it goes hand in hand with anxiety.

When things get like this it's best to go back to basics and start fresh, so begin with basal testing to check your background insulin is set at the right dose, this is the foundation for your control http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007
once this is sorted then it's down to reviewing your daily carb/insulin ratios and getting these fine tuned.

Think of this a temporary blip, it will improve but putting some effort in to work on this will help improve your control.

Reactions: JoJoS

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JoJoS. Hang in there buddy.

Everything that @Juicyj said!

Plus...

Diabetes has a nasty habit of making us feel rubbish at times. Unfortunately it's part and parcel of living with a life-long condition.

What's helped me in the past is talking about how I feel (woohoo, you've already started that bit!) which really helps validate your feelings and can help alleviate the burden. I also find that the more effort I put into managing my diabetes the better I feel. I don't know whether this is due to lower blood sugars making me feel better, or just the positive mental attitude that comes with it.

Something that really helped me get my blood sugars under control last time round was the Freestyle Libre. Yeah, it's almost impossible to get on prescription and costs a bomb to have it privately but it's brilliant for seeing what your bloods are doing during the day and the fact that it's so easy and pain-free means that it can really encourage you to test more frequently.

Keep writing and we'll help where we can.

J

Reactions: JoJoS

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All what they above say! But this might sound counter-intuitive, because we all strive to keep our numbers as low as possible and aim for the 'gold medal' level (try saying that after a few!), don't worry too much about the highs for the moment, concentrate on getting rid of the lows. In a few days you'd be wondering what the fuss was about.

Reactions: Juicyj and JoJoS

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad to hear it @JoJoS Sometimes things can go completely pear shaped without rhyme or reason, that's the nature of the beast, but love the advice from @slip - just focus on avoiding the lows as they can pull you down. I am feeling your pain as I keep waking high at the moment, so back to the drawing board for me !

Reactions: slip