What's the conversion rate to French blood sugar levels

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't remember how I convert my blood sugar level to the French rate. Can someone help me please, I have to go for my six monthly checkup next week and whilst my GP actually speaks very good English, when I told her my blood sugar had been around 7 she hadn't got a clue what I meant and I had forgotten how to convert it. Any help welcome please.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say your blood sugar was around 7, what measurement units are you talking about, and which tests? Your finger pricks or the HbA1c?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I can't remember how I convert my blood sugar level to the French rate. Can someone help me please, I have to go for my six monthly checkup next week and whilst my GP actually speaks very good English, when I told her my blood sugar had been around 7 she hadn't got a clue what I meant and I had forgotten how to convert it. Any help welcome please.
1 mmol = 18mg/dl
7 *18 =126mg/dl

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A meter from England is in mml/l
So as already said 7mml/l is 126mg/dl (7x18)
BUT
Though they use a mg/dl meter the French read the results in g/l not mg/dl so you need to put in a decimal point before the last 2 figures.
1,26 g/l is the same as 7mml/l.
1g/l as used in France is the same as 5.5mmol/l on an English meter (100/18)
2g/l is about the same as 11mml/l
A hypo is below about 0.72 g/L

Calculation is (reading in mmol x 18)/100
Write down the result and remember that the French often use a comma not a full stop when they write decimal figures.
Your doctor is not surprisingly confused since 7g/l would be sky high( almost 39mmol/l ) and I doubt you would be sitting in her office at that level

chinta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I had a figure of 1 somewhere in my head and also of multiplying or dividing by 18 but it was forgetting about dividing by 100 that was confusing me!!!