Blood Levels - when to have a snack before bed

Creggwood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’m just over a week into being diagnosed with T1 and I was wondering what BS level would warrant a snack before bed?

Yesterday I went to bed with 6.1 and woke up at 4.6 feeling terrible, I understand this was probably because My body is getting used to being a normal BS level again, as well as trying to find the right long acting insulin dose for myself before bed. But wondering if I should have a little snack to tide me over through the night? #imisssnackingalready

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Creggwood and welcome :). You have hit the nail on he head about getting used to functioning at normal levels, it does take a while to get used to 'normal' ranges. However there is a possibility that if you woke at 4.6 feeling terrible then you may of had a hypo in your sleep, as you've just been diagnosed you may experience a honeymoon phase which happens because your stressed pancreas will be feeling a little less stressed with insulin therapy, this will mean reducing your insulin, however you need to have a chat with your DSN about this first.

If you are keen to snack then try something with less than 10g of carb or something like olives or cheese.

Joe1056

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant people who say they know all about diabetes but don't actually have it, hate them!
I am T1 and have been for many years. I usually ensure I am just above 8 before I go to bed, but I have always kept a sugary drink beside the bed in case I run low while I'm asleep. Rarely need it but sometimes I over estimate the insulin required to keep me normal at night, so a few sips of lucozade does the trick. Just don't go over the top on sweet drink or you'll be trotting to the loo in a couple of hours.

Reactions: Creggwood

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @Creggwood, it's all new isn't it?. 7 months ago I didn't know jack squat and worried about everything. One of the things I've taught myself is to go to bed on a 6 or above. If I'm lower, I have a Carrs cheese melt or two, 3g carbs each and they do the trick.No Lucozade by the bed for me just a tube of Rowntrees fruit pastilles but haven't had to use them yet, touch wood. Onwards and good wards:)

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
When you say "before going to bed" - please can you tell me approx. time you go to bed, how many hours sleep you get, and when you get up for next finger-jab check in morning? I also worry about hours between last meal, sleep & unknown hypos through night if I don't get up later and nibble on jelly baby or glucose tablet to keep safe