Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

jos64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
John 53 male uk St Neots. Non practicing catholic. Shy, family man, mostly happy.
Family dog,
Both
Football (Chelsea) boxing, rugby
Only my ear form the 80s
Paul Weller, led zeppelin, pink Floyd, ELP, the Jam.
Rock.
Skull & crossbones
Was in the scouts so lots
Wife, kids & granddaughter
No
London- birth place
Arrow, the flash, taken, scorpion, all dc shows
Few good men. Blues brothers. All Star Wars. A beautiful mind.
No - have to work - sadly
Engineering manager
Engineering
I try and help and get on with everyone
Fat & bald

Now having being diagnosed with t2 life just got a bit harder

Been looking at this site and learning a lot. Thanks to all

jos64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello answers to the posted questions

John
53 male
uk St Neots. Non practicing catholic. Shy, family man, mostly happy.
Family dog,
Both
Football (Chelsea) boxing, rugby
Only my ear form the 80s
Paul Weller, led zeppelin, pink Floyd, ELP, the Jam.
Rock.
Skull & crossbones
Was in the scouts so lots
Wife, kids & granddaughter
No
London- birth place
Arrow, the flash, taken, scorpion, all dc shows
Few good men. Blues brothers. All Star Wars. A beautiful mind.
No - have to work - sadly
Engineering manager
Engineering
I try and help and get on with everyone
Fat & bald

Now having being diagnosed with t2 life just got a bit harder

Been looking at this site and learning a lot. Thanks to all

Wide Dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, Diagnosed with type 2 three weeks ago. 9.6 mmol/l. Told to cut out anything sweet to help stop craving for sweet things. Told them I don’t crave sweet things so why bother. I’m fat cos I stress eat and always go for savoury.
Anyhoo, went on this site and decided to reduce my carb intake. I have had nothing but meat, cheese , above ground veg, nuts and some milk. Although I still drink around 5 cups of coffee a day. I also gotta blood test kit yesterday. Before evening meal it was 6.3 90 min Later it was 8.3. great I thought this is working. Still can’t work out why first thing this morning it was still at 7.5. Maybe a bit more trawling around this site will give me the answer. 58y Male 17.6 stone 5’7” and ****** off...... I really loved mashed taters and savoury rice and Cod in batter and Pies ......sigh

0firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, celery, muesli, to name a few
Hi People, friends, first time on so, please miss any mistakes I make and let me know,

Name: I answer to most things, but I do like Chris.
Age: I like my kids version, and I did not bribe them, I am middle aged,
57 so that means I should live to at least a hundred.
Last time I looked definitely Male
Born in England, London, East End, now in Lincolnshire LN2
C of E and go to church through out the year not every weekend
personality I will have to think on those 3
Both Microsoft at work and home Laptop+PC, Apple Phones and Pad
Cats 3 of them, under a year old got them before they went to the Vets
I like football and walking and do not do enough of both
couple of names on arm not to regretful at least I can keep them covered at work if I wish
I just like music as a back ground but prefer, Soul/Motown music, Smooth Fm, when I am in the car
I work at the local Uni as support staff, don't teach, I am so poor wife and 3 kids keep taking all my money, that is what I believe and sticking to it, I did like Toronto and Ottawa in Canada, would like to have lived there in a previous life, in this one I am to old now
Thats all for now

Chris

Reactions: UserABC2021

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi People, friends, first time on so, please miss any mistakes I make and let me know,

Name: I answer to most things, but I do like Chris.
Age: I like my kids version, and I did not bribe them, I am middle aged,
57 so that means I should live to at least a hundred.
Last time I looked definitely Male
Born in England, London, East End, now in Lincolnshire LN2
C of E and go to church through out the year not every weekend
personality I will have to think on those 3
Both Microsoft at work and home Laptop+PC, Apple Phones and Pad
Cats 3 of them, under a year old got them before they went to the Vets
I like football and walking and do not do enough of both
couple of names on arm not to regretful at least I can keep them covered at work if I wish
I just like music as a back ground but prefer, Soul/Motown music, Smooth Fm, when I am in the car
I work at the local Uni as support staff, don't teach, I am so poor wife and 3 kids keep taking all my money, that is what I believe and sticking to it, I did like Toronto and Ottawa in Canada, would like to have lived there in a previous life, in this one I am to old now
Thats all for now

Chris

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay :)

0firefly1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, celery, muesli, to name a few
I did forget that I am T2 on
Metformin
Atorvastatin
Amlodipine
Aspirin
and take a multivitamin

11/10/17 BP 188/92
11/10/17 HA1c 50
25/10/17 BP 165/95
13/11/17 BP 166/93
13/11/17 HA1c 51
?
?
?
07/03/18 HA1c 45
LDL's / HDL's need to read through the list to pick the right ones
Chris

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, my name is Doris. 69 years old. Female. Live in Croydon. Born in England. Christian. I have a dog.no tattoos or piercings. Retired.
Hi, my name is Doris. 69 years old. Female. Live in Croydon. Born in England. Christian. I have a dog.no tattoos or piercings. Retired.
Hello Doris, I was born in Croydon and went to Croydon High School from the age of 5 to 18, but I now live (retired) in the North of England. IMO we are both much better off without tattoos or piercings! What kind of dog?

Steve1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your name? Steve
- How old are you? 65
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? United Kingdom
- Which city/area do you live in? South London
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Genesis, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay, Marillion
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- Which countries have you visited? USA, France, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired web designer

Reactions: UserABC2021

KeithT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, Diagnosed with type 2 three weeks ago. 9.6 mmol/l. Told to cut out anything sweet to help stop craving for sweet things. Told them I don’t crave sweet things so why bother. I’m fat cos I stress eat and always go for savoury.
Anyhoo, went on this site and decided to reduce my carb intake. I have had nothing but meat, cheese , above ground veg, nuts and some milk. Although I still drink around 5 cups of coffee a day. I also gotta blood test kit yesterday. Before evening meal it was 6.3 90 min Later it was 8.3. great I thought this is working. Still can’t work out why first thing this morning it was still at 7.5. Maybe a bit more trawling around this site will give me the answer. 58y Male 17.6 stone 5’7” and ****** off...... I really loved mashed taters and savoury rice and Cod in batter and Pies ......sigh

Hi Wide Dog. We have all been where you are at some point in this unwanted journey of ours. Whilst you can get some solace from other sufferers, your health is in your hands alone. Medication will help you on your way of course, so make sure you take it as prescribed but remember even meds need self management. It took me a long time to realise that this disease is a slow killer (sorry to be blunt) but it does not necessarily have the final say in your destiny. That my friend is still in your hands. We all respond differently to food, so you need to work out just what it is that makes your BGs Spike the way they do. Test regularly and keep notes. ( I use a MS Word table to keep a record of my levels so I can analyse and adjust where needed. I loved potatoes but they are like poison to me, sending my BG numbers sky high. Same with rice, so I cut them out of my diet and have a couple of roasties on special occasions only. Carbohydrate - cakes, bread, pastries, all will send you sky high and need careful use. I bake my own bread and never eat carbs after 3 pm. It will be hard at first but after a couple of weeks, when you see your weight dropping and your numbers in the safe arena, you will be excited and know you have kicked diabetes well and truly up the backside. It's your shout. All the anger and annoyance in the world won't stabilise it. A sensible approach to what you put in your mouth will. And you will feel all the better for it. Good luck with the journey and stay on top of it.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- What is your name? Peter
- How old are you? 28
- Which country are you from? Canada
- Which city/area do you live in? Winnipeg
- Are you religious? No but I appreciate the belief in a religion
- Pick three words to describe your personality. I don't know really
- Do you have any pets? I used to care for Guinea pigs but gave them away.
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft (Windows 10)
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? As a Canadian, love Hockey!
- Do you get angry easily? No, it takes a lot to make me angry
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Neither
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. The Killers / The Fray / Johnny Cash / Weezer / Glay
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? I really like everything but gangster rap and new country music
- What is your favourite flag? The Maple leaf!
- Ever gone camping? Yes and I loved it
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No, my skin naturally tans and all my friends get jealous of my tan mid summer
- Which countries have you visited? I've only been in Canada
- Favourite city? The one I live in!
- List your five favourite TV programmes. The Wire / Sopranos / Boardwalk Empire / House / Silicon Valley
- List your five favourite films. The Dark Knight / Shawshank Redemption / Gattaca / Fight Club / The Green Mile
- Are you wealthy? I have some money saved up
- Do you work? If so, as what? Seasonal construction!
- List the subjects you study/have studied. I learned a little about Law and Greek civilization, anthropology and sociology
- What do you like most about yourself? My ability to learn and adapt
- What do you like least about yourself? My ability to procrastinate, I read somewhere that in our minds we don't see future you as you but a stranger which makes it easier for us to put off what we could do today instead of tomorrow.

Crackaig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I'm Alan, and live in the Highlands of Scotland, on the east coast of Sutherland. I'm 54, and would describe myself as "not old, just very abused". Originally from Oldham in Lancashire I've been around the block more than once, you could describe me as "high milage" having lived and worked overseas and all round the UK. Heavy engineering was my game, but it has taken its tole over the years. 3 spinal injuries, have done as much for me physically, as some of the things I have been through, have done to my head. There is a 4 letter word that could be used to describe my health, but I shall refrain.
I'm here because I went to see my GP about three weeks ago. Between Christmas and New Year last year I had had a full on dose of the bug that was going around. I can't recall ever being quite so ill. Since then I had been struggling. Doing anything was so difficult that, well, I just didn't. Even walking from my living room to the kitchen to make a cuppa was a trial. I really thought this was my depression coming back with a vengeance; which was strange as I felt ok in that area, once I got going. So I dragged my carcass round to the doc. He said there was something wrong, and was there ever. Blood tests, angiogram, more blood tests, Chest X-ray, Scans, revealed Arterial fibrillation and type 2 diabetes. Quite a blow to find both at once, but in a way also a great relief. At least I know there is something wrong that is making things hard to do.
Now I am here trying to develop a new picture of what my life should look like. Right now it is rather disconnected and quite scary, but I will pull things together in time.
That's the health part. Now for the rest of the picture. Being unable to work I now volunteer with an organisation based in Inverness. HUG Action For Mental Health. We provide group advocacy for Mental Health Service Users. This is at once a fascinating, enthralling, and frustrating thing. In the last few months I have been coopted onto a committee, the Scottish Patient Safety Project, leadership committee for Inverness hospitals. Having never dealt with NHS bureaucracy before I felt like gripping some of the people by the throne and giving them a dam good shake, to wake them up to the real world. However, I have just learned that as a result of the work of SPSP throughout Scotland, inpatient deaths ate 10.4% below predicted levels in the last year. I am rather proud to play even the tiniest part in that.
Other than that my passions are fly fishing, writing, and photography. Living here in the Highlands I am ideally placed for these; and with that I seem to have come full circle, back where I started, so I'll finish.
Cheers,
A.

Reactions: Ragmar

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Crackaig Happy to have you aboard, may I ask what you write about? like memoir's or short stories? My city is changing little by little and I've been thinking about photography, like buying a 200 dollar camera and just taking simple photos, nothing fancy

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Crackaig Happy to have you aboard, may I ask what you write about? like memoir's or short stories? My city is changing little by little and I've been thinking about photography, like buying a 200 dollar camera and just taking simple photos, nothing fancy
Hello Alan, just a quick post to say that I too am living with Atrial Fibrillation AND diabetes. Can't write more as I have to get out for my run before the sun goes in. See you later and good luck!

Crackaig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the welcome. Most, but far from all, my published writing has been on fly fishing and fly tying. I’ve written some on my experiences of mental health. I’m about 1/3 rd of the way through a novel. Which I need to go back over and revise. It is getting a little out of line with what I was trying to explore. Not in a good way. It needs bringing back. I have, perhaps, given it its head for too long.
Ragnar, photography can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. At the cheaper end of the market you are as well served by a good smartphone camera as many you can buy. The bigger expensive cameras are all about control of the image. If you use automatic settings then you are trusting some tech in a lab, probably in the Far East to guess what settings you need. They are fairly good at it. However, I know what I’m pointing the camera at, and have studied just as much as they have. I can make the same judgement on a shot by shot basis, without the guesswork. If you are not going to study to that extent, stick with the simple cameras. At a fairly low point in price range you stop buying any improvement. Smartphone cameras are about at that point now.
Run!!! I wish. Though I am starting to feel the benefits of the treatment and can walk further than I could two weeks ago. Now to get some of this weight off.
One good thing in my favour is, fly fishing is far more active than sitting drowning a worm. I have been known to walk 16 mile in the course of a days fishing. Hardly a sedentary pastime.
Thanks again for the welcome.
Alan.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Run!!! I wish. Though I am starting to feel the benefits of the treatment and can walk further than I could two weeks ago. Now to get some of this weight off.
One good thing in my favour is, fly fishing is far more active than sitting drowning a worm. I have been known to walk 16 mile in the course of a days fishing. Hardly a sedentary pastime.
Definitely better to walk before running, especially if one has any weight to lose. Personally, I do a lot of walking but I don't think I'd do well at it, or enjoy it, while encumbered with rods etc and at risk of getting wet!!!

set-in-stone

Hi guys!
Been lurking here for a couple of months, now brave enough to bite the bullet and do an intro.
A link from Diet Doctor led me here. I do not have diabetes. Was researching how to support husband who was diagnosed with T2 about 2 years ago.
I have truly benefited from the comradie, support and wealth of experience from reading the posts here. The LCHF diet does work! Hubby’s blood readings are 5.3 - 6.2. Down from the high 20s

We have teenage children and are frank with them about their dad’s diagnosis, and why our diet has changed. They understand. And regularly share in our delicious lchf meals.
I still buy them bread, rice and pasta though. I do not want to force them into lchf . I do remind them of the perils of high carb foods. Hope they beat this in kind as they get older.

You are all truly amazing! Thank you

Reactions: Sue192

thomarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new here, though have been lurking around for a while and thought I'd sign up. So, here's my answers to most:

- What is your name? Thomas (or Tom or Tomás or Thomas (with Th as in 'that'...) depending on who's talking to me)
- How old are you? 46
- Which country are you from? Norway
- Which city/area do you live in? Dublin, Ireland
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Positive, tolerant and patient (well, 2 and a half..)
- Do you have any pets? No, but I'm a dog person
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Wintersports
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- What is your favourite flag? Norway's!
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Most in western Europe and northern Africa, Turkey.
- Favourite city? Dublin
- Are you wealthy? Easy come, easy go - so; no.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, fancy title: "Senior Software Engineer", although see next q.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. None; quit school at 17
- What do you like least about yourself? My lack of ability to choose clothing of matching colours (so, I wear a lot of black).

Darkhorse

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
imgres

- What is your name?
Esther
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
not at the moment, unless you call a lifelong worship of George Harrison a religion (for the impact he's had on my life, its not far off!)
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
excitable, hippy, open
- Do you have any pets?
a dog called Shanti
- Microsoft or Apple?
microsoft is the husband I've been with so long I can't imagine anything else but I don't really like, apple is the lover i dream of having the illicit affair with
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Totally non competitive yoga and mountain walking
- Do you get angry easily?
not as much as I used to
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
tattoos on my legs, wrist and arm (the arm is my George Harrison arm at the moment :) )
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. so much music i love, but if I had to pick 5, right now it would be
George Harrison, Beatles, Queens of the Stone Age (and all associated acts), Modest Mouse, Neil Young,
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Rock
- What is your favourite flag?
imgres

- Ever gone camping?
yes
- Ever been in love?
yes
- Ever used fake tan?
no
- Which countries have you visited?
Peru, Canada, France, Italy, spain, Germany, India, Austria,
- Favourite city?
Toronto
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
A Series of Unfortunate Events (currently revisiting with my son in anticipation of season 2, and very excited!), Weeds, Sons of anarchy (not sure I could stomach it again though), Coupling, Sherlock, Doctor Who
- List your five favourite films.
My top one used to be Help! but the last time I watched it I had to stop because of all the 60's 'comedy' colonialist racism. So Hard Day's Night, Goodfellas, Living in the Material World (George Harrison documentary), Pans Labyrinth, Trainspotting, most things with RDJ in
- Are you wealthy?
Not yet :)
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yoga teacher and writer
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
trained as a primary school teacher, studied programming, web design, management, adult education, yoga, stress, fascinated by the human mind, currently trying to understand diabetes, will be studying the impact of stress on diabetes, and mostly study myself through personal development, yoga practices and reflection
- What do you like most about yourself?
mostly happy and smiley, open, my writing
- What do you like least about yourself?
procrastination, self doubt, give in to fear too easily

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell