Burgen

dib

2 hours after Tescos tomato and basil soup with a slice of Burgen bread and my BG is 5.4! Thanks to all who suggested Burgen as a replacement for other breads that would have sent levels way up. Always a pleasure to discover something else that I can eat safely! :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Burgen bread was a big help to me getting my bg under control as I like to have a sandwich for my lunch, like you any other bread sent my numbers high. Recently I have started to eat a rustic granary bread that seems OK but my insulin resistance seems lower now than it used to be, no doubt helped by good control over the last two years.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Good to hear of your good reading :D Burgen has kept me sane-ish :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's great that some type 2's can tolerate Burgen bread too, I've eaten it for a while now but cover mine with insulin.

Nigel

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
The dietician told me that it's the hard to digest bits..nuts and seeds etc in Burgen that make it good for BG control and the same applies for some "no added sugar" mueslis. Lidl do a good one...or it is for me. Alan

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
noblehead said:
Burgen bread, I've eaten it for a while now but cover mine with insulin.

Nigel

You should try butter or a good spread Nigel it tastes so much better :wink:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I re-discovered my sandwich toaster the other day so decided to try one using burgen bread. It was really good :D - but I just wish that you could make just a half slice sandwich as it is very hard to give away the half of it that I can’t manage!! :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
noblehead said:
Burgen bread, I've eaten it for a while now but cover mine with insulin.

Nigel

You should try butter or a good spread Nigel it tastes so much better :wink:

Just seen this Sid! :lol:

Nigel

louiseb

I find the weighwatchers wholemeal braed has little affect on my bg.
it has 7g of carb per slice
however it is smaller than an average slice of bread I have 2 slices of this for breakfast with no huge spike in bg

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the weight watchers bread is my standby if I can't get Burgen - have to be honest although it is kind to my BS I don't really like it much - for me it doesn't seem to satisfy me and I get hungry too early afterwards and it's a bit like eating cotton wool - but hey beggars can't be choosers - I would eat that rather than go without :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
louiseb said:
I find the weighwatchers wholemeal braed has little affect on my bg.
it has 7g of carb per slice
however it is smaller than an average slice of bread I have 2 slices of this for breakfast with no huge spike in bg

Hi louise,

Is the weightwatchers bread seeded or just plain wholemeal?

Nigel

louiseb

nigel its just plain wholemeal.
I find it filling enough and I like the taste of it and most of all I like the carb content its similar in taste and slice size as the nimble bread but has slightly less carbs per slice.
I dont have any atm so cant give you an exact carb content but from memory its about 7g of carb per slice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
louiseb said:
nigel its just plain wholemeal.
I find it filling enough and I like the taste of it and most of all I like the carb content its similar in taste and slice size as the nimble bread but has slightly less carbs per slice.
I dont have any atm so cant give you an exact carb content but from memory its about 7g of carb per slice.

Thanks, I had no idea they still did nimble bread! :eek: Remember the advert on the telly back in the 70's or 80's with the nimble model in the hot air balloon. :)

Nigel

louiseb

sorry i dont know the ad as I was only born in 1982 lol
maybe you cant get nimble in your region of the uk and thats why I think its no longer for sale im in northern ireland

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Louise.
Save you having to look it up Wholemeal Nimble bread is listed as 37g per 100g weight.

A slice is said to weigh 21.9 g

Therefore one slice contains 8.10g carbs. Very low. :)

37 / 100 x 21.9 = 8.10g source: Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2011

I've seen it in my local Supermarket's.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
louiseb said:
maybe you cant get nimble in your region of the uk and thats why I think its no longer for sale im in northern ireland

I your way to young to remember louise, it's possibly it's still for sale in my region but don't get to the supermarkets often and let my good lady wife have the honour of the weekly shop.

Nigel

louiseb

thanks ken for looking it up I really like nimble bread but usually only eat the weighwatcher wholemeal its even lower again closer to 7g carbs per slice very low for bread. I low carb but dont like a cooked breakfast so its a good breakfast alternative for to have toast.
plus im weary of the fat content of a cooked breakfast as im trying to control my cholestral by diet at last check it was 5.7 total cholestral and I need to get it lower and im weary of taking statins,
mainly becuase I take so many meds full stop dont want to add to the list.

louiseb

noblehead said:
louiseb said:

I your way to young to remember louise, it's possibly it's still for sale in my region but don't get to the supermarkets often and let my good lady wife have the honour of the weekly shop.

Nigel

lol your as bad as my husband he never likes to food shop :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
louiseb said:
lol your as bad as my husband he never likes to food shop :lol:

It's a man thing...................................you women can never understand! :D

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Louise.

I have tried the Nimble but I love crusty bread and the taste and texture of the Nimble wasn't for me ! I make do with a lot less bread now than a while ago as my diet has changed to no more than 40g, somedays 50g carbs per day.

My breakfast (full english) are restricted to 2 days a week down the Pub (no shopping AND no washing up !) Nigel !! The rest of the time it's maybe cold cuts, low fat yoghurts, half a slice of toast (crusty), poached Eggs.......loads of things really.

I can't do without something first thing to start the day ! :D