Libre, metformin, thin diabetic

lt1v14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just reading a post on here and the person kept talking about libre. What is this?
Also, if you take metformin how will they know when to take you off it? isnt it the metformin which makes your bloods go down?
And is anyone else a thin diabetic? I’m finding it hard to lose weight
Thx
Lesley

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Metformin (in comparison to good diet / weight loss) runs a distant last. As for libre. try the search button here or google it for succint summaries

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You shouldn't rely on Metformin to lower your blood glucose levels. Diet will have a massive effect, are you addressing it? Diet will also address weight loss even if you are thin.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And is anyone else a thin diabetic? I’m finding it hard to lose weight
I'm confused. Why would you want to lose weight if you're thin?
Freestyle Libre is a continuous glucose monitor, mostly used by Type1s on insulin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm confused. Why would you want to lose weight if you're thin?
Freestyle Libre is a continuous glucose monitor, mosI'm guessing here) it is given to aid fat loss around the internal organs so aiding IR.y used by Type1s on insulin.
I was slim on diagnosis but was still advised to lose half a stone. Sometimes tne advice given is to enable the giver to tick the appropriate box, at other times (I'm guessing here) it is given to aid the fatloss from the internal organs thus aiding IR.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, I guess you're already on a LCHF diet? That's what most of the T2s seem to do and they they lose weight as well as improving their sugar levels?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmm, I guess you're already on a LCHF diet? That's what most of the T2s seem to do and they they lose weight as well as improving their sugar levels?

I certainly am and it has had great results for me (see my signature).

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Sorry, just to clarify, I was not overweight and never have been. Up to 20% of those diagnosed with T2 are not overweight at diagnosis. These people are referred to as TOFI (Thin on the Outside Fat on the Inside).
Being of 'normal' weight does not mean any lessening of risk factors.

lt1v14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that one of the reasons for type 2 was fat around the organs and that even if I’m slim or average sized, losing weight would help reverse it?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I thought that one of the reasons for type 2 was fat around the organs and that even if I’m slim or average sized, losing weight would help reverse it?

That is right. Losing fat in and around the liver and around the pancreas aids reversal of insulin resistance as well as overall organ health.