Test results today.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
OMG - A1c 5.6, fasting BG 5.1, cholesterol good (HDL very good, LDL good), EKG good, lungs clear, liver and kidneys good. WOOHOO!

Okay, that felt good (I know, excessive use of the word). Dr said my vitamin B12 is very low and I'm to take supplements (1000 units of B12, and B complex) for two months and we will retest. If not high enough, she'll give me an injection.

My question is, since B vitamins help convert carbs, proteins and fats to energy, might that be why I only lose weight at a rate of approximately 1 lb per month while eating low carb?

Thoughts /opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't answer you Vitamin B question but.....

WELL DONE

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fantastic Numbers, very well done!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
OMG - A1c 5.6, fasting BG 5.1, cholesterol good (HDL very good, LDL good), EKG good, lungs clear, liver and kidneys good. WOOHOO!

Okay, that felt good (I know, excessive use of the word). Dr said my vitamin B12 is very low and I'm to take supplements (1000 units of B12, and B complex) for two months and we will retest. If not high enough, she'll give me an injection.

My question is, since B vitamins help convert carbs, proteins and fats to energy, might that be why I only lose weight at a rate of approximately 1 lb per month while eating low carb?

I had a similar experience with B12, all my doctor would say is 'it's normal for you', but it was very low. Neither did he point out that Metformin (which I was on at the time) lowers B12.
When I was tested last year , after being off Metformin for 12 months, my B12 was higher than the normal range. Again 'nothing to worry about, but you should probably stop taking the B12 supplements'.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you all. @BrianTheElder, I haven't started taking the supplements yet, and I'm not on Metformin, but will follow doctor's advice as it's only for two months, hopefully with no side effects.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent result. You must be delighted! Well done - because it takes some work.

What did doc say? Do they know how you are eating?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Well done on the fab numbers. Below is a chart of symptoms of deficiency none of which link to failure to lose weight:

Poor hair condition

Eczema or dermitis

Mouth ulcer, sensitive to heat or cold

Irritability

Lack of energy

Constipation

Tender or sore muscles

Pale Skin

Weight loss on lchf is not guaranteed and you are still losing an amount that will add up to nearly 1 stone over the year. Could be that you are close to being at the right weight for you so weight loss inevitably slows. Perhaps focusing on body circumference measurements might show you progress via fat loss. Hope you feel better for the B12 jabs in any case!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Excellent result. You must be delighted! Well done - because it takes some work.

What did doc say? Do they know how you are eating?
Thank you, I am delighted. I did mention that I avoided most carbs and she was good with that.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done on the fab numbers. Below is a chart of symptoms of deficiency none of which link to failure to lose weight:

Poor hair condition

Eczema or dermitis

Mouth ulcer, sensitive to heat or cold

Irritability

Lack of energy

Constipation

Tender or sore muscles

Pale Skin

Weight loss on lchf is not guaranteed and you are still losing an amount that will add up to nearly 1 stone over the year. Could be that you are close to being at the right weight for you so weight loss inevitably slows. Perhaps focusing on body circumference measurements might show you progress via fat loss. Hope you feel better for the B12 jabs in any case!
Thanks. Hmm, I do have most of those symptoms but I always associated them with diabetes. We're trying pills first.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, those are inspiring results. I hope you have been dancing round the house and celebrating. :)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done, those are inspiring results. I hope you have been dancing round the house and celebrating. :)
Thanks. lol, I always dance around the house. (Doctor said I must walk a lot...ha!)

Reactions: Bluetit1802