hello, newbie here

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
recently dx with diabetes type 2 15th may 08 :roll: no meds as yet controlling with diet
have been having a mooch on forum, dont know where to start really, ,only read mostly topics as yet , btw i can only type with the one finger, well maybe 2 if pushed :lol: found the forum and some topics confusing , re low carbs, would like to know more about that, as have been told i should eat carbs at everymeal, i am 68yrs old wonder if its a forum for all ages i have other medical probs to cope with too, some long term some new , maybe this is enough info for now :)

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hi jeenie, I'm a newbie as well, I just joined last night. I haven't actually got diabetes, but my mum has type 2 and I had a scare last month when I did a home glucose kit and it was higher than average. :( Luckily, it was just a one-off but I'm now seeing my practice nurse every fortnight and I'm trying to lose weight. I've lost 5 pounds so far :D but I was wonderingif anyone had any thoughts on the GI diet :?: My mum tried to follow it but she likes her white bread and proper butter too much! If anyone has any success stories I'd love to hear them.
Bubsy Malone :wink:

sixfoot

Jeanie / Bugsy... Welcome to the site and hope it can be of use to you both. For T2s your diet is probably the most important tool apart from medication. If your BS stay high the risk is complications. Therefore control is important. You both seem to have read the various Carbs threads, yes it is complicated at first for most. In short Carbohydrates .... Sugars and Starches......... Potatoes ...... Bread...... Pasta....Rice and Fruit Juices will all have to varying degrees raising effect on your BS.
The GI glycemic Index is a useful tool in deciding which foods containing Carbs will impact on your BS. Generally the lower number the better.
Enough Preaching
My advice read the Carbs threads and any involving food, There is a wealth of wisdom here and many who can give good advice. You almost certainly will have some questions to ask away

Dave P

millie

Hi Jeenie, I am a newbie 2 i was diognosed on the 10th of july. It was such a big shock to me and my family because there is nobody else in my family that has got diabetes. i have got t1, but i find it really hard and i cry nearly every day because my friends can just eat when ever they want to i can't.

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Millie, sorry your upset with your dx, yes it is pretty upsetting, and it is early days yet, for you and ,your family , i,m sure they will help to get you sorted, i dont know how old you are, but i hope it gets easier for you to cope, and looks like you will get plenty of support on here, maybe you could get your friends to help too

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bubsy Malone said:
Hi jeenie, I'm a newbie as well, I just joined last night. I haven't actually got diabetes, but my mum has type 2 and I had a scare last month when I did a home glucose kit and it was higher than average. :( Luckily, it was just a one-off but I'm now seeing my practice nurse every fortnight and I'm trying to lose weight. I've lost 5 pounds so far :D but I was wonderingif anyone had any thoughts on the GI diet :?: My mum tried to follow it but she likes her white bread and proper butter too much! If anyone has any success stories I'd love to hear them.
Bubsy Malone :wink:
HIi Bugsie, :) as i,m new to it all, sorry cant help you , good on you for looking out for yourself though, Well done, :) keep up the good work

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sixfoot said:
Jeanie / Bugsy... Welcome to the site and hope it can be of use to you both. For T2s your diet is probably the most important tool apart from medication. If your BS stay high the risk is complications. Therefore control is important. You both seem to have read the various Carbs threads, yes it is complicated at first for most. In short Carbohydrates .... Sugars and Starches......... Potatoes ...... Bread...... Pasta....Rice and Fruit Juices will all have to varying degrees raising effect on your BS.
The GI glycemic Index is a useful tool in deciding which foods containing Carbs will impact on your BS. Generally the lower number the better.
Enough Preaching
My advice read the Carbs threads and any involving food, There is a wealth of wisdom here and many who can give good advice. You almost certainly will have some questions to ask away

Dave P
Thanks Dave :) for the welcome, its all a bit confusing at the moment, as in my case i,m undergoing tests for angina, so as well as looking for info on the diabetes, i'm also haveing to look at info for the angina, i,m also a cancer surviver, 61/2 years, so not doing so bad :lol:

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hi jeenie, thanx 4 the reply. gud luck with the angina tests and well done for being clear 4 so long. My gran died of cancer when my dad was 14, so send all my best 2 your family. Haven't been online 4 a few days, my teenager broke up 4 the hols and has been hogging the comp ha ha :) Anyway, I'm gonna sign off now cos it's my birthday 2moro and my parents are taking us out for a posh meal. Need to get on the exercise bike to make up for it :) C ya later,
Bubsy

ChocFish

Jeenie, good luck with your angina test, you have done well and you are a cancer survivor too, just like I am, keep going!

All the best

Karen x