Hba1c at 6 weeks pregnant

gemmag

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
This is my 1st post on here. I am T1D (for 6years now) and 36 years old. I am pregnant for the first time and just had a hba1c test st 6/7 weeks which came back at 7% (53mmol). I am absolutely terrified of doing harm to my unborn child due to high sugars. Would this be classed as high/ harmful?
My hba1c pre-pregnancy was 6.8% (51mmol) so I know I've not met the recommended target. I have been taking folic acid for a few months in preparation.
Does anyone have any advice or experience to share with a scared 1st time mum to be please?!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. I understand the terror having done 3 diabetic pregnancies. I did not have perfect blood sugars and it was terrifying to think I might be damaging my vulnerable baby. I didn't and whilst that is no guarantee that your baby will be okay, all you can do is keep calm and carry on (anxiety does not help blood sugars either). Be aware of over treating with correction doses so that you don't end up swinging from hypos to hyper which will be worse for you and your baby than a slightly elevated blood sugar.
As your pregnancy progresses you will have an increased blood volume and I think that means better HBA1cs. So enjoy that bit! You may then get higher sugars due to the hormone induced insulin resistance.
Do you have a fsl or other cgm to keep an eye on yourself more easily?
Lastly I would say that being t1 diabetic whilst pregnant did give me better access to medical care and more scans so if you are truly anxious see if you can get an early 9 week scan. best of luck and try to eujoy it!

Reactions: CranberryIce