Help / advice

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Need some advice please .
I have just had my bloods done and my ldl has increase from 6.3 to 6.6mmol/l ... but my Trigs have gone from 1.6mmol/l to 2.7
Hdl/trig ratio was 1.8 and is now 3.2...
The good news is after 9 months my bloods have reduced from 109 mmol/mol to 40 !!!!

So sugars under control but what is happening to my choĺestrol.. my doc wants me on statins.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Lost some weight recently?

Marvellous news about the BG. Well done and keep it up.

Your GP is obliged to offer you statins, but you are not obliged to accept them.

I am very much anti-statin having had bad experiences. My lipids have been high for a while but at the last test the balance was fine so there was no talk of pills.

If you sort out your BG your lipids can be all over the place for a while but should settle down (hopefully).

Oh, what did you do to get such good BG results in 9 months?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You have made a swift and quite drastic change (Congratulations!) to the way you are living re diet and excercise which reflects on all your numbers. The change can throw your lipids into a spin until your metabolism catches up. The statin question is up to you, you have a choice here. Hang on for a while and do some reading up on cholesterol whilst giving your body time to adjust or take the statin. Either way, don't be pressured into doing anything you are not happy about.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost some weight recently?

Marvellous news about the BG. Well done and keep it up.

Your GP is obliged to offer you statins, but you are not obliged to accept them.

I am very much anti-statin having had bad experiences. My lipids have been high for a while but at the last test the balance was fine so there was no talk of pills.

If you sort out your BG your lipids can be all over the place for a while but should settle down (hopefully).

Oh, what did you do to get such good BG results in 9 months?
I went against the nhs and nice guide line and ate low carb and high fat.
It's was difficult at first but it is just a way of life now.

I've lost 45lb too . I feel great !

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have made a swift and quite drastic change (Congratulations!) to the way you are living re diet and excercise which reflects on all your numbers. The change can throw your lipids into a spin until your metabolism catches up. The statin question is up to you, you have a choice here. Hang on for a while and do some reading up on cholesterol whilst giving your body time to adjust or take the statin. Either way, don't be pressured into doing anything you are not happy about.
I don't want the statins. I have my bloods sugars under control I just need to understand how my choĺestrol and then try and sort it lol ..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't want the statins. I have my bloods sugars under control I just need to understand how my choĺestrol and then try and sort it lol ..

My personal advice would be to give it time. Ivor Cummins has a great lecture on this whole topic on youtube, it is called 'The Cholesterol Conundrum' and is well worth a viewing. There are short interviews with Aseem Malhotra (Cardiologist) and Prof. Ken Sikaris (Pathologist) that are quite iluminating. Good luck.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I went against the nhs and nice guide line and ate low carb and high fat.
It's was difficult at first but it is just a way of life now.

I've lost 45lb too . I feel great !

Yes, plenty of reasons for your lipid profile to be different. Hang tough and wait for things to settle down. :)

Reactions: grante

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss is notorious for raising cholesterol numbers, so I should wait for things to stabilise before getting too concerned.

Also, was your test a fasting test, or had you eaten a meal beforehand?
If it was a low carb meal, then your triglycerides would be raised from the meal.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss is notorious for raising cholesterol numbers, so I should wait for things to stabilise before getting too concerned.

Also, was your test a fasting test, or had you eaten a meal beforehand?
If it was a low carb meal, then your triglycerides would be raised from the meal.
Low carb meal and fasted for 12 hours however I did have a glass of wine the night before

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. When I was diagnosed, I had bed parameters of cholesterol. Within 4 month I lost 20kg and the cholesterol parameters after these 4 month were in the limits.

My diet was only LC, because I did not counted fat or proteins, just removed the carbs... I excercised 2x in one day, morning weight lifting and evening 6km run. Huh, brutal 4 month...