ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Agreed, I too am an early to bed and (usually) early to rise person. As I understand it, you are an insulin user and I'm truly sympathetic to the thought of nightmares, where you knocked unconscious by a passing bus, left on a hospital trolley, fed jelly babies when you need insulin and vice versa by well meaning but ill informed folk. However, on this thread we are talking about people who are on no meds, have got rid of all perceptible diabetes symptoms and are, in all respects "normal" and don't require special treatment in accident situations and will not become unconscious due to hypos or excess ketones.
Sally
Are you sure? This has never been tested. Surely?

Anyway. Its a personal choice, if the nhs think they can save money I'm sure they will drop as many resolved diet only controlled diabetics, they can.
I have reversed my diabetes before but cannot prove it with retested Hba1cs.. My life is full of adventure and risks. Only after having 2 pregnancies on insulin, for my babies needs, am I hugely IR and moving house twice after just having a baby has probables damaged my back. I too acted and treated my body like a none diabetic.

I'm on here to help people not end up like me, not to glorify severe IR and its 41+yrs of its affects.
I'm sorry that my insulin taking upsets you but I like to see what adventures I have lined up next!

Happyhomelands

@VinnyJames I sympathise with your views. You had a problem, you worked out what caused it, and therefore stopped doing it, no more problem. If you have a problem again, you can make a doctors appointment, remind them that you once had diabetic sugar levels, have a blood test and collect a scrip for metformin. In the meantime, why should a GP collect extra funding for a condition that his/her patient doesn't have and you pay extra for your holiday insurance etc.
Sally
Is type 2 diabetes a trigger for more expensive holiday insurance. Have forum members experienced this?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely it is wrong to remove people from the diabetes register however good their control Is it just to save money on giving us retinal scans regular blood tests and reviews. They know as well as we do that once a diabetic always a diabetic whatever our GB levels are. Until there is a cure the best we can only ever have is well controlled ..ie remission.. and that could alter at any time due to changes in our lives like stress. illness. family problems and many other factors

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I’d be very upset to miss out on my annual eye screening.

That weird affect where you go outside afterwards and you are blinded by the glare even on a dark overcast day is hard to beat.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is type 2 diabetes a trigger for more expensive holiday insurance. Have forum members experienced this?

I have not been “penalised” on my insurance, although I always declare my T2D.

I can only speak as a diet controlled bod, so I have no knowledge of how travel insurance companies deal with others.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I travelled numerous times on insulin and on 2 occasions also obviously pregnant. The insurance didn't stop me affording the holiday nor spend on the luxuries that does with a summer holiday. (buying 2 large expensive purfumes at duty-free to use on hols and bring back).
Ive never allowed insulin to stop me do anything, in fact the opposite.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just remembered one more big disadvantage of being taken off the register.

No longer diabetic - no more VAT free strips, meters, or Libre sensors. Unless of course you tell a porky.
:arghh::arghh:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Maybe the advantage is no medical appointments or a GP check-up on self-management.

I know a few people who would like to just self-management and have no medical check-ups. It gets too much for them. :(

We are all different.
Luckily the nhs is there to give diabetes care, even emotional care. Mental health is now being treated.

It takes all sorts to make a world. I'm pleased there are people out there so different to me. That's what makes life interesting!

Reactions: VinnyJames

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My GP has stated that he will never remove me from the register, and I am OK with that as I have experienced no disadvantages from being on it. And as having MG will be on the meds that caused my diabetes in the first place indefinitely will although in remission never be totally free of it.

I do believe however that individual choice should come into it and that if a person in remission and has been asymptomatic for such a long time they should if it is their wish be allowed to be removed from the register.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I would think that everyone should be able to request removal if that is their wish, irrespective of how their condition has progressed or not.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@britishpub I don't think the nhs has exclusive rights to our medical status. I'm sure mental health status has been misconstrued in the past for many patients. I know it can take years for some incorrect diagnoses to be rectified.
However this is not a mistake but a resolution.
If such a possibility to cure type2 then it should be removed from register but until a cure I personally feel patients will be failed in the future.
More procedures are on the offing for type2s coming out, to assist a reversal... but still no cure.

Type2 will get a cure as they know more now why it happens.
All individual whys.
Not one cure will be needed. I'm afraid.
But they will get us cured, as many as they can.
There will always be an exception.
Even for cancer cures.

Ive always said those in remission are the closes to a cure. Dr Bernstein's said the same. He believes a cure will be found one day.

I'm happy to be removed from a diabetes register once I'm cured. Remission, I've had before. Only temporary for me. My IR is brittle. I'd only confuse medics so I'll be happy to be removed once mine has gone... permanently.

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@VinnyJames in the scenario of a car accident and you're left unconscious. How would you like the emergency team to treat you? As a diabetic or a none diabetic?

Personally I'd like my emergency team be able to access as much info as they can to treat me... correctly.

Yes, this was very important to me as well. It is a theme that comes up often in the forum, and for good reason. I found out, on going to an un-diabetes related physiotherapy appointment at an outpatient clinic in my city, that I had on my official medical records that I was on metformin. My new physio had a list of my (not!) medications in front of her, including statins from the same situation. I was shocked, as all it takes is un-updated records as I am very well aware of now. I had it prescribed initially at my diagnosis (when my HBA1c was 93) (and with high cholesterol), but did not take either with my GP's full knowledge, and subsequent follow-up. I was closely monitored in other words. But I have never taken it, and had no other prescriptions for them.

So I rang my GPs office, and talked to the nurse and said how important it was that I not get any medications pumped into me in the car accident and hospitalisation scenario.ie that my records be very properly updated with this info. This happened. (I called up a week later and made sure it did!)

My family, too, have all been alerted to bringing in my own food, in this hospital scenario. And as a frequent intermittent faster, I know I would be fine on no-food for a while until my family was able to start bringing in low-carb food for me. (NZ is no different to any other OECD country and high carb low fat fare is standard in such institutional situations - terrible for us metabolically dysregulated folks using low-carb food and exercise to be better.) (I won't even go there in a possible in-prisoning scenario! ;):).) (OK, OK - maybe bulking up in the gym there might have multiple survival factors on its side!:nailbiting: ;):).)

But totally understandable that we are concerned for what might happen to us physically if we are pumped with dynamite medications we are not actually using normally to and not adapted to, and forced to eat food that puts our health in danger.