Another question: food

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP says I should mainly or exclusively eat veg - no protein (other than some pulses I imagine). I thought as long as I cut the (simple) carbs, that would get my blood sugar down. I am reluctant to live a life without meat and fish - is this really necessary?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP says I should mainly or exclusively eat veg - no protein (other than some pulses I imagine). I thought as long as I cut the (simple) carbs, that would get my blood sugar down. I am reluctant to live a life without meat and fish - is this really necessary?
Weird! Did your GP say why?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Go see someone else as unless there's something else radically wrong, meat and fish are fine

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only that this was the way to get my blood sugar down
Your GP is probably unique in this opinion. I can't see any sense in it. Eating low carb and compensating with more fat and protein, so as not to be hungry, is successful with many people including me.

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your GP is probably unique in this opinion. I can't see any sense in it. Eating low carb and compensating with more fat and protein, so as not to be hungry, is successful with many people including me.
Thank you - very reassuring

as34bc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your GP is one of the very few that is giving correct advice. I changed my diet to 100% WHOLE food plant based and reversed my T2 diabetes in less than 1 year. I started with HBA1C of 94 and brought it down to 37 one year later. I took Metformin for a couple of weeks at the start and then stopped all medication.

The problem with your GP's advice is that it is very hard to follow. You have to be very dedicated.

I am continuing with this diet as I know that the diabetes will come back if I revert back to my old habits.

Reactions: kokhongw

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your GP is one of the very few that is giving correct advice. I changed my diet to 100% WHOLE food plant based and reversed my T2 diabetes in less than 1 year. I started with HBA1C of 94 and brought it down to 37 one year later. I took Metformin for a couple of weeks at the start and then stopped all medication.

The problem with your GP's advice is that it is very hard to follow. You have to be very dedicated.

I am continuing with this diet as I know that the diabetes will come back if I revert back to my old habits.

Could you please tell me what you eat in a typical day? I’m baffled by this

as34bc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Search online for whole food plant based to learn what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Essentialy you follow a vegan diet in which you only eat whole foods and avoid refined foods.

I start the day with a large smoothie made of 3-5 different fruits and some green leaves like kale or spinach. My mid morning snickers will be 1 slice of toast made of German/Scandinavian style Rye bread (Biona do some nice ones) with pumpkin butter (again, Biona).

My lunch would be a salad that I may bulk up with chick peas or beans, or whole wheat pasta, or a rice dish made with brown rice.

My snacks during the day would be restricted to fruits.

Dinner will be whatever I can be bothered to cook. There are a lot of recipes online and on YouTube.

Whole food means I can have brown rice but not white rice, wholemeal flour but no white flour, fruits but no juice. Oil is not allowed so I had to learn how to cook without oil. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that teach this.

Most doctors will tell you to limit the amount of fruits. I actually increased my fruit intake tenfold after I was diagnosed.

Another thing I did is to buy organic foods as much as possible, especially the foods that get sprayed the most like salads and soft fruits.

Read the ingredients on any processed products that you buy. Anything with oil or fat, sugar, dairy, or other chemicals that you do not know what they are should be avoided.

Reactions: Tannith

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your GP is one of the very few that is giving correct advice.
Hi as34bc,
You can't claim this is the correct advice only this advice was correct for you. Not trying to pick a fight just what works for you might not work for me and vice versa. :meh:

You can say you received this advice and it worked great for you and encourage others to try it too.
I changed my diet to 100% WHOLE food plant based and reversed my T2 diabetes in less than 1 year.
I am aware of followers of the 5:2 blood sugar diet and achieved the same results in 3 months.
So the advice worked for you and I happy for you not putting you down, but this different approach may have worked for you too and had quicker results. ;)
:bag:

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I changed my diet to 100% WHOLE food plant based and reversed my T2 diabetes in less than 1 year.
beans, or whole wheat pasta, or a rice dish made with brown rice.
Basicaly only carbs. I'm sceptical as I experimented with all of that and my BG reacted to this food as to any other carbs.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am reluctant to live a life without meat and fish - is this really necessary?

For some of us meat and fish works out just fine...here is what happened to my glucose level when I eat a nice plate of roast pork belly for lunch...it flatline between 5.0-5.5 mmol...

19030730_10155495594244445_403684939994575683_n.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So your doctor is a vegan. Please ignore everything they say.
As well as some of the Whole Plant Based posts here unless you really want too eat that way.
We all have different diets that work best for us but if you want to eat meat and fish then do so.
Green veg are good - fruits we have had that conversation on another thread.
Cream butter eggs cheese all the nice things that are supposedly "bad for us"
There is a huge amount of info on those diet doctor pages that we linked to in the other thread so I'd start by looking there.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP says I should mainly or exclusively eat veg - no protein
Hi peridot,
I'm not aware of any diet that wants you to cut out protein.

Your Dr recommended you use pulses as a source of protein, that seems counter productive beans, lentils etc... are usual high-ish in carbs. Which would raise you blood sugars. :banghead:

Most of us in here have had great results in controlling blood sugar by reducing carbs and fruit, eating more veg and proteins fish meat, chicken, cheese etc...

I don't wan to tell you to go against your Dr's advice but Dr's can be wrong. ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For some of us meat and fish works out just fine...here is what happened to my glucose level when I eat a nice plate of roast pork belly for lunch...it flatline between 5.0-5.5 mmol...

19030730_10155495594244445_403684939994575683_n.jpg
Can you please send the stuff in the top picture over to my address, per expresse? I think I need it right now.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great to have a someone who took a different route to success...

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So your doctor is a vegan.
OK I didn't what to come right out and say that Peridot.
But yes it does sound likely your Dr is giving you advice biased on there own life style choices and what they believe is good for you.

But some people believe God put dinosaurs bones in the ground to trick palaeontologists ;)

Reactions: Peridot

as34bc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi as34bc,
You can't claim this is the correct advice only this advice was correct for you. Not trying to pick a fight just what works for you might not work for me and vice versa. :meh:

You can say you received this advice and it worked great for you and encourage others to try it too.

I am aware of followers of the 5:2 blood sugar diet and achieved the same results in 3 months.
So the advice worked for you and I happy for you not putting you down, but this different approach may have worked for you too and had quicker results. ;)
Yes. I should have said that it worked for me and that does not mean it will work for everyone.

I need to lose some weight so I am also going to try the 5:2 diet.

Reactions: ziggy_w