Dapagliflozin research for cardiac study

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I have been invited (via gp refferal) to go on a trial taking Dapagliflozin (alongside my prescribed meds) but not for diabetic research but cardiology research, apparently if you have a hardening of your heart muscle which some diabetics develop this drug has been known to help prevent problems. I have had the initial tests and been accepted on to the year long trial. I will not know if i am on the drug or a placebo so hence my interest of side affects. Surely I will know if I'm peeing more I could be on Dapa?
I struggle with my bgl and weight so it will be interesting if this helps .
The study is being carried out at the clinical research centre at Ninewells hospital in Dundee, I understand they are still looking for participants. I will keep everyone posted on progress.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been invited (via gp refferal) to go on a trial taking Dapagliflozin (alongside my prescribed meds) but not for diabetic research but cardiology research, apparently if you have a hardening of your heart muscle which some diabetics develop this drug has been known to help prevent problems. I have had the initial tests and been accepted on to the year long trial. I will not know if i am on the drug or a placebo so hence my interest of side affects. Surely I will know if I'm peeing more I could be on Dapa?
I struggle with my bgl and weight so it will be interesting if this helps .
The study is being carried out at the clinical research centre at Ninewells hospital in Dundee, I understand they are still looking for participants. I will keep everyone posted on progress.

Exciting times!

There are quite a number of trials going on for this class of meds at the moment. There's another one near me, looking into it, for those people who find it tricky to lose weight.

Whilst one might think it would be a great clue that you are on the med, if you find yourself going to the loo more, but I also wouldn't underestimate the power of the mind and the placebo effect.

Good luck with the research. I've never qualified for any trial, but I do know people who have, and the trialists are usually very well looked after.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Exciting times!

There are quite a number of trials going on for this class of meds at the moment. There's another one near me, looking into it, for those people who find it tricky to lose weight.

Whilst one might think it would be a great clue that you are on the med, if you find yourself going to the loo more, but I also wouldn't underestimate the power of the mind and the placebo effect.

Good luck with the research. I've never qualified for any trial, but I do know people who have, and the trialists are usually very well looked after.

Hi there
well update, I qualified for the trial after initial interview and tests. and yesterday went for the first of the big tests/interviews, fasting bloods done, then an hour and a half in an MRI, breath in breath out hold your breath! because I have a very slow heart rate this took along time, 18/20 seconds holding yer breath aint easy, well that done and more questions over a coffee and hobnob biccie, Then given a supply of the medication( don't know if it dapa or placebo) and fitted with a 24 hr blood pressure monitor, Now there is a thing... bleeping every 15 mins and the arm cuff is extra tight because of heart rate, my arm going red/purple but i will stick it out as only for a day! coming off at 11am today. The doctor doing this study is very appreciative of participants. Really nice fella. he rang last night to check all was ok as I took first tablet yesterday morning, so far all is well. To be honest I slept like a log for the first time in ages, I get dawn phenomenon most nights but last night it didn't happen but bs still high this morning. we will see how it goes.

Reactions: ickihun

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there
well update, I qualified for the trial after initial interview and tests. and yesterday went for the first of the big tests/interviews, fasting bloods done, then an hour and a half in an MRI, breath in breath out hold your breath! because I have a very slow heart rate this took along time, 18/20 seconds holding yer breath aint easy, well that done and more questions over a coffee and hobnob biccie, Then given a supply of the medication( don't know if it dapa or placebo) and fitted with a 24 hr blood pressure monitor, Now there is a thing... bleeping every 15 mins and the arm cuff is extra tight because of heart rate, my arm going red/purple but i will stick it out as only for a day! coming off at 11am today. The doctor doing this study is very appreciative of participants. Really nice fella. he rang last night to check all was ok as I took first tablet yesterday morning, so far all is well. To be honest I slept like a log for the first time in ages, I get dawn phenomenon most nights but last night it didn't happen but bs still high this morning. we will see how it goes.

It's such a great shame that some of these research programmes struggle to find participants.

As you are finding out, you are well looked after during the study and have lots of additional health checks. We have a chap at our local DUK support group who has signed up for a few cardiac related studies as he feels he has had a raft of cardiac testing he's never have had otherwise. As he family history is a trail of cardiac disease, I can understand that.

Good luck with it all @Hpetal .

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
It's such a great shame that some of these research programmes struggle to find participants.

As you are finding out, you are well looked after during the study and have lots of additional health checks. We have a chap at our local DUK support group who has signed up for a few cardiac related studies as he feels he has had a raft of cardiac testing he's never have had otherwise. As he family history is a trail of cardiac disease, I can understand that.

Good luck with it all @Hpetal .

Thanks and yes I agree very through in tests not normally done. will keep everyone updated

Reactions: DCUKMod

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
Well quick update on thoughts now. 12 days after the official start of trial medication ( do not know if it is dapa or a placebo) by day 2 I have no dawn phenomenon, yes i am peeing more but counteracting that by drinking more water. By day 6 my BG readings are 2 full points down, and morning fasting ones are under 10 wha who that is brill for me! I have been sleeping better and seem to have more energy. and lost 2.5 kgs in weight.
my diabetic nurse reckons it's dapa! go back to see the researcher on the 13th April so will let you know blood results. Excited I am..... One thing nurse did say was if my numbers continue to fall perhaps when the trial finishes They can take me off the troublesome metformin...well glucophage sr! as I do suffer severe tummy issues. Just that in itself is a plus for my wellbeing. So do you think I am on the real drug or is it all mind over matter??

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
:):):) So so happy! had an appointment with the research team last Friday, Results are in!
My fasting blood is down to 7.7 ok for some that may not be good but for me who was struggling to get below 10 this is great. I have lost another 2 kgs. and my blood pressure is so good very low in fact, researcher going to suggest I come off Atenonol. The best thing is my Hab1c result..... in Febuary it was 80 and today it is now wait for it...... 6.3 kaboom I am so happy, I was smiling all around the supermarket!
Surely this must be that I am not on the placebo pill. Got to be the real Dapa pill with results like this.
I feel full of energy, sleep better and have no dawn phenonenom syptoms like before the trial and I am able to cope with stresses in life easier.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:):):) So so happy! had an appointment with the research team last Friday, Results are in!
My fasting blood is down to 7.7 ok for some that may not be good but for me who was struggling to get below 10 this is great. I have lost another 2 kgs. and my blood pressure is so good very low in fact, researcher going to suggest I come off Atenonol. The best thing is my Hab1c result..... in Febuary it was 80 and today it is now wait for it...... 6.3 kaboom I am so happy, I was smiling all around the supermarket!
Surely this must be that I am not on the placebo pill. Got to be the real Dapa pill with results like this.
I feel full of energy, sleep better and have no dawn phenonenom syptoms like before the trial and I am able to cope with stresses in life easier.

Gosh - That really is excellent news. For those for whom Dapathingyflozin is an excellent drug. There is a lot of research going on around it to explore many things relating to it's use. I'm really pleased that whatever you are taking, and whatever work you are doing, it seems to be working for you.

Stick with it!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This class of drugs is the only drugs that remove the suger from the body, all other drugs just move the suger to a different part of the body. Clealy the other way to remove the suger is intermitant fasting combined woth low carb.

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
This class of drugs is the only drugs that remove the suger from the body, all other drugs just move the suger to a different part of the body. Clealy the other way to remove the suger is intermitant fasting combined woth low carb.
Hi Ringi yes I do low carb and occassionally fast for a day if I am busy I miss lunch. But saying that I have been doing that along time before starting the trial. So I am sold on the Dapathingyflozin ! clinically I personally think for those struggling with bs levels it should be explored, and if it has a beneficial effect on the heart muscle all the better. My next visit is not until July so we will see how results are then. Just it has given me such a boost I wanted to share!

Reactions: joss.t2 and ringi